Testing, testing... 1,2,3...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Speed and attack, sure. But it'll show up any bass issues you might have. Layering and how it resolves complex and handles what could be congested passages. It really does a lot.

I use Yim Hok Man - Poem of Chinese Drums to test the speaker cabinet glue if it holds well.
Added to the list. Thanks Vladimir.

Download it from my Google Drive.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Coral DX-Eleven

900x900px-LL-9bb28d6b_mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpeg

We must learn which track he is using.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You might also like stuff like:

Steppenwolf - Wolftracks

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road

Cars - The Cars

Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile

Gene Loves Jezebel - House of Dolls

New Model Army - Thunder & Consolation

All About Eve - Scarlett and Other Stories

Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent (although I think that an album without vocals is like eating toast without marmalade on it)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

if you like electronic stuff with lots of synths I’d recommend Todd terje, it’s album time, to test the speed and dynamics of your system. If a system is lazy on dynamics this album shows it up, and if good, all the synths are really tight and well singularly placed. The track Preben goes to aculpulco is a good one for the test.

If you want to test high frequencies in your system, check out the last track on orbitals snivilisation album. The synthesiser sounds really come out and hit you with their hf impact.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
if you like electronic stuff with lots of synths I’d recommend Todd terje, it’s album time, to test the speed and dynamics of your system. If a system is lazy on dynamics this album shows it up, and if good, all the synths are really tight and well singularly placed. The track Preben goes to aculpulco is a good one for the test.

If you want to test high frequencies in your system, check out the last track on orbitals snivilisation album. The synthesiser sounds really come out and hit you with their hf impact.
The CD version of Todd Terje's It's Album Time - presumably the version you've been listening to? - is dynamically over compressed.

I suppose with albums like this, if the system's adding dynamic compression to the dynamic compression on the recording it will sound noticeably flat and uninvolving.

I prefer to look at things in a different way. If you have a relatively uncompressed recording and play it at reasonable volume on a system with relatively little compression: you'll be worried that your speaker drivers will burst out from the cabinets. Or it'll sound like the music is a series of spikes being driven right into your brain. Or that the music is just naturally there, in the same way it would be if you had the band playing live in your room.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

lindsayt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:

The CD version of Todd Terje's It's Album Time - presumably the version you've been listening to? - is dynamically over compressed.

I suppose with albums like this, if the system's adding dynamic compression to the dynamic compression on the recording it will sound noticeably flat and uninvolving.

I prefer to look at things in a different way. If you have a relatively uncompressed recording and play it at reasonable volume on a system with relatively little compression: you'll be worried that your speaker drivers will burst out from the cabinets. Or it'll sound like the music is a series of spikes being driven right into your brain. Or that the music is just naturally there, in the same way it would be if you had the band playing live in your room.

im not so much bothered with compression you mention, as it’s still a damn good recording on my system and the speed of the synths still checks a system out. It’s very involving on mine with volume cranked up. I’m no so sure it is very compressed anyway, on dr database as bad dr? and even if it is, i always select my music for music sake in tests, not necessarily for quality of recording.

I do think people get a little hung up on compression and quality of Recordings in our game. Most digital flac ripped stuff is very good played through decent dacs, amps and speakers. Some Recordings clearly better than others, but just take the good with ok to bad, is my view. It’s mostly stuff you don’t have control over if you select digital music for music sake, not some never ending quest to get the best sounding format for each album, or only buying albums that are mastered really well, surely limiting musical choice. If you want to test music on a system, just pick Recordings you know and stuff you like. Simples.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering for a while if some people are more sensitive to dynamic compression than others?

Play the CD version of It's Album Time back to back with the vinyl, with appropriate adjustments to the volume control.

Or play the CD version back to back with the original Computerwelt CD release from Kraftwerk.

For anyone with any sensitivity whatsoever to dynamic compression, It's Album Time on CD will sound relatively flat / uninvolving / unnatural.

Listening to orange or red DR recordings is fine if you like that artist. However if there's a green DR version of the same album, that's the one that I'd always try to buy. And, these days, I'm reluctant to buy red and orange releases. I've gotten tired of listening to "another over-compressed 21st century recording". Whereas if it's green and an album I'll like musically, I'll buy it straight away, if it's priced OK.

It's the dark green recordings of albums that I like musically that give me Champagne, enjoyable, listening sessions at home. Listening to orange or red recordings makes me yearn for a green one.

It's all relative. Build up a core collection of dark green albums in genres that you like, and you'll find that those are the ones you keep coming back to - if you're sensitive to dynamic compression.

Hay insider...just go get the cd....Spotify ime has compromised the listening experience......I can't put my finger on it but it's not quite the same experience.

Oh and I remember it better on my b&w cm5's which had a larger mid bass driver than my current pmc's...that is also a factor..my wee baby pmc's just can't rock this album out the way I remember it.Or It could just be my poor memory.lol.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I agree with Mark, buy the cd because you like it, not on the basis of the dynamic range score.

#musiccomesfirstinhifi

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Szerencsetlen - Venetian snares

https://open.spotify.com/track/1fRN2M7M2TEuSUjIJWWT4x

This will make or break any system and is very clever music indeed with outrageous dynamic shifts, it literally made one person who listened to it on my system jump clean out of the listening chair.

The odd thing is that on the DR database it is only mediocre which makes me question how they measure their version of DR

If you prefer more traditional music then this track by Andy Narell has an exellent traditional overall dynamic range as does the whole album, it also scores highly on the DR database, it's great music too. *smile*

https://open.spotify.com/track/0aeeDGAbYK4GnRfLZ9S7Mh

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
This Album is Electronic Jazz heaven. By Flux, Uschi's house.

The Rough & the Smooth By outside. This Album is well recorded & as versatile as they come in music styles.

Ignore at your own peril.. *dirol*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Native_bon said:

The Rough & the Smooth By outside. This Album is well recorded & as versatile as they come in music styles.

Do you have a link to a place I can hear it ?

From your description it sound like my sort of music . *smile*

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

The first track you posted Electro is quite dynamic in a Classico type of way. I just tried it.

i like the track fire (sunrise version) on the prodigy’s experience album. Fun and fast and tests speed.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Electro said:
Native_bon said:

on that outside cd, around the same time (mid 90s) I prefer something like the following ; well written, focused, quirky, fun, acid jazz music. I don’t like jazz music that ambles around, as I find it a bit annoying and boring tbh.

1) corduroy - creates high havoc (out there album is good too)

2) Mother Earth - the people tree

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
99.99999% have no clue what 'dynamic' means. Usually they think hard punching 100Hz bass means dynamic. Most of the time by dynamic they just mean loud, bassy, rhytmic. So when you say to a techno head that classical music is dynamic and electronic isn't, they are completely baffled by that. IME it's the same with metal and rock fans.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
99.99999% have no clue what 'dynamic' means. Usually they think hard punching 100Hz bass means dynamic. Most of the time by dynamic they just mean loud, bassy, rhytmic. So when you say to a techno head that classical music is dynamic and electronic isn't, they are completely baffled by that. IME it's the same with metal and rock fans.

This is true, those types of music have very little dynamic range they are just all LOUD , but it is still possible to hear small dynamic shifts within the loud noise on a good system in my experience.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Vladimir said:

This is true, those types of music have very little dynamic range they are just all LOUD , but it is still possible to hear small dynamic shifts within the loud noise on a good system in my experience.

Agreed. I'm simply commenting on terminology. Not just in our hobby, but in general 'dynamic' is misunderstood for constantly large amplitudes.

In the dictionary Dynamic:

(adjective) - (of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.

(noun) - a force that stimulates change or progress within a system or process.

To use a roller coaster analogy, amplitude would be speed, and dynamics would be changes in height/angle/g-force. You can ride the speed train while taking a nap, despite its going 400km/h. But you may poo your pants doing 100km/h in a rollercoaster, key being the dynamics. They make music exciting once you outgrow the 'omg its soo loud' phase.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Native_bon said:

The outside Album is on spofity but am struggling to find a link to the Flux album. Its very rare Album. But its really worth buying if you like that type of music.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Electro said:
Native_bon said:

The outside Album is on spofity but am struggling to find a link to the Flux album. Its very rare Album. But its really worth buying if you like that type of music.

This guy, Andy Panayi.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Some Albums are well recorded, but may not be the best as far as dynamic shift is concerned. Real Jazz music usually has some the best of well recorded dynamic music.

I think people jump to conclusions too soon too qiuckly. *dash1*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Any music that is meant to be played at drunk and drugged crowds has no worries about presenting dynamic nuances. These issues are fairly genre specific.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts