The difference your listening room can make.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Mrs Loop, without realising it and certainly without intention, (alas, she totally doesn't 'get' my obsession) has massively upgraded how my system sounds.

We used to have pretty heavy curtains in the room where my HiFi is and Mrs Loop wanted a change. She opted for some new American style shutters for the windows and got rid of the curtains.

I noticed an acoustic difference right away in the room right away. It sounds slightly echo-ey and more 'live'. This filled me with dismay as i assumed it would make my Hifi sound too 'bright'.

I was completely wrong. Clarity has improved, but so has Bass response and timing. Everything is also smoother and more coherent. I find myself listening to things I thought I was bored with and revelling in things I know and love well. It's like I've had a massive component upgrade somewhere!

This happened a couple of weeks ago and at first I thought I was just excited by a different (maybe not better) sound. But no, I am convinced everything sounds better and cerainly would not want to go back to how things were before....

I just wondered if anyone else has had such a dramatic effect by doing something as simple as swapping their curtains?

sheggs

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Any change in components of your room can change the way the sound reacts to that room. Sometimes it can be positive and sometimes it can be negative. with room acoustics we use this to change th esound and create an environment condusive to listening/ recording etc/ With Hi fi its is not perfection that people are after but an enjoyable sound and this looks likes you have found it :)

I've always liked a relatively sparsely decorated room for sound, as long as the floor is carpetted and there are some curtains or blinds. In my experience it sounds better than an overly plush or elaborately furnished room.

I was always nervous of mirrors and pictures that can so easily buzz and particular frequencies, though I've fixed plenty with blutak. Not surprised your room sounds better now, though different is often better for those of us upgrading regularly.

Many of the queries on this forum would, I am sure, be solved with a bit of thorough installation care.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts