The Anti Streaming/PC/Mac thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
@ KT66, I have a lot of sympathy (or better, empathy) with your point. I'm actually more turned off by the AV/Cinema stuff actually, though when done well it can be great fun. It just gets a bit boring, whereas I always love music, on almost anything - hi-fi, car radio, even Pure DAB!

Of course your username smacks of anachrophile, and none the worse for that! But don't you remember CD seeming like a novelty too? [Maybe you are too young.] It promised so much, and I don't just mean 'perfect sound forever'.

I agree that good old stereo is still where it is at, including 'vinyl' or LPs as I prefer to call them (never did do 45rpm).

However, though I think a lot of today's streaming and computer-based stuff is pretty flaky and likely to be overtaken quite soon, I do hold great hope for 24/192 and higher-res stuff. Because there is no need to develop a new carrier and hardware (unlike the CD/DVD player) we can all access it relatively easily. And it is the only real advance in quality, rather than convenience, since stereo LPs. Cassettes, quadraphonics, mp3 and so on were just distractions.

I've said elsewhere on this forum that I fear the longevity of today's downloads. How many floppy discs are still in use? How many back-ups and copies will be needed to retain a purchase made in 2011 for listening in, say, 25 years. But I still play 30 year old LP, that have never even been professionally cleaned, and they sound great.

So, I agree, but I am optimistic for the future. And having heard a Linn Klimax active system recently, in a domestic setting, I can vouch for what is achievable today - pretty stunning quality.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have embraced streaming, but what gets my goat is that nothing now seems to work properly, unless it's had 6 firmware updates. :wall: I miss the "plug and go" system....no hubs, no home networks, no wireless dropouts and no computor gliches. |( :twisted:

A

Anonymous

I've just gone back to CD, amp and speakers after selling my DAC. I had the DAC for a couple of months using my CD player as a transport but I didn't use it for computer music and didn't feel I'd ever use it for streaming so I felt it was wasted on me. I don't use a mobile phone either, I have one but never use it.

I have my CDs alphabetically sorted by artist too :oops:

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
It appears its just the source thats changed. imo if its not broken , it doesn't need changing. At the moment adding computers, tablets, hard drives, networks and DAC's (with extra cables) to the mix is just complicating things with greater expense to the consumer.

A

Anonymous

Cypher said:
Life is all about moving forward.

CD is old. It's time for something new.

MP 3 is definately a step backwards, try telling my ears that someone has gone to a lot of trouble with their maths.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I have itunes, CD's and now recently a second hand turntable.

As convenient as streaming is i just love the whole idea of playing

records. Older recordings sound (to me) better on vinyl. I find myself using

the mac less and less for music these days. Apparently a lot of young people

are also falling in love with records. Its great to have a bit of everything

Cheers

Ed, :)

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
KT66 said:
I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.

I do not play the game of the fastest finder of songs or so, i just want it calmly, sitting in my chair and keep that way of listening for hours without having to stand up for each change of cd, artist, or song, looking in halfdark for titles or any other information to program anything, but my "Remote". And to be sure i have a backupdisc!

Your name suggests having tubes. Me too (KT 88) with digital front end, gives the best of both worlds for me! Welcome to the 21st century.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
KT66 said:
yet my Lyra will last 4000 hours, guaranteed- can you guarantee that your hard drive will last that long

Slightly skeptical of the figures below but:

"Ordinary consumer drives are in the 500,000 hour MTBF range, while enterprise (e.g., more expensive) hard drives can range up to 1.5 million hour MTBF." - http://oncomputerstips.blogspot.com/2009/01/can-consumers-trust-disk-drive-mtbf.html

Though I suspect the likelyhood of failure under normal use is much much higher towards the latter end of those figures I upgrade my PC every couple of years or so to keep up with technology thus the drives never reach more than 20,000 hours (if it was on 24/7) before the data is transfered.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
KT66 said:
...and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
You iron your jeans and have those little sock hanger things don't you?
Yeah, weirdo, any sensible person would sort their discs by genre first, cuh!

The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
KT66 said:
...and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
You iron your jeans and have those little sock hanger things don't you?
Yeah, weirdo, any sensible person would sort their discs by genre first, cuh!

Indeed, genre and alphabetical.

Why would anyone want anything less?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts