Question Technics midi record player

Keith48

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
I have a 1995 Technics EH60 midi hifi. When I bought it, the Sony PS-J10 was recommended. It's been good over many years. I am considering replacing it with an equivalent Technics record player. Any recommendations/thoughts?

Keith48

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum.

What do you consider to be a equivalent Techni

Welcome to the Forum.

What do you consider to be a equivalent Technics deck?

cs deck?

Apologies- I should have been more explicit. By equivalent, I meant in size. I would like to replace the Sony PS-J10 with a Technics midi size turntable (maybe finding a reconditioned Technics model of a similar age)? If that's not feasible then maybe a Technics full size of a similar age?

Welcome to the Forum.

What do you consider to be a equivalent Technics deck?

Keith48

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
The Sony is working 100%. Just serviced, new stylus and belt. If I understand you correctly, I may be wasting my time and money? My objective is to try and improve the overall sound of the components

The Sony is working 100%. Just serviced, new stylus and belt. If I understand you correctly, I may be wasting my time and money? My objective is to try and improve the overall sound of the components
I agree with Al, that replacing an almost 30 year old turntable with one of a similar vintage is pointless and - unless you are a vintage restorer - likely to lead you to disappointment. By all means buy a new or recent Technics, typically not much change from £1,000 brand new. Or a more modest Fluance or Audio-Technica at about half that. You’ll be improving the sound of your records, probably quite significantly, if that’s your main source.

Any chance to see any of those in the flesh, and how they operate and sound? I’m not aware of any compact players of the Sony type you have - they seem to be from another era - presumably to ‘stack’ with a mini system.

Last edited:

Keith48

Mar 28, 2023
Visit site
I agree with Al, that repkacing an almost 30 year old turntable with one of a similar vintage is pointless and - unless you are a vintage restorer - likely to lead you to disappointment. By all means buy a new or recent Technics, typically not much change from £1,000 brand new. Or a more modest Fluance or Audio-Technica at about half that. You’ll be improving the sound of your records, probably quite significantly, if that’s your main source.

Any chance to see any of those in the flesh, and how they operate and sound? I’m not aware of any compact players of the Sony type you have - they seem to be from another era - presumably to ‘stack’ with a mini system.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I have a 1995 Technics EH60 midi hifi. When I bought it, the Sony PS-J10 was recommended. It's been good over many years. I am considering replacing it with an equivalent Technics record player. Any recommendations/thoughts?
hello, i think i know the model of midi system you refer, in Portugal at the time they were selling turntables from the 80´s but any model with 80´s traditional plinth from what today are 80€ to 120€ , today is expensive to buy a good technics turntable at the time i have to say that with audio-technica stylus they sound much better than a 1.000€ pro-ject with the 2m red from ortofon, i know the system but the friend of mine who had it bought a entire new component system by technics ,i also have some components by technics bought in the 70´s and 1980 all work today perfectelly , but let´s see ,there is a older model of your midi system that had some lines in golden looking more classic but with similar displays and a 6 cd player round carrousel ,what amazes me is being more than 30 years old and still works today with perfection not one function or component went bad, he listen´s to music every day for hours while doing is work at night. Today there is the SL-1500C turntable but the price goes around 1.500€ or a bit less ,if too much for your budget ,i would recomend trying to find an old technics turntable from the 70´s working good ,on ebay i found a SL-1310 looking new for 195€ but that went to a new home in 3 days and it had that litle light for one to see the grooves when lights are down like the SL-1200 mkII or a more recent version, i have 4 turntables from technics all had heavy use and all work perfect being direct-drive no noise comes from the engine, the most recent one is from 78 others from 76 and earlier but they were expensive at the time ,now i´m even using a 76 SL-3310 which i only took it from the box in 2018 with a 207 C cartridge and 5 new in the box EPS-270ED stylus made by Nagaoka ,who have what we used to call an average sound , but when changing for the cd player the sound seems bad(the cd sound) ,this because it´s frequencies were much more than what a cd can deliver and my cd player is an expensive one, this to say that i´ve listen to several models from Pro-Ject and they all sound bad to me ,this around 1.000€ , the fluance seems better but i´ve only listen to one with an audio-technica stylus that was very good in 1983 ,the older it is the better it sounds ,at least from 1970 till early 90´s. Some might not agree with me but last year i bought to a friend a 500€ budget component system and it sounds better than most of the cambridge audio´s and b & W speakers with Pro-ject turntables around 1.000€ with sumiko or nagaoka MP-110 cartridge and stylus or 2M red and the blue from Otrofon only the tuner he didn´t want one but with 30€ i could had bought him a pioneer tuner 2 models beneath the top model from the brand which i have one and it´s very good but i paid what today is 350€ with a discount. I would sugest to look for sellers in you´re region ,normally they sell cheaper, i think there are local sites that sell by a real price not like Ebay today. don´t know if you have a phono input but if using a aux. line i also sugest those Audio-technica turntables that look like the SL.-1200 MKII or a recent model, they cost 300€ or a bit more and i was amazed by their sound taking in acount the new brands with excessive price and wrong specifications shown in the manual ,normally under the values described, hope i could help ,regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Keith48

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts