Technics semi auto turntables

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Need a bit of help from you guys in deciding on a good Technics semi automatic turntable.

I had a stroke last year and although I made a full recovery I did have some damage to the left side of my brain which affects co-ordination and balance.I now have difficulty in cueing the stylus onto the vinyl and lifting the arm at the end.

I would like to have a fully automatic turntable or semi,(preferably Technics),so as I can just switch on and play without having to do anything else,I have always had Technics and I would like to stay with them if possible.

I would be very intersted in any suggestions from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Pegleg, I know they won't float everybody's boat but I used an SL6 and liked it. Small footprint, fully automatic linear tracking, cartridge can be upgraded easily with any other T4P cartridge without fuss (I used mine with an Ortofon OMP10), I found the sound quality was perfectly acceptible for what it is. And if you can find (and stretch the budget too) an SL10, you're talking serious territory that will do you proud for years.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello Major,thanks for your reply.

I've had a look at the sl-10 and the specs and reviews seem to be very good,the only one I've seen so far is on the Bay at about £250 +p&p.

Although it sounds good it's not really what I'm looking for,my old turntable was a sl-1210 and I'm looking for a similar thing.I know there are a few around,such as the 1700 etc but there seems to be mixed reviews and I really want something that sounds as good as my old 1210 but easier to use.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply,it's much appreciated.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Pegleg. I can't advise but just wanted to say I'm very sorry to hear about your stroke and co-ordination problems, and hope you find a turntable that means you'll be able to enjoy your records again without putting them in jeopardy!

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your concern,everythings fine,the stroke only affects my hand and limbs co-ordination,my ears are fine.

Thanks once again.
thescarletpronster said:
Hi, Pegleg. I can't advise but just wanted to say I'm very sorry to hear about your stroke and co-ordination problems, and hope you find a turntable that means you'll be able to enjoy your records again without putting them in jeopardy!

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I think you're perhaps a little hasty to instantly dismiss an SL10 but if I can't change your mind that's absolutely your choice.
I'm sure that the Technics SL-10 is a fine turntable,all the user reviews say so.Trouble is I'm used to having ordinary looking turntables,preferably with strobe lights to check the speed doesn't drift,nice looking curved tonearms and the ability to upgrade the cartridge should I feel the need.With me,I like the old look where everything looks like it's made to bring out the best in vinyl,that's why I prefer vinyl to CD if I have the choice.

If only they made the sl-1200 in a fully automatic form,I certainly buy it that's for sure,until then I'll carry on looking for the next best thing.

Regards

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how long you'll have to wait to find one because they were only sold for two years and they're 40 years old.

BTW the SL10 has a replaceble cartridge: plug-in type that needs no adjustment. Everything about it is plug-n-play which to me seemed right up your street considering your motor/co-ordination problems. If I think of anything else I'll post it up.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I'd go for the SL-7 (as I have) or the SL-QL1, rather than the SL-10. As the Major says, different cartridges are available. All three have Quartz speed control.

DaanS

May 24, 2015
Visit site
So I was curious about this SL-10, and looking at some pictures instantly put a smile on my face. It looks like a precursor to the cd-player only big and it plays vinyl and boy I need to have one. It's just too sweet not to have one. Thanks for bringing this un to my attention.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts