The Anti Streaming/PC/Mac thread

KT66

Well-known member
Aug 6, 2010
21
0
18,520
Am I the only one bored senseless of everyone in HIFI wetting their knickers over the last USB cable, sound card or Streamer?.

I have 3000 LPs, 2000 CDs, even cassettes, - I need another format like a hole in the head, and certainly will never find, nor make time, to transfer all this onto a hardrive that is likely to fail anyway.

I just want people to get back to basics.

CD or Record Player

Integrated Amp

Speakers.

I see many people tearing their hair out comparing DACS (and I thought seperate DACS died in the 90's) when they could easily be listening to great music, preferably analogue.

Anyone else feeling rebelious.?

and don't talk to me about HIFIs new love affair with Apple, this has NOTHING to do with making music sound good.
 

Crocodile

New member
Jan 15, 2009
38
0
0
And how long does it take you find the CD amongst that 2,000 that you want to play? What about when it's in the car?

I have around 1400 CDs ripped & I can play any one of with a few presses of the IR remote, mouse clicks on the laptop or finger taps on my tablet. But best of all I can set random music playing (by genre/artist/year/etc. if I so desire) & hear tracks that would otherwise have simply sat on a shelf gathering dust.

Yes it took some time to do initially but you'd be surprised how quickly you can whip through them by ripping in the background while doing other tasks on the PC.

But each to their own...
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
KT66, I felt like you when I joined the forum last year.
No one's stopping you (us) enjoying CDs, CDPs, LPs and turntables, but the new kids on the block (among others) are digital streaming and HDD storage, and they ain't going to go away any time soon :)
 

Trefor Patten

Well-known member
Mar 31, 2008
40
0
18,540
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Progress is a little too fast for some of us, isn't it? I do SO miss the days when my hi-fi would sound marvellous for hours at a time before requiring the stylus to be cleaned, tape heads de-magnetised, tracking weight and anti-skate adjusted, azimuth properly aligned. Of course today, having got everything set up correctly ONCE, I have everything stored and backed up on a second RAID drive, in case the first one fails, I can access all of my1400 CDs 500 vinyl albums and 200 cassettes in a form in which they will never degrade without rummaging through hundreds of plastic boxes, half of which were broken and just play them. I don't have to dust them, or check if I am playing the right side. I just choose a track, an album or even set up a playlist for an entire evening and then just sit back and enjoy!!

But, It's just not the same... Somehow I miss that hunting around for the album put back in the wrong place, only to find it needs to be cleaned first, or the cassette tape which needs to be completely rewound before I can play the side I want to hear. All this instant gratification, it has no drama. >)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
lps are good frizzbies, also good for scratching at disco
you also have to change a cartridge a lot on a turntable so for that reason i am out.
long live spotify and hi res downloads.
 

KT66

Well-known member
Aug 6, 2010
21
0
18,520
Cypher said:
Life is all about moving forward.

CD is old. It's time for something new.
why are LPs so popular then at the moment?

change isn't always for the best,. mini-disc, DCC, DVD-Audio, MP3, mini systems, graphic equalizers ............
 

Lee H

New member
Oct 7, 2010
336
0
0
KT66 said:
I just want people to get back to basics.

CD or Record Player

Integrated Amp

Speakers
Yet what you describe wouldn't be called basics by some...

 

KT66

Well-known member
Aug 6, 2010
21
0
18,520
dvdaudio said:
lps are good frizzbies, also good for scratching at disco
you also have to change a cartridge a lot on a turntable so for that reason i am out.
long live spotify and hi res downloads.
yet my Lyra will last 4000 hours, guaranteed- can you guarantee that your hard drive will last that long

and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
 

Lee H

New member
Oct 7, 2010
336
0
0
KT66 said:
yet my Lyra will last 4000 hours, guaranteed- can you guarantee that your hard drive will last that long
My NAS has been on for over 30,000 hours so far.

There's nothing wrong with a preference for one format over another. But I hold to my point that you can't decry modernity when your set-up would be perceived as modernity by a previous generation. You are just as much a part of progress as anyone else - you've simply found the set-up and format that suits you.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,175
1
0
KT66 said:
yet my Lyra will last 4000 hours, guaranteed- can you guarantee that your hard drive will last that long
That's less than half a year. Nobody can guarantee* that anything will last but the overwhelming majority of hard drives will last an awful lot longer than that, we've got some here that have been running constantly, 24 hours a day, for well over ten years.

*Apart from the manufacturer, obviously...
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,245
11
19,195
KT66 said:
...and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
You iron your jeans and have those little sock hanger things* don't you?

*Labelled with the correct day of the week.
 

The_Lhc

New member
Oct 16, 2008
1,175
1
0
chebby said:
KT66 said:
...and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
You iron your jeans and have those little sock hanger things don't you?
Yeah, weirdo, any sensible person would sort their discs by genre first, cuh!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
KT66 said:
dvdaudio said:
lps are good frizzbies, also good for scratching at disco
you also have to change a cartridge a lot on a turntable so for that reason i am out.
long live spotify and hi res downloads.
go for it 20sec one for guinness book of records ,as long as you have back up hard drive you are
safe also hard drives are cheap compared to some overpriced cartridges and stylus.

yet my Lyra will last 4000 hours, guaranteed- can you guarantee that your hard drive will last that long

and to the earlier poster, I have all my music in alphbetical order, I can find anything in 20 seconds.
 

dannycanham

New member
May 5, 2009
20
0
0
KT66 said:
Am I the only one bored senseless of everyone in HIFI wetting their knickers over the last USB cable, sound card or Streamer?.

I have 3000 LPs, 2000 CDs, even cassettes, - I need another format like a hole in the head, and certainly will never find, nor make time, to transfer all this onto a hardrive that is likely to fail anyway.

I just want people to get back to basics.

CD or Record Player

Integrated Amp

Speakers.

I see many people tearing their hair out comparing DACS (and I thought seperate DACS died in the 90's) when they could easily be listening to great music, preferably analogue.

Anyone else feeling rebelious.?

and don't talk to me about HIFIs new love affair with Apple, this has NOTHING to do with making music sound good.
I don't have much else to talk about as I'd be happy with allot of the amplifiers and speakers created over the past ten years. I don't need new magazines issues or discussions for that. Allot of chat in hi fi is about new experiences.

You are right. Transferring an entire CD collection and making sure it is backed up is a pain. USB 2 is the current most common connection and creating backups of large hard drives is sloooowwww. I spent the entire summer putting a CD collection onto hard drives including regular back-ups and it still required adding missing names and artwork as well as removing extra detail such as [CD2] [Japanese edition] and such when all I want in a track name is the track name.

I really don't feel the need to stream from different locations.

DACs have become a massive obsession atm. I'll be happier in around 5 years when the DAC market has settled itself down to minor updates.

Letting my hi-fi wander around my music collection picking out tracks I forgot I had amongst tracks I regularly enjoy is a newish way of listening to music and not just a format. It is like a radio where I don’t moan at the throwaway over produced trash of the week, instead I marvel at the DJs impeccable taste.

So I'm with you up until I hit the point of the way I like to listen to my music. My favourite source is a computer

computer -> dac -> amp -> speakers

it may sound more complicated but I only need one source for music. Once set up it has a simplicity of its own. I have never found CD cases that attractive and CDs are ugly, I don't have the mind set for careful handling of vinyl, despite appreciating the covers and tapes have always been unrewarding. If anything I want things to simplify another way. With amplifiers having only one input, the on button, a volume control and the speaker terminals. I want someone else to look after my music collection so I don't have to and I want a tablet that lefts me flick my way through my tunes.

I wouldn't be surpised if my hi-fi ends up

amazon hd tablet -> amazon hd dac -> amp -> speakers
 

hammill

New member
Mar 20, 2008
212
0
0
For rock/jazz by artist, then by order of original release if I can be bothered. For classical by composer. Unless you own a record shop why would you care about genre?
 

Lee H

New member
Oct 7, 2010
336
0
0
dannycanham said:
Letting my hi-fi wander around my music collection picking out tracks I forgot I had amongst tracks I regularly enjoy is a newish way of listening to music and not just a format. It is like a radio where I don’t moan at the throwaway over produced trash of the week, instead I marvel at the DJs impeccable taste.
Quite agree
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts