The cost of leaving your amp on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Some amps don't turn off.
The power-switch on my old Cyrus 2 only switches the power-amp on and off. The pre-amp, including the phono stage, is permanently powered.
In fact if you use the amp with a PSX like I used to, the power-switch on the amp does nothing more useful than illuminate the the LED.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Singslinger said:
jcarruthers said:
BigH said:
I just read Alan Shaw of Harbeth comments on this subject. He generally says leaving the amp. all the time is a waste of time, can reduce its life and is a fire risk.

Another hifi myth?

I'm pretty sure mine sounds better when it's warmed up — but its not really possibly to test it AB.

Electronic components don't like being turned off and on — at least that's what I've always been lead to believe. It probably isn't going to harm it too much — hifi for most people is probably a few times a week?

Alan Shaw also says cables make no difference to the sound and all amps sound the same when used with his speakers. Naim recommend leaving their amps on all the time and in fact place the on-off switch on the back of their gear. I used to own a Naim NAC 82 preamp, 2 Hicaps and 2 NAP 135 monoblocks, all of which I left switched on for about 18 years (except for when I went on holiday, maybe 2-3 weeks per year) with absolutely no ill effects.

To be honest, I believe keeping them on all the time actually prolonged their life. Even after all that time, they still worked perfectly.

Yes and Naim used to say you have to use at least 3.5m of Naim speaker cable with their amps. otherwise they would blow-up!

Could you tell me where they actually said that............

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
stevebrock said:
Strange one this.......

When I am driving my Brio R hard it seems barely warm, however when its been standing idle it is warmer.

I also notice it is warmer after using Input 1 (Phono Stage) than the other inputs.

Just an observation!

Now you mention it — I seem to remember thinking it was cooler when running once.

I made a mistake of playing a quiet source (laptop turned down) which meant that the volume knob was artificially turned up — this got the unit very warm.

I've had an IR thermometer sitting next to it ever since and check it occasionally.

Hotter when running the phono stage makes sense as its doing more work?

james

When the amp's on it has current flowing through it. That current has to go somewhere. If the amp's not powering speakers then the current will be dissipated in the form of heat. That's why amps feel warmer when they're not powering speakers. The effect is much more marked with pure class A amps.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
jcarruthers said:
stevebrock said:
Strange one this.......

When I am driving my Brio R hard it seems barely warm, however when its been standing idle it is warmer.

I also notice it is warmer after using Input 1 (Phono Stage) than the other inputs.

Just an observation!

Now you mention it — I seem to remember thinking it was cooler when running once.

I made a mistake of playing a quiet source (laptop turned down) which meant that the volume knob was artificially turned up — this got the unit very warm.

I've had an IR thermometer sitting next to it ever since and check it occasionally.

Hotter when running the phono stage makes sense as its doing more work?

james

When the amp's on it has current flowing through it. That current has to go somewhere. If the amp's not powering speakers then the current will be dissipated in the form of heat. That's why amps feel warmer when they're not powering speakers. The effect is much more marked with pure class A amps.

Makes sense! Thanks for clearing that up.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
If the amp does indeed sound better after warming up then for sure keeping it on all the time is worth it for me.

If I come home after work I may only have a couple of hours listening pleasure — and I don't want to wait for that.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sospri said:
BigH said:
Singslinger said:
jcarruthers said:
BigH said:
I just read Alan Shaw of Harbeth comments on this subject. He generally says leaving the amp. all the time is a waste of time, can reduce its life and is a fire risk.

Another hifi myth?

I'm pretty sure mine sounds better when it's warmed up — but its not really possibly to test it AB.

Electronic components don't like being turned off and on — at least that's what I've always been lead to believe. It probably isn't going to harm it too much — hifi for most people is probably a few times a week?

Alan Shaw also says cables make no difference to the sound and all amps sound the same when used with his speakers. Naim recommend leaving their amps on all the time and in fact place the on-off switch on the back of their gear. I used to own a Naim NAC 82 preamp, 2 Hicaps and 2 NAP 135 monoblocks, all of which I left switched on for about 18 years (except for when I went on holiday, maybe 2-3 weeks per year) with absolutely no ill effects.

To be honest, I believe keeping them on all the time actually prolonged their life. Even after all that time, they still worked perfectly.

Yes and Naim used to say you have to use at least 3.5m of Naim speaker cable with their amps. otherwise they would blow-up!

From the Nait 5i manual " Loudspeaker cables are vitally important. They should

each be at least 3.5 metres long and of equal length. The

recommended maximum is normally 20 metres although

longer cables may be viable with some Naim amplifiers.

Some Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with

Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may

degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier."

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Sospri said:
BigH said:
Singslinger said:
jcarruthers said:
BigH said:

Another hifi myth?

From the Nait 5i manual " Loudspeaker cables are vitally important. They should

each be at least 3.5 metres long and of equal length. The

recommended maximum is normally 20 metres although

longer cables may be viable with some Naim amplifiers.

Some Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with

Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may

degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier."

Thought so, may damage some amplifiers, does not mean will blow up,

You ought to learn to read before mis quoteing..............

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I always powered off my systems at night. (Naim, Rega, Arcam or whatever.) There were never any any problems. My old Rega Brio amp and Rega Radio were powered off every night for 11 years with no ill effect.

You are free to decide for yourself whether such kit sounds better after an hour, or a day, or a week, or a month of continuous power and whether/when to power off.

I was always aware of the "leave it powered on" advice from dealers and fans (and even manufacturers) but decided for myself it didn't make an ounce of difference.

My Rega Brio/Rega Radio did indeed sound better after a while being powered up. After about 15 minutes actually. Almost the same with the Naim kit (Nait 5i/CD5i/NAT05). That also sounded it's best after about 15 - 20 minutes or so.

The Naim system used about 33 Watts when idle.

Nowadays I leave the system in standby. My Marantz M-CR603 uses 0.4 Watts in 'Network Standby' mode. (In standby but continuously connected to the network.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts