Technics system bought for my daughter!!!(Thoughts please)!!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought these on Ebay for the sum of £27 so does anyone know how they fared in their day and were they any good?
emotion-1.gif

Right here goes!!!

Technics CD player SL-PG57OA

Technics cassette deck RS-B25

Technics integrated stereo amp SU-V1X

I bought them to show the benefits of seperates to one of my daughters,but all she said last night was they looked 'rank'!
emotion-9.gif

They were all still boxed and the chap even had the all the manuals/remotes for them as well as the polystyrene casings in each box!!!

Can someone tell how old they think these units could be(the chap who sold me them told me 90's,but i have my doubts)!

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
paddyhifi:I bought them to show the benefits of seperates to one of my daughters,but all she said last night was they looked 'rank'!

I would have said the same if my parents had given me a bakelite 1950s radiogram back when 'Rack Sytems' were in vogue.

Got to agree with her. Most hifi systems are pug-ugly.

A

Anonymous

How old is your daughter?! If I was under 12, I would be wetting myself with excitment! That amplifier is quality stuff - however, I would say they are late 80s...but tell her to put some CDs in it and play them! What speakers are you using?

A

Anonymous

Hughes123 it is my eldest daughter who is 13 who i have bought the system for,but she hates the colour(black and totally immaculate),plus she says there is nowhere to plug her mp3 player into!!!!

Are you taking the micky with what you said about the system mate?lol!!!

I haven't bought no speakers yet,so can you recommend any for me?

ps My son who is 23 has offered to buy the system off me!!!!!
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This is what my 16 year old daughter likes...

490494589_0515ee8304.jpg

(not my photo because obviously no-one is allowed in her room without 2 months written notice and a damned good reason. So I had to borrow this.)

My eldest prefers plugging her headphones straight into the iMac.

I could not interest either of them in a new Onkyo CS515 UK mini system (or whatever it is called.)

They thought that was ugly as well.

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Go out and buy her whatever flashy-looking, awful-sounding rubbish she wants and then get her to listen to it in comparison to the Technics gear. A 3.5mm mini-jack -> RCA cable is cheap and would let her use her MP3 player on it.

How about spraying the front fascias of the Technics stuff in whatever colour she likes and then sticking stick-on letters on it to label the controls. Could make it more attractive to her.

My neighbour has a Technics amp and CDP and it sounds surprisingly good with his Acoustic Solutions (Argos sell 'em) floorstanders.

I got my first seperates system for my 14th birthday and I loved it. If all else fails sell it to your son, you could even make some money on it seeing as you got a good deal ;-)

A

Anonymous

TBH wouldn't you be more worried if she was totally amazed by the 1980's relics?

You'd have a beardy geeky audiophile for a daughter and the chances are she would never leave home and live in your loft till you died.

So all for the best really, techie chicks are GENERALLY weird.

A

Anonymous

paddyhifi:
I bought these on Ebay for the sum of £27 so does anyone know how they fared in their day and were they any good?
emotion-1.gif

Right here goes!!!

Technics CD player SL-PG57OA

Technics cassette deck RS-B25

Technics integrated stereo amp SU-V1X

I bought them to show the benefits of seperates to one of my daughters,but all she said last night was they looked 'rank'!
emotion-9.gif

They were all still boxed and the chap even had the all the manuals/remotes for them as well as the polystyrene casings in each box!!!

Can someone tell how old they think these units could be(the chap who sold me them told me 90's,but i have my doubts)!

Thanks

At that age I'd say looks and what others think of you are very important. Furthermore, girls generally don't like techie looking stuff.
Buy her a onkyo or denon micro set with usb in or add a gotham gac (ebay for a tenner) to connect an ipod via phono in. If you're feeling really flush go for the arcam mini with spaekers of choice.
Alternatively choose an ipod dock like the fatman itube. Really nice looks plus a gloriously warm sound from an ipod dock with valves!

Good luck!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's such a shame but style is over substance at that age and she'll want something her mates will think is 'wicked'. As soon as it gets to sound quality it will be 'am I bovvered?' I bought the other half a Linn Classik and she pulled the same face. We now have a Pure `DAB thing which is fine for an alarm clock...

ÿ

T

the record spot

The tape deck might be early to mid-80s, the amp is likely late 80s and the CD player is mid-90s. Probably around 1994-1996. It was superseded by the SLPG-580A and both received good reviews at the time.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
mrbungle:TBH wouldn't you be more worried if she was totally amazed by the 1980's relics?

You'd have a beardy geeky audiophile for a daughter and the chances are she would never leave home and live in your loft till you died.

i am glad you said GENERALLY or Clare would have a word or 2 to say about that statement!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
mrbungle:TBH wouldn't you be more worried if she was totally amazed by the 1980's relics?

emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

paddyhifi:
Hughes123 it is my eldest daughter who is 13 who i have bought the system for,but she hates the colour(black and totally immaculate),plus she says there is nowhere to plug her mp3 player into!!!!

Are you taking the micky with what you said about the system mate?lol!!!

I haven't bought no speakers yet,so can you recommend any for me?

ps My son who is 23 has offered to buy the system off me!!!!!
emotion-1.gif

No honestly, the late-80s Technics stuff was really good stuff! Oh, and yes, get a 3.5mm jack to RCA lead for the ipod. Speaker wise, I would look at the various Wharfedale Diamonds in years gone by and also the older B&W speakers.

A

Anonymous

Well i have just wired and connected everything up,( i am using some old speakers at the moment until i buy some decent ones),turned it on,left it for an hour,went back upstairs with my daughter and five of her mates(noisy ones),put one of her cd's in (some hip hoppy singer) and they all went silent for three seconds!
emotion-18.gif

Then one of my daughters mates said thats 'sick'(which apparently means well good),and they then listened to loads of other cd's for the next four hours!(Which they left all over the bedroom floor when they all went out again
emotion-3.gif
)!

Considering the systems age,i am pretty impressed with the sound overall,but the old speakers need replacing to get better results!

A

Anonymous

See, have faith man! Next you should introduce her to the joys of vinyl...
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:See, have faith man! Next you should introduce her to the joys of vinyl...
emotion-5.gif

Just like my dear departed Uncle Dennis did, giving me an ancient turntable (so old it had 16 and 78rpm speeds as well as 33/45!) when I was 12.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

What has shocked me is virtually all my daughters friends are just so used to compressed music(ipods/mp3 players),and would never buy an amp/cd player(most of them don't even bother with cd's now too)!!!

I also got my daughter to help connect everything up and even put three pin plugs on each lead as the Ebay seller had removed them????

Can anyone here recommend some decent bookshelf speakers to match this system bearing in mind it's age and my daughters age!lol!

She listens to mostly hippy hoppy/pop and a few rock bands!

thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think the Roth Audio Oli1 speakers (£99) would be a good choice - they work well up against a wall, and are excellent for the money. They're not the most bass heavy in the world, but then budget bookshelf speakers rarely are (and it'll be a gazillion times bassier than an iPod dock/mobile phone speaker!!)

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
paddyhifi:
Well i have just wired and connected everything up,( i am using some old speakers at the moment until i buy some decent ones),turned it on,left it for an hour,went back upstairs with my daughter and five of her mates(noisy ones),put one of her cd's in (some hip hoppy singer) and they all went silent for three seconds!
emotion-18.gif

Fantastic! Result!

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Great thread.

May I suggest some Mordaunt Short MS902i's Take the covers off and they look 'rad'!

(They also sound very nice)

:)

Or a little cheaper, the Tangent Evos, she can choose from a number of colours, but the green, and yellow ones are currently half price £50 at Richer sounds.

A

Anonymous

I might aswell take a visit to Richersound as i have bought all my equipment from them over recent years!
emotion-1.gif
(And they usually do me a good deal)!

I actually bought my first hifi system from Nott'm HIFI which was a beautiful Sondex integrated amp(in cream),AR turntable and some Kef speakers on stands!!!
emotion-1.gif

Lp's only system!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts