Tell me if Im a idiot...

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Okay...So I have a nice Nad CDP and a nice NadAmp and a nice pair of 685s. Overall im very pleased with the system - that was untill!.....

I plugged in my dads old (and very cheap) Bush MTT1 turntable and listened to Led Zep 3. OMG! What the hell...It sounds better than my CDs? I really cant put my finger on it, I even played the CD and record at the same time flicking between record and CD, and yes the CD sounds crisper and cleaner, but Im not sure it sounds better, in a wierd sort of way the CD sounds too perfect - does anyone know what I mean, am I being an idiot?

So...with that in mind Iv gone a bought a few of my fav albums on LP, they should turn up in a day or two. Im genuinly looking forward to listening to the same old albums I listen to everyweek again - just on a different format.

I also wonder how good is the Bush MTT1, I could not find any reviews of it? Im considering buying a new turntable if I still have the same opinion once I get the new vinyl albums though. Does anyone know how the MTT1 rates against other mid range turntables...£200-300 kinda mark?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend the Rega P2 with a factory fitted and aligned Rega Bias 2 cartridge.*

With the cartridge it comes to £294. You will need a phono pre-amp box before you can plug it into 'line level' inputs on a typical amplifier. Rega make the Fono-Mini for about £55. (I saw two on the shelves of our local Audio-T a couple of weeks ago so I know they are still available.)

That is all a tad over your stated budget (sorry) but a very good level of performance even if you did not want to upgrade further in future.

*Please bear in mind though that I use the Rega P2 myself so I am somewhat biased. Others here will no doubt give you a far less 'partisan' opinion on other options.

chebby:

I would recommend the Rega P2 with a factory fitted and aligned Rega Bias 2 cartridge.*

With the cartridge it comes to £294. You will need a phono pre-amp box before you can plug it into 'line level' inputs on a typical amplifier. Rega make the Fono-Mini for about £55. (I saw two on the shelves of our local Audio-T a couple of weeks ago so I know they are still available.)

That is all a tad over your stated budget (sorry) but a very good level of performance even if you did not want to upgrade further in future.

*Please bear in mind though that I use the Rega P2 myself so I am somewhat biased. Others here will no doubt give you a far less 'partisan' opinion on other options.

No, nothing wrong in being biased, that's an individuals prerogative.

To the OP. Certainly not an idiot. . .

I've personally not heard the Bush you've mentioned. If the Rega doesn't do it for you, then try one of the old Pro-jects. Look at Xpression 1 upwards on ebay. otherwise I agree with Chebby.

A

Anonymous

No, you're not an idiot. There's something about music played on LP, that I can't quite put my finger on either, it's just more engaging.

Personally, I use an old Project Debut (might be MK 2) and it's very good. I'm sure if I'd spent more money (all those years ago) I could have purchased a better quality turntable but for the money the Projects are very good indeed.

A

Anonymous

Analogue LP can reproduce high frequencies and dynamics in an undistorted way that 16-bit /44.1 khz digital can't, so you're not an idiot. However I wouldn't either dump your CDs or continue with the Bush, because for not a lot of money you can get a great turntable - try the Rega P3-24 - and it's also true that CD can do things that LP finds difficult, such as overall neutrality and bass impact.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
mushroomgod:
Okay...So I have a nice Nad CDP and a nice NadAmp and a nice pair of 685s. Overall im very pleased with the system - that was untill!.....

I plugged in my dads old (and very cheap) Bush MTT1 turntable and listened to Led Zep 3. OMG! What the hell...It sounds better than my CDs? I really cant put my finger on it, I even played the CD and record at the same time flicking between record and CD, and yes the CD sounds crisper and cleaner, but Im not sure it sounds better, in a wierd sort of way the CD sounds too perfect - does anyone know what I mean, am I being an idiot?

So...with that in mind Iv gone a bought a few of my fav albums on LP, they should turn up in a day or two. Im genuinly looking forward to listening to the same old albums I listen to everyweek again - just on a different format.

I also wonder how good is the Bush MTT1, I could not find any reviews of it? Im considering buying a new turntable if I still have the same opinion once I get the new vinyl albums though. Does anyone know how the MTT1 rates against other mid range turntables...£200-300 kinda mark?

To throw another option in the mix, I listened to the LZ IV album recently, streamed from my computer to DAC in lossless format - hair standing up, sublime sound. Stairway to Heaven made me tingle all over.

T

the record spot

ChrisMM:Analogue LP can reproduce high frequencies and dynamics in an undistorted way that 16-bit /44.1 khz digital can't, so you're not an idiot. However I wouldn't either dump your CDs or continue with the Bush, because for not a lot of money you can get a great turntable - try the Rega P3-24 - and it's also true that CD can do things that LP finds difficult, such as overall neutrality and bass impact.

Just quoting the above post mainly re: the bass impact line and neutrality. I have to say there are good examples for and against in both camps there Chris. There are turntable and cartridge combinations which will give you pure honesty if you crave it and there are hopelessly coloured CD players. Likewise, bass impact is not a problem on turntables if you know what to buy. CD does not hold dominion over the humble record deck in this regard!

£200 - used Systemdek IIX record deck and a decent cartridge. Easy. Great used buy, tweakable and formed the basis for the current Audio Note TT1. The earlier models can be spotted as they have the teardrop shaped armboard cutout. Later ones were rectangular in shape.

Rega P2 as chebby says is another good purchase.

As to the OP, not an idiot at all - back in 1996 or so, the MTT1 got a 5 star review from WHF.

A

Anonymous

Definitely not an idiot, I recently have returned to vinyl after digging out my old LPs from storage, and have been amazed by the sheer involvement of analogue. CDs and streamed music have the precision and detail, which is excellent and for me analogue has sheer listenability ( if that is such a word spellchecker says no )

I think there is room for all formats in Hi Fi and there is no need for one format verses another each has its own merits, srengths, and weaknesses so comparability is pointless.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Get yourself a Pioneer PL-12d (£15-20 off ebay) and get an audio-technica AT-91 cart to go on it (£20). I have this setup in my dining room, and it always puts a smile on my face.

For £40 you have a great starter turntable that (I believe) will keep up with £100 or so's Rega Planar or Project. It will also significantly better the MTT1. Also, you won't lose any cash if you decide it isn't for you, as you can sell it for the same as you paid for it.

And no, you definitely aren't an idiot. I listen to digital music streamed from iTunes through my Airport Express and Beresford, and analogue from my LP12. Whilst both are different in presentation, I enjoy both equally. Wouldn't want to be without either, come to think of it!

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
I wanted to compare vinyl to cd for some time but never got around it.

How would a Technics MK 1200 do?

I have 2 of them from my DJ period about a decade ago.

I don't know what needle or catridge they have though.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
1200s will do nicely. If you have a DJ cart on it, change it for something like an Audio Technica (the DJ carts generally track at about 3-6gms, which will wear records out much faster than a hifi cart, which normally track between 1.5-2gms).

I would probably look at something like the AT-95E to get you started (£35ish), or if you wanted to spend a bit more (say £60-75) then I would look at something like the Ortofon 2M red (for an up-front sound) or a AT-120e (which comes recommended here...http://www.soundhifi.com/sl1200/index.htm).

But I think, with a hifi cart on the end of the arm, you will be pleasantly surprised!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:ChrisMM:CD can do things that LP finds difficult, such as overall neutrality and bass impact. Just quoting the above post mainly re: the bass impact line and neutrality. I have to say there are good examples for and against in both camps there Chris. There are turntable and cartridge combinations which will give you pure honesty if you crave it and there are hopelessly coloured CD players.

I know, just that the point I was making ('LP finds difficult') is that, while you can hear the dynamics and the clear treble in a cheap TT (such as the Bush here discussed), to get neutrality and bass slam you need expensive engineering (in my experience). Course, I may have missed a £150 deck that can do it... and certainly not a £15 one off ebay.....

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Back in the 90s the mag used to give the Bush TT a 5 star review and you could buy it from richer sounds for fifty quid!

Your going down a slippery slope with your vinyl revelation. I bought a TT a few months ago and havent played a cd since.

qwerty69:No, you're not an idiot. There's something about music played on LP, that I can't quite put my finger on either, it's just more engaging. Personally, I use an old Project Debut (might be MK 2) and it's very good. I'm sure if I'd spent more money (all those years ago) I could have purchased a better quality turntable but for the money the Projects are very good indeed.

Turntables, with certain music, are believable. They add that organic, earthy sound you rarely get with CDP's - unless you go hi-end.

TRENDING THREADS