The HI-Fi Show

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I went to this show yesterday (a generous friend with a very expensive hi-fi paid for my ticket). Pretty much everything there was out of my price range but still a fascinating experience. We caught about half of the exhibits so this is by no means an exhaustive account and bear in mind I'd struggle to distinguish between components in each system.

Best systems I heard

1. Magico M6 speakers/Constellation amplification/pc source: sensational realism and musicality, ditto price

2. Proac S18 speakers/Van den Hul TT and cabling/ Crimson cartridge: lovely relaxed sound with accurate and unobtrusive bass. (As a cable/analogue sceptic, I was a bit surprised by this performance)

3. Canor TT/amplification/speakers: TT a testament to Slovakian engineering, dynamic untiring sound

4. Devialet were the prettiest

My general impression of the show was that while manufacturers can produce systems with wonderful mid and upper ranges, their attempts to extend bass response have mixed and rather unmusical results. While the Magico/Consellation system was an honourable exception, the D'Agostino/Wilson and the Bryston/PMC Fact 8 systems disappointed in this respect - was the digital source the problem?

I heard some great music too. Missa Criolla with Carreras, Ode to Billy Joe by Patricia Barber and a fantastic Cuban pianist whose name I stupidly failed to get.

Great show.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
A few additional thoughts from my visit yesterday.

Are most of the visitors to these shows hard of hearing? In almost all cases the volume was far too loud -- for my taste anyway.

The Naim/Focal room room was predictably awful.

Great sounds from the little Elac BS 312s (an updated model, I think).

I thought the Musical Fidelity M1 components with B&W PM1s sounded pretty good: an example of a reasonably priced amp (£500 for the M1 PWR) controlling much more expensive speakers well (the PM1s are around £2K, I think).

I wasn't very keen on the Martin Logan Montis powered by Krell. Rather crude and raw.

I had a great time in the headphone room: Audeze, Hifiman, Schiit and Stax. And full control of the volume knob. Headphone heaven! I wasn't very keen on the Schiits. The other three were all excellent. Stand-out models for me were, predictably, the Stax Signature As, the Audeze LCD3s and the Hifiman HE6s. If I were in the market for top-end cans, I'd be considering the Stax.

I've commented on the Sonus Faber Olympicas on the Devialet thread; likewise the Dev 170 and Crystal Cable Arabesque Minis. I spoke to quite a few punters. The piece of kit that got the most praise was ... the Dev 170.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
The Naim/Focal room room was predictably awful.

So it's not just me that thinks this match simply doesn't work.....unless there are new products in the pipeline that might work better together.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
So it's not just me that thinks this match simply doesn't work.....unless there are new products in the pipeline that might work better together.

No, definitely not just you. I also spoke to a couple of Naim owners there, who were appalled by the sound through the Focals. The Naim/Focal thing seems like a marriage made for money, not love.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
I thought the Musical Fidelity M1 components with B&W PM1s sounded pretty good: an example of a reasonably priced amp (£500 for the M1 PWR) controlling much more expensive speakers well (the PM1s are around £2K, I think). I wasn't very keen on the Martin Logan Montis powered by Krell. Rather crude and raw.

i am not surprised the MartinLogan / Krell combination failed to impress. A question of synergy I think. This is generalising of course but MartinLogan hybrids do tend to give of their best powered by valves.

interesting to hear the M1 PWR was not shown up by relatively expensive standmounts, snd was also able to drive what I assume is not the most efficient speaker out there. I wonder whether Class D technology has finally matured to the point that it can deliver what was hoped of it. At various price points there now seem to be some extremely capable Class D amps - Bel Canto spring to mind further up the price ladder.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
3. Canor TT/amplification/speakers: TT a testament to Slovakian engineering, dynamic untiring sound
I have never come across Canor in the flesh though have read a few reviews of their kit. Worth hunting out it would seem.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
James7 said:
I have never come across Canor in the flesh though have read a few reviews of their kit. Worth hunting out it would seem.

Its looks may divide opinion particularly the stacked TT but the performance is exceptional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts