Thanks insider9 for the suggestion

Gray

Thanks for recommending Esperanza Spalding over on that other thread insider9. (My reply might have got a bit lost over there - the OP there came looking for a row - and he's still getting one!)

I've made a note and will certainly do some checking out of your suggestion.

Cheers

insider9

You're welcome. At least something good came out of that thread :)

She's my favourite artist out of the current generation. Incredibly talented and the sheer variety from album to album is amazing. The one closest to jazz funk is "Radio Music Society" but the most recent "Emily's D+Evolution" is just great with it's jazz fusion / prog rock vibe. However I like them all.

Let me know your thoughts as I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Hope you enjoy!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Not one I'd like. I found it a bit thrashey and devoid of melody.

But I agreed with your tastes on Japanese Breakfast (which you responded to my review on) following my comments on the wam.

Gray

Listened through the albums a couple of times. Quite like the voice.

Some fairly laid back stuff, some of it reminiscent of the sort of tracks I've heard Jeff Young play on Jazz FM 10am-2pm Sundays (I think you'd like a lot of his playlists)

There's certainly some variation of style - but hearing essentially the same voice for 14 tracks is a bit too much for me. That's not a critcism specific to this album, it would apply to just about every album in my collection (just realised, maybe, why I like instrumentals as much as I do)

As with other things, a few listens might be necessary. Thanks again.

Here's one of the tracks I heard Jeff Young play last year that immediately caught my ear, nice and tuneful. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNZrmQr8ww

insider9

Nice one. Will give it a go.

Other albums of hers are with less funk groove and jazz with some Latin influences. She doesn't have on the first album and doesn't really sing much on her third. So.if you fancy instrumental jazz give them a spin.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
Not one I'd like. I found it a bit thrashey and devoid of melody. 

But I agreed with your tastes on Japanese Breakfast (which you responded to my review on) following my comments on the wam. 
Indeed, I've played a few tracks today from that album.

TRENDING THREADS