Thanks & Audiolab 8000s!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'd just like to say thanks to those on here who gave me advice about amplification. My Audiolab 8000s (UK, mid 90s) arrived and is performing exactly as hoped!! It's made a real difference to the sound of my S3es, with the music now "coming out" of the speakers rather than hanging around "in the speakers!" Instruments now have much more separation and a real place in the mix, the bass is tight and the whole response seems nice and flat, just how it should be! I'm relistening to loads of old cds in an entirely different light. So far so superb with second hand ebay hifi, keep upgrading everybody!

A

Anonymous

picked it up for about £200, no remote but hey...
smiley-cool.gif

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hijack your thread, but can someone shed a bit of light on the different models of the 8000 series that are out there? 8000A and 8000S are integrated, Q = pre-amp, P is power and M are monos, is that correct?

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that the 8000A is an 80's amp and the 8000s has 2 incarnations, as a 90's amp (good) and a 00's amp (after TAG McClaren takeover) (not so good).

I'm not sure why the A or S models would be used with a power amp though, I don't really understand what the P delivers that isn't delivered by the integrated power amp in the A or S, but then, I haven't investiigated this.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The 8000a was the original integrated which continued into the 90's, the 8000s was an 8000a without the tone controls and the phono stage but came with a remote control. The reasoning behind using the 8000p with the 8000a or s is that you can use it in a bi-amp configuration as opposed to a pre-power setup with noticeable gains.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Aha! I wondered where the Audiolab & Spendors thread had tailed off to.

Glad that all is going well with the new listening experience.

The next piece of advice is to sit back and enjoy - do NOT get addicted to tweaking and upgrading...and the WHF forum!
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
ESP2009 said:
Aha! I wondered where the Audiolab & Spendors thread had tailed off to.

Glad that all is going well with the new listening experience.

The next piece of advice is to sit back and enjoy - do NOT get addicted to tweaking and upgrading...and the WHF forum!
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

oh I think that ship has well and truly sailed :bigsmile:

TRENDING THREADS