The best TV to buy for under £800 - Help Needed!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
gel said:
rocketrazor said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
Ok, Electronic Empire have a physical shop (not Total Digital): Premier A/V Centre 105-109 Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham West Midlands B21 9SP http://www.electronicempire.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=24&zenid=dijfi00cvro4617hio897enaf2

Nope, Total Digital is the same shop, and is a shop:

http://www.totaldigital.biz/index.php?main_page=contact_us&zenid=q2olsc809macf5vb1gn6f8gb82

out of interest do you have to live within a certain distance from the shop or even if you live over 100 miles away from it can you still get a price match? Ie I can't actually get there to buy an item from the shop so would JL still price match it?

Hi

Yep, I live in Milton Keynes and got a price match.

cheers, ill remember this if I ever get my gt50 issue sorted. Think I might be using JL from now on

Yep, I used to have a lot of TV problems, all sorted when I started using John Lewis.

gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
As far as I'm aware, JL only checks if the shop is within 8 miles of a JL store (although they're known to be flexible).

Nope, they changed their policy a couple of years back, it was in the newspaper too. I have done it about 6 times now since.

I didn't understand your post. What policy have they changed? According to JL website: http://www.johnlewis.com/inspiration-and-advice/never-knowingly-undersold-policy What do you mean by 'High Street Competitor'? High street competitors trade on the same basis as us, with premises on a high street or comparable shopping destination freely open to the public in the UK mainland. They should carry a reasonable range of goods in stock for you to buy and take away, with clearly displayed prices. Their websites need to trade under the same brand and on the same basis as their high street shops. Outlets which trade on a different basis to us, such as those that operate only on the internet or through mail-order, showrooms attached to internet-only companies, collection points, auction sites, factory outlets, membership clubs, duty-free shops, market stalls or home shopping channels, are not deemed equivalent high street competitors. We also don't match competitors who are in administration or closing down. What do you mean by 'local area'? We define our local area as an 8-mile radius from the John Lewis shop. Please ask the Customer Services department in your local John Lewis shop for more details if you're unsure.

A couple of years back our John Lewis would only price match with our local shops like Richer Sounds in Milton Keynes - it had to be local. They then said they would price match with any shop, as long as there was a shop. No need for it to be local.

Yes, that's because they're flexible with their policy, and not because of any change in policy. Only 2 months ago, my mother-in-law asked John Lewis to price match a washer dryer with a shop in Lancaster. They refused.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The official policy is that price matches are only agreed within an eight mile radius of your nearest store. Beyond that, price matches are agreed at the individual store or department manager's discretion.

Unfortunately, there's little consistency across branches, hence I know of two people that agreed a price match with Ashton TV, while my request was refused. We all followed the same procedure to the letter and none of us lived remotely near Ashton TV. It's somewhat galling when others get a better deal for entirely arbitrary reasons.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If there is no distance price matching with your local store,why not buy from a store that is price matching nationaly...can this be done?

I only request price match through johnlewis.com. I don't know if it's decided by your local store or is there a central CS team. John Lewis takes a couple of days to respond to your price match request. If it was local, they could just check online while you're waiting to confirm the price match. So I think the decision is made centrally. I may be wrong though.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have done the price match on the phone with Milton Keynes and in store at Milton Keynes, I also phone up if the price is beaten within 28 days of purchase, and get some more money back.
smiley-smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I haven't used the online price match form yet though, but I hear it is quite successful.

jai247

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I tired the price match with John Lewis online and they refused to price match with Total Digtal due to inconsistencies with the store and the online service.

Looks like they are very inconsistent with the service.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

jai247 said:
Hi

I tired the price match with John Lewis online and they refused to price match with Total Digtal due to inconsistencies with the store and the online service.

Looks like they are very inconsistent with the service.

Thanks

Is that because there were two prices? I would just stick with Total Digital name and not the other name and pay the extra £50. It is still a good deal. Phone up your local store and try again.

jai247

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi all

I have had a result today, John Lewis have agreed to price match against Total Digital for the price of £999.

Does everyone think this is a good deal or is the TV overpriced?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

jai247 said:
Hi all

I have had a result today, John Lewis have agreed to price match against Total Digital for the price of £999.

Thanks

It is best deal I could see. You could always buy and see if you are happy, if not just ask them to collect it and have a refund.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
jai247 said:
Hi all

Thanks

Sorry jai247, forgive my bad memory. Exactly which TV (full model number) are you considering please?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
If you were prepared to consider a plasma, you could have a TV 10 inches bigger and £200 cheaper than the £1,000 Samsung 40F7000. The selfsame John Lewis are selling the outgoing Panasonic 50GT50 plasma for only £800, including of course (being John Lewis) a five-year guarantee. It has both Freerview HD and Freesat HD, here http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-p50gt50b-plasma-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-50-inch-with-freesat-freeview-hd/p231563474

If my memory isn't even more dodgy than usual, £800 is now about half its retail price of about nine months ago. An absolute bargain, a third the price of my 50" Kuro, and much more modern features of course, and as good a picture, let's not forget that bit! It won awards all over the place.

jai247

Aug 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi All

I finally got the Samsung 40F7000 today after much debate.

I have noticed there is a slight red tint to the picture.

Is there anywhere I can get some optimal settings for the Samsung F7000?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts