Technical Question.

Nanaea

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

A while back i was given a 5.1 system for my home it's a "Samsung kit AV HT-D355" now i know it's nothing speacial although i do like the sound the subwoofer is able to give and the several options the receiver/amp/dvd player is able to give, my problem lies with the speakers mainly the front ones, they have a very annoying noise when high they playing high frequency sound, this noise gets worse as you up the volume and is starts at a rather low volume, my guess is that this noise comes from the design itself.

I really enjoy listening to music and i use this system as my music player as well so what i'd like to do is swap the two front speakers with a new set however i don't know if it's possible technicly, the new set i'd like to put in would be a par of mordaunt short aviano 1xr.

My question is can i swap them? The amp spec say it's output is "51Wattsx2(3 Ohms)" and the speakers are rated at 15-100w but at "8 ohm compatible" this last info was taken out from their website.

Also what can i expect to happen in terms of sound? and will they work nicely with the remaining speakers when watching a movie?

info on the 5.1 can be found on this link: "here" on page 32 and 33

the speakers info is "here"

thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
The speakers are rated at 3ohms, which is very low for a speaker. This means the speakers are a 'high load' for the amplifier (The lower the ohms, the more the amplifier struggles to power them. 8ohm is standard, some are 6ohms, high loads are 4ohms. Ive personally never heard of a 3ohm speaker before!)

So the amp should drive the shorts with ease

How it will sound is anyones guess though. It almost certainly wont sound right as the tone will probably be way off

And thats if it plays at all because the amp might detect the change in speaker load and decide it doesnt want to play (Although I think it will work fine)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't. 51W into 3Ohm isn't really very much power. It's often stated that if you drive your amplifier too hard you risk damaging your speakers, and I think that's a risk here.

That's without getting into all the stuff about crossover points, if your amp can even be set to run in full range stereo mode, and how the speaker package will sound with two different models of speakers in it.

Better leaving it as it is, in my opinion :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts