The 2k question?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
fishcack said:
If you had 2k to spend on a amp speakers and a streaming solution (from a nas or spotify) what would you buy?

I looked at exactly this around 20 or so months ago.

The system to beat was a Sonos Connect and ADM9 speakers, with or without a BK XLS400 subwoofer, depending on how the speakers work in the room. The latest '9RS may not need the sub at all for music, which would be a bonus.

Very simple system, good interface via iPad or Macbook, and an all round excellent sound for the money. At this time my auditioning was done on '9Ts, the newer speakers are supposed to be a good step up. The '9t system at a friends house was very impressive, though he does use the AVI sub, i did try with and without, with the sort of music I listen to it was just about worthwhile.

I stated looking for price competitive passive solutions, but £2k is a bit tight for Sonos, dac, amp and speakers if you are to avoid the dross that proliferates at the lover end of the market. I was looking at Bushmaster or MF V90 dac, Creek 50a and a decent set of standmount speakers. Virtually impossible to get decent dems at this level, Creek dealers are quite rare and the alternatives offered by the more mainstream dealers were quite poor, though that might have been partly down to the appalling standard of the dems that I recieved.

I was on the point of travelling further to some 'better' dealers when my budget dissapeared in an unexpected apartment purchase......!

T

the record spot

Network capable AV amp, get one of the better ones with the actual power spec not the claimed one and a pair of speakers.

Many offer multiple streaming options, all packed in one often somewhat large case. Never looked back since I bought the Onkyo I use now and sound quality is easily up there with what I've had before.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Mac mini and latest ADM9s. Without reservation.

Plenty of storage for your own media library, all the streaming content you could wish for and you should have enough left over for an iPad/iPad mini, if you don't already have one.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a £2K system all bought second hand (except the DAC):

Sonos Connect (Cullen mod) £400

Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC £200

Sugden A21a £450

PMC GB1i £900

:cheers:

Matt

stevepg1975

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Another for the Sneaky DS. Had an ex demo Linn system of Sneaky DS (£550) and Majik 109s and stands (£850). Loved that system, moved on now though to B&O.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I did for less 2k and happy with it

1)Peachtree Audio amp

2)Logitech Squeezebox Touch (Triode/TT Mods) connected via async.Usb

3)Focal Aria 906

I like the usability of the touch,thats why this is for me the best solution.Instead of the touch i would take sonos connect or Pioneer N30 at this price.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Fishcack, as you can see there are plenty of ways forward here.

I would help if you were clear on just what kind of a system you want, do you prefer simple or with extra versitility, something that dissapears in the room or makes a bit of a statement, new or used etc, etc?

Similarly with the sound signature, something smooth maybe a bit warm and relaxing or something that demands your attention?

Matts system is a fine example of what might be possible on the used market, though you need to really know your stuff to do as well. Conventional passive systems allow you to 'boxswap' if that is your thing and the Sonos/ADM route gives you a minimalist setup if that is what you want, with the capability for expansion and multiroom capability.

All very different.

BMFDrums

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
fishcack said:
If you had 2k to spend on a amp speakers and a streaming solution (from a nas or spotify) what would you buy?

For my money, I would choose a variant of what Matt49 suggested above; using reasonable values from the new & second-hand market:

Streamer: CuBox i2 Ultra - £100 (new) + Volumio software (free) - full NAS streaming via optical (or USB, but not with the DAC below)

DAC: Beresford Bushmaster - £120 (second hand) or £175 new

Amp: Audiolab 8000S+P - £800 (should be able to buy both in good condition for this money)

Speakers: PMC GB1i - £900 (second hand and maybe slightly tatty and/or without original packaging at that money)

I suggest that this would offer a better full-range presentation than some of the offerings above, notably those that are centred around small stand-mount speakers (active or passive). As brilliant as many small speakers are (B&W's PM1 is one of the most impressive speakers I've heard, given their size), they just cannot match a similarly-priced floorstander for scale, especially at 'neighbour-friendly' volumes...

An alternative would be to go with an Audiolab M-DAC and power amp(s ) that have XLR connections, but my own choice here (2 x Audiolab 8200MB) pushes the price above £2k

fishcack

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would like a system that could be expanded over time I've listened to the naim 5si and some b&w speakers which I really liked but still not sure it's the best way forward I'll have a look into the Sonos items as well now as it's very user friendly thanks for all the help.

TRENDING THREADS