Technical Audiolab Question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well I just won an audiolab 8000x7 on Ebay (580 beans, yay) but I have reservations about the power supply inside it. Same size as the 8000M's. Does anybody know what voltage these amplifiers operate at. I'm thinking I could get ahold of a nice phat transformer (or maybe the 3.5KVA transformer I have will work, 48V output, probably too high) and some beefy caps to give the amp plenty more juice. I've had trouble getting ahold of circuit schematics for amplifiers in the past (tried to repair a Cambridge Audio A1, suceeded in the end by working it out from the traces :O). Having read aocuple of reviews thats *gotta* be the weak point of the X7, not having enough juice on tap. There is only 20k mF of smoothing on the input too. I'd love to get ahold of more details, like if it's a switchmode PSU or not. Anyone know? I'll have to email audiolab... but I guess I'll plug it in and try it first;) Second question, about bi-amping. I have my existing 8000P so I'll bi amp my GR20's as fronts. Given the 8000P is 100W and the (bridged down to a X5 amp) front outputs on the X7 are 150W, would it be better to use the X7 outputs for the bass and the P for the treble... bearing in mind that the P is gonna have a considerably better peak current capability (40A vs unstated*) that the X7 which screams bass. The other thing is the X7 doesn't allow passthrough, but the P does so it has to be first in line on the biamp chain. * 40A peak into an 8 ohm load = 320W for the 8000P: X7 stated peak is 120W, meaning 15A or thereabouts.

A

Anonymous

Mr E?

I guess I could just pop the lid and use a voltmeter on it, what about the bi-amping order though? I'm figuring, in this case, that it's gonna be better to go against the norm and give the treble the longer signal path so I can use the 8000P as the bass driver, despite being able to bridge the X7's amps for 150W of power.

That aside I think biamping will greatly reduce the required instantaneous power required anyway, because a square wave will become an almost sine wave for the bass amplifier and a series of high frequency blips for the treble. That way none of the amplifiers have to produce a massive slew rate on their output.

Gah, now I have to send back my siver anniversary XT to get it re-terminated for bi-amping...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts