the hifi journey...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

I think you have to live with new components of any system for quite a few weeks to appreciate whether you like them or not. Took me nearly three weeks to make up my mind between existing PMC DB1's and Harbeth P3ESR's speakers. The new amp and CDP took a similar amount of time before I became accustomed to it's sound signature.

D

Deleted member 188516

I think you have to live with new components of any system for quite a few weeks to appreciate whether you like them or not. Took me nearly three weeks to make up my mind between existing PMC DB1's and Harbeth P3ESR's speakers. The new amp and CDP took a similar amount of time before I became accustomed to it's sound signature.

+1

Jimboo

You may have a point Doug but you still shouldn't be owning a system you spend good money on and still feel unsatisfied with the system and spend more money chasing the never ending , always spending merry go round, besides Mr advice. I don't think you had even heard your last purchase before buying it?😏

D

Deleted member 188516

You may have a point Doug but you still shouldn't be owning a system you spend good money on and still feel unsatisfied with the system and spend more money chasing the never ending , always spending merry go round, besides Mr advice. I don't think you had even heard your last purchase before buying it?😏

thing is dont we get "unsatisfied" with our systems eventually and then the upgrade bug bites ?

it then becomes the challenge of purchasing a "proper" upgrade and not just a different sounding system / component.

Jimboo

Well, if you believe there is a proper upgrade to be had. It sounds different it must be better. The idea of challenges and matching comes from that little voice in your head and the magazine/articles/awards that we pour over.
I mean it's the same point I keep having to make. Listen before you buy. If it moves you it always will. The seemingly lack of mentions on hi-fi forums of the recordings being played is worrying. New record pressings v old for instance and often pre re-mastered c.ds are better than a cartridge or dac change.
The truth is for many a headline or an award and the right write up is what triggers the need. Budget restrictions to be fair are different. Then you should save and listen. The difference in classical recordings can make you think that so much is missing from your system and another feel like you are there conducting.
I have just played a 38 year old record and I am playing it again after a good clean with distilled water and a good vigorous wipe with my cleaning cloths and everything opens up , sound and depth along with clarity lacking before the true source of any hifi the format contained in the grooves or disc.It sounds like I put the volume up , I hadn't. A good recording is paramount. Some records will never sound right ( manics/ harsh or the red hot chilli peppers c.d I had to give away it was awful) The Buzzcocks reissued first album is just dead compared to the original. These are the things that matter.
The whole hifi experience is in the playing of the recording , better the right copy than the right cables.

D

Deleted member 108165

You are quite correct I did purchase the Ruby system without actually hearing it. I've had various Marantz gear over the last eight years and have not been disappointed, so the blind purchase did not fill me with any trepidation whatsoever. I also did the same with the change of speakers. What I did not expect is the large step-up in performance over my last system... but it has come at a price.

None of these changes were made without trawling through reviews and actually consulting people who own the components. I'm also a member of another excellent hi-fi forum where the breadth of knowledge and ownership far exceeds any found on this forum.

Sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is and commit instead of wasting dealers time. I doubt I would have upgraded if I had heard the Ruby's at a dealer audition, or even a one week home demo. The same goes for the speakers as they were the hardest decision to make as it took a considerable time to appreciate the subtleties between them, in the end the Harbeth's were a better fit to my ears.

Yes, it pays to audition... but I've actually been quite successful buying blind. Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch.

D

Deleted member 108165

thing is dont we get "unsatisfied" with our systems eventually and then the upgrade bug bites ?

it then becomes the challenge of purchasing a "proper" upgrade and not just a different sounding system / component.
Couldn't have put it better myself (y)

D

Deleted member 108165

The recording is indeed everything. Original vinyl always sounds better than any remastered cr*p to me, basically all the remasters I've heard sound dire, regardless of format. For certain favourite 70's artists I even go as far as purchasing the original vinyl over any digital media; LPs sound far better.

insider9

He used to be a member on here before the forum shut down. Great chap, if only I could remember his moniker. It's on the end of my tongue. Remember he did work on power supplies for Arcam in the past and lent me a fancy power cable once.

D

Deleted member 188516

The recording is indeed everything. Original vinyl always sounds better than any remastered cr*p to me, basically all the remasters I've heard sound dire, regardless of format. For certain favourite 70's artists I even go as far as purchasing the original vinyl over any digital media; LPs sound far better.

i agree with this 100% !

as my system(s) improved in the past i started to reject certain records as they no longer sounded good and found myself listening to music (genres) i never before liked !

(often classical as they contained "real" instruments as such).

Jimboo

Because the dealer was unwilling to accept returns or offer more than a years warranty. Remarkable really. They did such a good job to grab my attention and yet were uninterested in sealing the deal by not offering what was available elsewhere.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Here's the thing. To find a system you like the sound of all you have to do is sit on your arse and listen in a dealers listening room.
The question is , why is that so hard ?
I’ve always found demos at HiFi dealers to be very unscientific. The whole process of comparing kit, listening intentently, repeating the same tracks over and over again trying to discern different characteristics and making a choice just ends up being stressful. The room is always so different, the use of expensive esoteric cables and power supplies, just unrealistic and over the top. This is especially true when you are just say upgrading an amp or CD player to add to your system. Conversely, I think reading reviews carefully and understanding the type of sound you want is more beneficial. Then you can order online and trade in your own kit by part exchange, plus because you have bought online, returns and refunds are a guarantee. However, the only way you will ever know if you really like a piece of kit or complete system is by ownership. Living with the purchases for a few months and getting used to the sound is the true test. Then you will either become increasingly disappointed and frustrated by what you have bought, or grow to like and enjoy it more, the longer you own it. Hopefully if the latter occurs, you will then lose all thoughts of upgrade itus and reach some kind of contentment, or art least inertia will set in. These thoughts are from someone who started in 1982.

D

Deleted member 188516

I’ve always found demos at HiFi dealers to be very unscientific. The whole process of comparing kit, listening intentently, repeating the same tracks over and over again trying to discern different characteristics and making a choice just ends up being stressful. The room is always so different, the use of expensive esoteric cables and power supplies, just unrealistic and over the top. This is especially true when you are just say upgrading an amp or CD player to add to your system. Conversely, I think reading reviews carefully and understanding the type of sound you want is more beneficial. Then you can order online and trade in your own kit by part exchange, plus because you have bought online, returns and refunds are a guarantee. However, the only way you will ever know if you really like a piece of kit or complete system is by ownership. Living with the purchases for a few months and getting used to the sound is the true test. Then you will either become increasingly disappointed and frustrated by what you have bought, or grow to like and enjoy it more, the longer you own it. Hopefully if the latter occurs, you will then lose all thoughts of upgrade itus and reach some kind of contentment, or art least inertia will set in. These thoughts are from someone who started in 1982.

+1 and thanks for your detailed reply.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts