The Apex Club

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks very much!
regular_smile.gif

Dual AW-12's do a considerably better job over a single unit in my listening space. I had the huge Ken Kreisel DXD-12012 subwoofer in my tricky room earlier and even though it's a proven beast I could not squeeze the best out of it. Front-firing units work a lot better here. These won't go as deep but the quality of the bass is so much better now. With the help of well-placed dual subwoofers you really can achieve a significant improvement in low frequency dispersion and integration with the rest of the speakers. Standing waves are much less of an issue and I cannot localize where bass is coming from. I used to think all that talk of dual units was overrated until I tried this myself. Ergo, I can never go back to a single unit.

Have you considered adding a second GXW15?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
gosalh said:
Hi Ricky,

I havent been active on this post for yonks. Thought i'd drop by and say hi! Welcome back to the club!! I still have my Apex. Doing really well and still playing like a dream. :)

Glad to be back!
regular_smile.gif
With one temporarily mothballed speaker system and another favorite making a welcome return I just had to jump back in here! Glad you still have yours and that they're playing like a dream
thumbs_up.gif
(as if I'm surprised...! lol). All the best!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
RickyDeg said:
Nice to still see some action around the club!

Going back to this system turned out an absolute delight with dual AW12's and the NAD separates!

Acoustic panels loop nice and blend in really well.
I bet most people didn't even realise that's what they were.

Any more snaps of the room now?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Acoustic panels loop nice and blend in really well. I bet most people didn't even realise that's what they were.

Any more snaps of the room now?

Hey you, great to hear from you!
regular_smile.gif

Thanks a lot! Glad you think so! They mesh quite well with the whiteness of the room. Good thing is I can order new prints for these when I tire of the motif. You are correct in that most people, even folks who've come to visit, don't even realise they are acoustic panels. I've also got two additinal ones (slightly smaller) mounted in the ceiling above the sofa.

I must say these panels have accomplished great things. The end-result is better focus and clarity of the entire soundstage. Cannot imagine removing them now that I know firsthand what they bring to the table. Pity I can't treat either side wall as I've got windows on the right and furniture/plants to the left.

That said... basically zero snaps
wink_smile.gif
I'm happy!

Hope you are too with your expertly treated listening room!
thumbs_up.gif

SteffanA

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have owned 3 A40 and 2 A10 for about 2½ years now, and thinking about upgrading my surround receiver. I need it for both movies and music (record player. And streaming when im too lazy to put on a record). Right now I have an Onkyo 608, so there is space for an upgrade.

I really hope someone can come with a few suggestions that will be good with the apex speakers.

Max price is around 13.000 DKR, which is around £1500/€1744

Thanks for reading. :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Having owned MA Radius, MA Golds & MA Apex, I found the Apex, although fine, needed a little more energy to bring them to life compared to the Radius - they're just a little more relaxed. Personally I find the Pioneer / Apex combo excellent, but I would encourage you to demo the latest receivers. I found the tonal match, particularly with piano, spot on.

The Pioneers are a little forward. Also consider the Anthem MRX520 (also forward & punchy sound) or the latest crop of Denon, Marantz & Yamaha if you like something a little warmer.

The very latest SC-LX701 / 801 / 901 receivers aren't in the shops yet in the UK (or indeed on Pioneer.EU's own website!!) but they offer an excellent set of streaming options now and are bang up to date spec-wise. They would be on my shortlist.

SteffanA

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Leeps said:
Having owned MA Radius, MA Golds & MA Apex, I found the Apex, although fine, needed a little more energy to bring them to life compared to the Radius - they're just a little more relaxed. Personally I find the Pioneer / Apex combo excellent, but I would encourage you to demo the latest receivers. I found the tonal match, particularly with piano, spot on.

The Pioneers are a little forward. Also consider the Anthem MRX520 (also forward & punchy sound) or the latest crop of Denon, Marantz & Yamaha if you like something a little warmer.

The very latest SC-LX701 / 801 / 901 receivers aren't in the shops yet in the UK (or indeed on Pioneer.EU's own website!!) but they offer an excellent set of streaming options now and are bang up to date spec-wise. They would be on my shortlist.

Sadly im not going to demo any of them, simply because the only shop selling them is hours away from me. So I hope I can find the right one from experience from others. I have looked a lot at Yamaha, but Pioneer could very well be the choise. I have found the SC-LX701 for 13.999 DKR which is fine for my budget.

Im not sure what "The Pioneers are a little forward" exactly means in this context. Is it more detailed or something like that? :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
In which case, I would limit your choices to what local dealers have to offer, or take a trip to a dealer that does have the Pioneer range. Are you really prepared to spend £1500 blind? Don't do it!

Over the years I've read lots of reviews of products either profssional reviews, or people's recommendations, only to listen to them personally and within moments know that it's not the right sound for me: to the extent that I couldn't live with it. So as much as I like the Pioneer/Apex combo, you really must listen to it yourself. I know other forum members who find Pioneer AVR's too sharp in the treble and they prefer a softer sound. What I call, crisp, punchy and detailed, others call fatiguing or grating.

I can't tell you what I like, but I can't tell you what you like.

SteffanA

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, it may be stupid to buy something blind, but the dealers are just so far away. So I am going to ask them if I can send it back if I don't like it. I actually think the rules here in DK are like that, but im not sure about electronic yet. I have to ask them.

Right now I am thinking if I should go the Anthem route and try it out..

Thanks for your time and help so far. I will now see if I can make a deal with one of the two dealers selling Anthem so I can try it first. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts