That Arcam sound

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Yesterday I finally managed to install my 'new' amplifier. I've replaced my old Denon PMA 520 , with a slightly younger Arcam A85, currently driving a pair of KEF Q1's. (small house, even smaller budget presently).

I enjoyed the Denon, but when the Arcam was switched on, and the first few bar's of George Benson's album 'Love Remembers' were played at a relatively low volume (the kids were already in bed) it was immediately apparent how much more control the Arcam has over these speakers. I think what I heard was more the result of this amp having good control over the bass speakers, so that other sounds are not being 'muffled'. This resulted in a more open, better soundstage, in which a good recording is able to grab your attention and makes you listen. I found myself alternatingly listening to the music, and then back to the system. Listening to the system will probably fade as I get used to it, and music will take over, which is what it is intended to do afterall. A good system shouldn't draw attention to itself, but let the music speak, and that it did yesterday.

Can't wait to try out some other albums and higher listening levels, and replacing my Q1's with different speakers such that I can place them differently and enjoy them better from my preferred listening position.

abacus

That’s why it is imperative to hear the combination of components before purchase, so as to make sure they give you what you want. (Just sticking 5 star components together without listening is the worst thing you should ever do)

You also have to make a choice of whether you want true H-Fi, (A bad recording will sound bad) or something that mitigates it. (Not true Hi-Fi but longer term you may find it more acceptable)

Hope this helps

Bill

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I intend to test several speakers, first at a dealer to see which one tickle my fancy both in sound , size and looks, and after shortlisting a few, want to try those at home in their final positions with this amp. Indeed everything could come 'tumbling down' with the wrong pairing.

I'm happy with true hifi , but have the good fortune not to be able to afford a lot of that equipment, much of that is in the 'high end' spheres, with exceptions of course. So if I end up with a system that fits in my livingroom, sounds great to my personal taste with a variety of music, I'm happy, if that means I end up with 'true hifi' in the process, then that's a bonus. :)

Koos

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
I've now identified several speakers that could fit my home as far as their foot print is concerned.

I am yet to listen to them in a hifi shop, but before I contact them to tell them which speakers I'd like to audition and compare (to save myself and them time) I have one more question.

The situation in my livingspace is less than ideal. The speakers need to be placed near a wall in corners, and are almost 4meters apart, there is just no other way of fitting them in, if I want to listen to them from my preferred seat on the sofa.

I am presuming that I need to toe them in quite significantly, to make sure that I don't completely lose the stereo image or have a massive gap with a clear 'left and right speaker' effect.

Floorstanding front ported speakers seem to be the way forward, as to avoid bass to be come boomy when toe-ed in in corners of the room.

I'm thinking of: Monitor Audio Bronze 5 or Silver series, B&W 683 S2, or 684S2, CM8-S2 , Q audio concept 40's . Some of these are rear ported, but I'm thinking putting in a foam bung might somewhat eliminate any boominess that might occur.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

I do not have space for subwoofers or center speakers.

Cheers!

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
KEF will also be added to the list of speakers to audition. Main reason is that the current Q1's I have are a good match, but want to change them for more narrow floorstanders. (and they have already been sold via e-bay). This doesn't mean that other KEF models are an equally good match of course, but the Q500 and R500 are both models I'd like to check out.

They are miles apart in cost, as are some of my other options, but I'm purely checking for what fits my house and placement, what do I like the sound of, and then look at budget, which depending how I finance things, can either be limited at 700,- or double that if I involve a dreaded creditcard, something I'm very reluctant to do. Still I want to experience the difference in sound to help me decide if it is worth it to me, with my Arcam Diva A85 amp.

So looking at my options and budgets I now have:

Lower end budget Higher end budget

KEF Q500 KEF R500

B&W 684 S2 B&W CM8 S2

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 Monitor Audio Silver 6

Q acoustics 3050 Q acoustics Concept 40 (although on sale for lower budget now in many places)

I am trying to get them as narrow as possible, not exceeding 185mm in width, which not all of these manage...

Arcam work really well with a whole raft of speakers. When I had mine PMC are great, so if s/hand doesn't phase you then GB1i should be on the list.

Years ago I heard Arcam A32 with Totem Arros. There's a pair for sale and should hit your brief in every respect.

Also, Focal and Monitor Audio Silver work equally well but these latter two may not hit your requirements regards size.

I've used a few speakers in the past with my previous arcam a85...the two that stand out most were monitor audio silver rx6's and b&w cm5's,but neither will work well stuck in a corner....you're asking for trouble and disappointment with that kind of placement for a set of speakers...especially when you just shelled out a few hundred quid for them.The first thing I'd suggest before spending any more dosh is a good think about a reshuffle of your room and what you might be able to do to improve the siting of the speakers to achieve the best possible results.no point in buying another pair of talented speakers if they're never going to achieve there potential and give you anywhere near the best of their abilities.

Oh and my friend who bought my arcam a85/p85 from me runs them on a pair of b&w cm1 s2 and they sound pretty good.I have to admit I am a bit biased towards standmount speakers as I believe they just dig out that bit of extra detail that Floorstanding speakers in this price range just can't manage.imo.

torikoos

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I've used a few speakers in the past with my previous arcam a85...the two that stand out most were monitor audio silver rx6's and b&w cm5's,but neither will work well stuck in a corner....you're asking for trouble and disappointment with that kind of placement for a set of speakers...especially when you just shelled out a few hundred quid for them.The first thing I'd suggest before spending any more dosh is a good think about a reshuffle of your room and what you might be able to do to improve the siting of the speakers to achieve the best possible results.no point in buying another pair of talented speakers if they're never going to achieve there potential and give you anywhere near the best of their abilities

I fully agree that placement in corners is not going to yield the best results. Unfortunately the way my house is laid out, there simply isn't anyway to reshuffle things, outside a major renovation. So it is what it is. I think the order I have to do things are:

See which speakers would physically fit where I need them to be without being 'in the way'.

See which speakers of these are looking good enough for the mrs seal of approval

Short list those remaining, and audition them, hoping there's a pair amongst them that work in my living room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts