Ten Minutes and Beyond

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Just been listening to the rattling charabanc of joy that is Sinnerman by Nina Simone and it got me thinking about long songs. There are so many songs that do all that they need to do in the requisite 3 to 4 minutes, and then of course there are plenty that stick around far too long. More a case of it's not how long the song lasts but how long it seems to! But just occasionally, a song clocks in at over ten minutes and it feels great, in fact you're left wanting more. Does anyone have any more to add to my rather ad hoc list? A few that spring to mind, in recent times: Ordinary People - 18 minutes of brass & squall from Neil Young, the metaphysically marvellous, Emily by Joanna Newsom, and the oft-neglected but apposite (for me at least), The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils by Morrissey (via Shostakovich). N.B. From the outset can we exclude each side of Yes' Tales From The Topographic Oceans?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Coma & Estranged by Guns N Roses; American Pie; You Must Be Prepared To Dream - Ian Mcnaab; Homecoming and Jesus of Suburbia by Green Day. Most of those dont quite count, but its a start.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Maybe only 8 1/2 minutes for each but 8-ball by Underworld and Song of Life by Leftfield just get better the longer they go on

A

Anonymous

Cry For The Weeper by Sunn0)))....although I'm guessing I might be alone on that one.....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
All 10 mins 30 seconds of Santa Esmeralda's version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - from the Kill Bill soundtrack.

And does the second side of Abbey Road count?

Also amazed no-one's mentioned Led Zep yet....

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Achile's Last Stand, actually
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
Are there songs which are banned in hifi dealers, like 'Stairway' is in guitar shops?
[/quote]

Anything by Slobby Williams?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]
Are there songs which are banned in hifi dealers, like 'Stairway' is in guitar shops?

[/quote]

If it was up to some purists, you wouldn't play any readily available music - only the ultra-high-quality recordings (normally of noodley jazz) used as system showcases by manufacturers. Or Norah Jones. Because they flatter about any set-up going. It's the same with AV demos using animation.

That's why we always say bring your own discs along for demos. Even the best kit (some would say especially the best kit, as it's so revealing) will struggle with The White Stripes and Oasis....

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

That's why we always say bring your own discs along for demos.

[/quote]

Agreed. Specially vinyl, since shops now have loads of CDs and, like, four records (Nick Drake, Sting, A Kind Of Blue and Brothers in bl00dy Arms)

Even the best kit will struggle with The White Stripes and Oasis....

[/quote]

My ears, for example.

A

Anonymous

All 10 mins 30 seconds of Santa Esmeralda's version of Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - from the Kill Bill soundtrack.

And does the second side of Abbey Road count?

Also amazed no-one's mentioned Led Zep yet....
[/quote]

Now Clare, you have embedded on my brain, an image of you headbanging to Led Zep and AC/DC on a Sunday night at the Winning Post, Twickenham in the late 80's with the bikes parked outside and the smell of leather jackets inside.

Looking at your avatar now this would be a shocking revelation and anyway, you are WAAAAAY too young.

Free subscriptions accepted.

My submission for the definative 10+ track must surely be Tubular Bells?

Gerry.

John Duncan

[quote user="Oldskool"]Now Clare, you have embedded on my brain, an image of you headbanging to Led Zep and AC/DC on a Sunday night at the Winning Post, Twickenham in the late 80's with the bikes parked outside and the smell of leather jackets inside. [/quote]

Superseded by Filthy McNasty's and The Red Lion (brought to you by Filthy McNasty's©) now, I'm afraid. Cheezy peeps, even the music pubs are being franchised...........

A

Anonymous

The Red Lion Brentford?

Followed by a speeding ticket on the way to a SmegBurger and milkshake at Heston Services on the M4?

John Duncan

[quote user="Oldskool"]The Red Lion Brentford? [/quote]

No, that's gone now - I meant the one in Twickenham - now called Filthy's At The Red Lion or something (though was just the Red Lion when I played there).

A

Anonymous

I know it, I was more in to The Cabbage Patch by the Bridge though then into Zippy's for a burger.

Small world.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts