Test Tone and Volume

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Whats the point and use of the test tone facility on my amp. Whenever i activate the test I get a very loud noise coming from all my speakers (Quad Lites) and not much from the sub.

The amp is the Marantz 7005. I see you can increase Db levels for all your speakers. I have never used the Audyssey setup just manual.

Im doing something wrong am I not.

Thanks for any advice.

A

Anonymous

The test tone is there so you can manually set up the speaker levels individually from your viewing position using a sound meter, usually at 0 on the AVR so each speaker is 75 dB. This will ensure a cohesive sound stage.

A lot of people run the auto setup first and then tweak the AVRs settings manually once complete, you may not get the best from the AVR if you do not calibrate the speakers to some degree.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
You say you've set them up manually, but if you've not used an SPL meter or used the auto set-up, you haven't really set them up at all.

You can't set speaker levels accurately using your ears, unless you do it as a profession.

markjaspi's advice is spot on. Run Audessey then manually tweak using an SPL meter,and it will sound like you have just had a speaker upgrade!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts