the hifi journey...

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date

Gray

i found this video on youtube.

i wonder how many other people have had a similar "journey" with their hifi systems ?

spending ever increasing amounts but not really gaining an increase in satisfaction...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaP-DuWRkec
Quote from the video, regarding power cables:
"....they'll change the sound so much, you forget what you've bought" :ROFLMAO:
He's certainly wasted some money in his journey.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

i think it was quite an interesting (brave ?!) video to post on the grounds he states he has had 6/7 home av amps in his system in 1 year !

the point is he has spent lots of cash, come full circle with a scaled down cheaper set up, and is now satisfied with his system.

once again i wonder how many others have gone on this "journey" of box swapping, cable swapping, tweaks, gizmos and just ending up with a cheap(er) basic set up ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Here's the thing. To find a system you like the sound of all you have to do is sit on your arse and listen in a dealers listening room.
The question is , why is that so hard ?

maybe because the dealers demo room is not the same as your own personal listening room ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Ok , so you sit on your arse in your living room and listen , again, how difficult is it ?

if you want avi products very difficult as they dont allow home demo !

D

Deleted member 188516

That was the position in the past when AVI products were cheaper (no dealer involved). Now AVI products are markedly more expensive because they have decided to use dealers.

i actually had an audition of the dm10's at five ways hifi. john who did them demo was a total gent and very helpful.

however the demo speakers were at least 12 foot apart and we were sat at the same distance away - nothing like my listening room !

sadly i was told i could not home demo them hence was not 100% convinced of parting with 2k...

the demo did however open my eyes to the sound of quality active speakers though but that's another story...

Jimboo

So , why didn't you ask him to place them close together?
This is my point , your having a demo of equipment costing thousands of your money !
Again , ( not just for you chap ) why is this so hard for so many of you to arrange.

D

Deleted member 108165

I've not gone round in a circle, more of a spiral really, but ended up with something I think I like the sound of :) Happy to finally be off the hi-fi merry-go-round.

Reactions: newlash09 and Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

So , why didn't you ask him to place them close together?
This is my point , your having a demo of equipment costing thousands of your money !
Again , ( not just for you chap ) why is this so hard for so many of you to arrange.

because he had a load of kit inbetween the speakers including an old mac computer that was feeding the speakers my chosen cds...

check out the avi facebook page and you will see pictures of john and his shop. its more like a hifi museum than a shop.

Jimboo

Yes , no doubt. However old John needs to realise that spending money on the stuff he wants to sell means that he needs to be able to demonstrate his wares properly.
It's no way to do business. You walked away from a 2K sale , he can afford for this to happen , did you feel like a valued customer? Go somewhere where they treat you right.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 188516

I've not gone round in a circle, more of a spiral really, but ended up with something I think I like the sound of :) Happy to finally be off the hi-fi merry-go-round.

i'm glad your happy with your system i bet it sounds class !

may i ask what cables you are using now ?
(only joking !)

D

Deleted member 188516

Yes , no doubt. However old John needs to realise that spending money on the stuff he wants to sell means that he needs to be able to demonstrate his wares properly.
It's no way to do business. You walked away from a 2K sale , he can afford for this to happen , did you feel like a valued customer? Go somewhere where they treat you right.

i see, and agree, with your point that the demo room could / should be better set up.

however i (now) insist on a home demo for any future purchases especially when this sort of money is to be spent.

i believe that there are better active speakers available now (atc) with more features (kef ls50w) than the avi products which were all out of stock shortly after the demo i attended.

Jimboo

I own the kef ls50w speakers and it is because of the demo done properly that helped my decision.
I bought them well aware of the app issues and able to return if not suitable.
Why do so many ion here waste so much time and money. There is simply no need.

D

Deleted member 188516

I own the kef ls50w speakers and it is because of the demo done properly that helped my decision.
I bought them well aware of the app issues and able to return if not suitable.
Why do so many ion here waste so much time and money. There is simply no need.

may i ask where did you demo / purchase them from and what source component(s) do you use with them ?

Jimboo

I demoed them in Northampton but bought them from Peter Tyson ( better warranty and return policy) they are paired with my Linn axis with a Valhalla board and an audiolab 600 series transport. As I always advise the apps are a disgrace and no good for tidal , see Google play site and enter Kef stream for reviews , it ain't pretty.
Great sound , no sweet spot,clean neat hassle free hifi.

D

Deleted member 116933

I agree with Jim above, in this day and age dealers should be offering home demos otherwise you might as well be buying on line. Even if there is a small refundable deposit involved in the first instance and some are waking up to this fact. I’ve spent many years developing a relationship with a dealer in Scotland. I live in Suffolk. And have had many thousands of pounds of equipment through the door in the search of my current setup. All at no cost to me at all. I even trade equipment like this with them. Just supply a video walk round. No home demo I say sorry walk out the door and leave my phone number if they change there minds. And some have.

Now that I’ve found these guy I buy my little bits and bobs through them. Like static sleeves for my records and so on and support them where I can as long as they carry stock of what I want. Might be a little more expensive but they saved me money as well.

I might add I’ve never once stepped foot in this shop and never seen the dealers face to face. But I have developed quite a relationship with them. We share new music finds with one another and so on.

Just be nice and be genuine, they know times wasters when they see them/hear them.

And the pay off, you don’t waste money. And none of it was difficult to arrange at all.

D

Deleted member 116933

The dealers in Scotland aren't Robert Ritchie are they ?

No it’s not. I don’t want to get them in trouble as some of there brands are supposed to be in store only. Which is another thing that needs to change. This will allow dealers to freely do what it takes to sell an item. And thankfully it’s starting too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts