The cost of leaving your amp on

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been wondering what leaving my Rega Brio-R on all the time is costing me so I bought a meter like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q7PJGW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's running at 17 watts with nothing going through it and the volume turned down.

At reasonable to loud listening levels through my B&Ws it's using about 18 to 22 watts.

Not the time of day to turn it right up :) Neighbours may complain.

So yeah, it costs :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I turn my Brio R on about 9am in morning then I turn it off before bed!

The power used is neglible!

Off topic - another forumite with a Rega system...... Brio R/DAC/RP3 - cant beat it!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I tried it with mine a few years ago and I did find that the sound did improve noticeably after the amp and power supplies had been on for a couple of days. But I was more of an anal hi fi guy back then. Now i'm more chilled about it and I can't be arsed with leaving everything on. The hifi gets switched on when I need it and switched straight back off when i'm done.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
I have been wondering what leaving my Rega Brio-R on all the time is costing me so I bought a meter like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Q7PJGW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's running at 17 watts with nothing going through it and the volume turned down.

At reasonable to loud listening levels through my B&Ws it's using about 18 to 22 watts.

Does that metre affect the sound quality?

How hot does the Brio get?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Strange one this.......

When I am driving my Brio R hard it seems barely warm, however when its been standing idle it is warmer.

I also notice it is warmer after using Input 1 (Phono Stage) than the other inputs.

Just an observation!

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't paying attention to the sound quality with the meter — but I would expect nothing at all.

The Brio-R stays at about 35 degrees c most of the time even when not playing anything — a little warmer when it's playing very loud.

The meter shows that its not really pulling any extra power when playing so I wouldn't expect it to get a lot warmer than when it's idle.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I just read Alan Shaw of Harbeth comments on this subject. He generally says leaving the amp. all the time is a waste of time, can reduce its life and is a fire risk.

Another hifi myth?

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Strange one this.......

When I am driving my Brio R hard it seems barely warm, however when its been standing idle it is warmer.

I also notice it is warmer after using Input 1 (Phono Stage) than the other inputs.

Just an observation!

Now you mention it — I seem to remember thinking it was cooler when running once.

I made a mistake of playing a quiet source (laptop turned down) which meant that the volume knob was artificially turned up — this got the unit very warm.

I've had an IR thermometer sitting next to it ever since and check it occasionally.

Hotter when running the phono stage makes sense as its doing more work?

james

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I just read Alan Shaw of Harbeth comments on this subject. He generally says leaving the amp. all the time is a waste of time, can reduce its life and is a fire risk.

Another hifi myth?

I'm pretty sure mine sounds better when it's warmed up — but its not really possibly to test it AB.

Electronic components don't like being turned off and on — at least that's what I've always been lead to believe. It probably isn't going to harm it too much — hifi for most people is probably a few times a week?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
So if we take an average of say, 20 Watts...

1000/20=50 so amp using 1/50th of a kWh ('unit') per hour, so if left on permanantly (idling) your annual cost would be (24*365)/50 *13.8 (pence per unit in my case...)

That would be 175.2 units per year at 13.8p each, so about £24 a year- or £2 a month to leave your amp on 24 hrs a day...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I really like to keep most of my elecitrical stuff on to be honest!

My MacBook Pro is never turned off, just in sleep mode when not being used!

My Hifi gets turned on once a day!

Same with my Panasonic Plasma, just on standby mode.

Aren't they most likeyl to fail when being turned on? Its logical that everytime you turn something it on it momentarily stresses the electrical circuits?

I have an EON smart meter thingiemejob that tells me my daily/weekly useage so I know the consumption isnt worth worrying about!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
But Alan Shaw says; "Now, the fact is that the working life of the capacitor is related to its powered life. Sitting on the shelf in the cool store room, unpowered, unworked, assuming that the case sealing is good, the useful shelf life will far exceed it's operational, powered life. This implies that to extend the life of your solid state electronics it should be completely turned-off when not in use. Not standby mode (where the PSU is obviously still charged up and working) but fully off."

Yes turning on/off maybe not a good idea but turning it on when you want to use it and then off when you have finished for the day would be alright.

My amp. (Arcam) has lasted nearly 20 years, now if I left it on 24/7 how long would it have lasted 10 years? who knows.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Dougal1331 said:
So if we take an average of say, 20 Watts...

1000/20=50 so amp using 1/50th of a kWh ('unit') per hour, so if left on permanantly (idling) your annual cost would be (24*365)/50 *13.8 (pence per unit in my case...)

That would be 175.2 units per year at 13.8p each, so about £24 a year- or £2 a month to leave your amp on 24 hrs a day...

I think the average kWh cost is a bit higher now but yes its about £24-£30.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
jcarruthers said:

Why not simply turn it off when not in use?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I really like to keep most of my elecitrical stuff on to be honest!

My MacBook Pro is never turned off, just in sleep mode when not being used!

My Hifi gets turned on once a day!

Same with my Panasonic Plasma, just on standby mode.

Aren't they most likeyl to fail when being turned on? Its logical that everytime you turn something it on it momentarily stresses the electrical circuits?

nahhh, think you're just worrying unecessarily. no reason why not to turn off if not in use....

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
jcarruthers said:
BigH said:

Another hifi myth?

I'm pretty sure mine sounds better when it's warmed up — but its not really possibly to test it AB.

Electronic components don't like being turned off and on — at least that's what I've always been lead to believe. It probably isn't going to harm it too much — hifi for most people is probably a few times a week?

Alan Shaw also says cables make no difference to the sound and all amps sound the same when used with his speakers. Naim recommend leaving their amps on all the time and in fact place the on-off switch on the back of their gear. I used to own a Naim NAC 82 preamp, 2 Hicaps and 2 NAP 135 monoblocks, all of which I left switched on for about 18 years (except for when I went on holiday, maybe 2-3 weeks per year) with absolutely no ill effects.

To be honest, I believe keeping them on all the time actually prolonged their life. Even after all that time, they still worked perfectly.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Singslinger said:
jcarruthers said:
BigH said:

Another hifi myth?

Alan Shaw also says cables make no difference to the sound and all amps sound the same when used with his speakers. Naim recommend leaving their amps on all the time and in fact place the on-off switch on the back of their gear. I used to own a Naim NAC 82 preamp, 2 Hicaps and 2 NAP 135 monoblocks, all of which I left switched on for about 18 years (except for when I went on holiday, maybe 2-3 weeks per year) with absolutely no ill effects.

To be honest, I believe keeping them on all the time actually prolonged their life. Even after all that time, they still worked perfectly.

Yes and Naim used to say you have to use at least 3.5m of Naim speaker cable with their amps. otherwise they would blow-up!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts