The Gyro has landed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:Sounds like a plan and a modded 251 is a good way to start, probably find that you will keep that for a fair while before that teasing IV finally tempts you!

Cheers, Mitch. So, after a couple of weeks living with the '991, are you liking?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
mitch65:Sounds like a plan and a modded 251 is a good way to start, probably find that you will keep that for a fair while before that teasing IV finally tempts you!

Cheers, Mitch. So, after a couple of weeks living with the '991, are you liking?

Loving it Bretty, I bought a Musical Fidelity M1-DAC to go with the '991 and my streamer which was not a great idea, the streamer sounded great but I think I found out how good the internal DAC of the '991 actually is. Long story short, the MF is winging it's way back to the dealer.

My wife has made me get rid of my Rotel amp as she hates it (the finish is not as nice as the '991) so went back to Steves to find a' wife friendly' replacement and came back with a Talk Electronics Storm 2 amp. She likes it but I'm not so sure so without telling her I've bought a Densen B100 (Oh am I in the doghouse or what!) which I'm waiting on as we speak.

I should learn but I don't!
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

Loving it Bretty, I bought a Musical Fidelity M1-DAC to go with the '991 and my streamer which was not a great idea, the streamer sounded great but I think I found out how good the internal DAC of the '991 actually is. Long story short, the MF is winging it's way back to the dealer.

My wife has made me get rid of my Rotel amp as she hates it (the finish is not as nice as the '991) so went back to Steves to find a' wife friendly' replacement and came back with a Talk Electronics Storm 2 amp. She likes it but I'm not so sure so without telling her I've bought a Densen B100 (Oh am I in the doghouse or what!) which I'm waiting on as we speak.

emotion-5.gif

Great! I'm glad you're loving it. The Rotel's dual Burr-Browns partnered with the Pacific Microsonics digital filter is a combination that takes a hell of a lot of beating, so I'm not too suprised that the MF DAC couldn't match it.

I've only heard a Denson CDP, but that was superb. I'm sure the amp will be equally tasty. Was it an e-bay jobbie?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:

emotion-5.gif

Great! I'm glad you're loving it. The Rotel's dual Burr-Browns partnered with the Pacific Microsonics digital filter is a combination that takes a hell of a lot of beating, so I'm not too suprised that the MF DAC couldn't match it.

I've only heard a Denson CDP, but that was superb. I'm sure the amp will be equally tasty. Was it an e-bay jobbie?

Certainly was, just hope wifey likes it otherwise it could be a long winter!
emotion-9.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
chebby:
mitch65:...just hope wifey likes it otherwise it could be a long winter!
emotion-9.gif

'Wifey'. There's a word i've not heard used since about 1972.

And not a word I would use within earshot otherwise it would be an even longer winter.....

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:mitch65:bretty:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-9.gif

I just googled the Denson. Wifey's gotta love it, it's got a sleek, uncluttered look. Very stylish. Good buy, mitch!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:mitch65:bretty:

emotion-5.gif

emotion-9.gif

I just googled the Denson. Wifey's gotta love it, it's got a sleek, uncluttered look. Very stylish. Good buy, mitch!

Hope so, although I have already inquired with Densen about a chrome set of knobs instead of the gold ones currently on it as I can see a sneer appearing......anyway crossed fingers and all that.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I found out this morning, that my 'Dec has an A/C motor. From what i've been reading these are inferior to the D/C version, being noisy and unstable. So, I was a bit gutted bout that. But, I started looking for an A/C power supply, anyway. I could only find one and it was a guy on E-bay selling one, in a horrid smoked acrylic case, and he doesn't accept PayPal. Err....No, don't think so.

The hunt continued, getting me nowhere, til I found THIS.

I read it through twice to make sure it was Kosher. It is. A D/C motor AND and PSU for just over 200 smackers! Obviously, the PSU isn't going to be as good as a HR, but it'll get me up and running. There's a bit of soldering required, but i'll ask Steve at the Hi-Fi shop help me out with that.

Now i'm excited again!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
I found out this morning, that my 'Dec has an A/C motor. From what i've been reading these are inferior to the D/C version, being noisy and unstable. So, I was a bit gutted bout that. But, I started looking for an A/C power supply, anyway. I could only find one and it was a guy on E-bay selling one, in a horrid smoked acrylic case, and he doesn't accept PayPal. Err....No, don't think so.

I read it through twice to make sure it was Kosher. It is. A D/C motor AND and PSU for just over 200 smackers! Obviously, the PSU isn't going to be as good as a HR, but it'll get me up and running. There's a bit of soldering required, but i'll ask Steve at the Hi-Fi shop help me out with that.

Now i'm excited again!

I saw that horrible smoked 'thing' on fleabay and you're right, 'no paypal, no sale', although any excuse to say 'no way Jose'

Twice? I had to read it three times to see if I'd missed something and a little bit of soldering never hurt anybody did it??

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
mitch65:bretty:

Now i'm excited again!

I saw that horrible smoked 'thing' on fleabay and you're right, 'no paypal, no sale', although any excuse to say 'no way Jose'

Twice? I had to read it three times to see if I'd missed something and a little bit of soldering never hurt anybody did it??

Sounds like a great deal, eh?

I see the Densen is in your sig now, Mitch. How's it sound?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:mitch65:bretty:

Now i'm excited again!

Sounds like a great deal, eh?

I see the Densen is in your sig now, Mitch. How's it sound?

I think so, has to be done as they say.

The Densen is working really well with the '991, has a slightly forward sound but this does seem to the allow the Rotel to stretch its legs, giving a bigger, wider soundstage. I am going to order the chrome knobs as the other half is not too keen on the gold ones (at least Densen supply direct and they are a friendly enough bunch)

Hi Bretty,

I'm a wee bit late getting in on this thread. Sounds like you are really chuffed with turntable and i hope you manage to get your power supply situation sorted soon so that you can hear just how good it is.

Just to let you know have spent most of last 2 days rigging up my new acquisition, the Origin Live Aurora Gold and Encounter arm, once again a very weighty combo. Must say I'm very impressed with workmanship on them both, must be very similar to the build of Gyrodek.

Happy listening.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Alears:
Hi Bretty,

I'm a wee bit late getting in on this thread. Sounds like you are really chuffed with turntable and i hope you manage to get your power supply situation sorted soon so that you can hear just how good it is.

Just to let you know have spent most of last 2 days rigging up my new acquisition, the Origin Live Aurora Gold and Encounter arm, once again a very weighty combo. Must say I'm very impressed with workmanship on them both, must be very similar to the build of Gyrodek.

Happy listening.

Cheers Alears.

That's some really decent kit that you've bought. Good on ya!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts