Technics su-a900mk2 any good?

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Is this amp any good? Anyone have it or know about it? I've got the oppertunity to buy one cheap 'ish' ffrom a friend of a friend...

can't find many reviews, thanks for any help,

jake

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had an SU-A900 Mark 2 in the late 90s before I moved to Houston, coupled up to a Misson DAD-3 / DAC-3 source and Mission 753 speakers. In a 15 x 12 living room the sound was superb for the relatively low cost of the kit.

WHF gave the A-900 Mark 2 five stars at the time and said it was much better than the Mark 1. So if it's a Mark 2 it might be worth a listen, although the capacitors may need replacing for best results.

How it stands up to modern competion at the same price point (new vs new or used vs used) from Arcam or similar mid-price rivals I have no idea.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Despite the good reviews it had, I always found it too soft and warm, lacking attack and detail. Of course, it will probably suit some speakers, but I'd opt for slmething like an Audiolab 8000A instead which I found/find far more exciting to listen to. But if it is cheap enough, it might be worth it.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Despite the good reviews it had, I always found it too soft and warm, lacking attack and detail. Of course, it will probably suit some speakers, but I'd opt for slmething like an Audiolab 8000A instead which I found/find far more exciting to listen to. But if it is cheap enough, it might be worth it.

I prolly got good results then because the source was a Mission (i.e. low end Cyrus at the time - before the Mission and Cyrus brands parted company) CDP / DAC setup and probably on the Cyrus side of "bright" or "clinical" or your choice of adjective to describe the Cyrus sound.

Agree that an Audiolab 8000 series of the same era might be a good alternative, but anything 10-13 years old may be getting a bit too old by now... like me :-(

Jake12988 said:
Is this amp any good? Anyone have it or know about it? I've got the oppertunity to buy one cheap 'ish' ffrom a friend of a friend...

can't find many reviews, thanks for any help,

jake

Hi Jake

The SU-A900 MK2 is a good amplifier.

What genre of music do you generally listen to please?

Source component/s and speakers?

Existing amplifier?

How much is the SU-A900 MK2 likely to cost?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Jake12988

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It's on eBay now,

It didnt sit well with me, I prefer my denon, however I got it cheap, so shall make a profit, it's a lovely amp, just not quite as warm as I hoped, and something was missing that I couldn't put my finger on...

I'm running MA bx'2s from denon pma 560, and cambridge Audio 350 CD player, works great, and sounds great, doesn't seem like happy ingriedients denon with cambridge, old and new, but it partners great, and the technics wasn't quite what I was hoping for...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts