Tape Deck ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
That looks nice well worth a sevice , what will they do ? are they belt driven ? ive never taken 1 apart .
There are dozens of capacitors to replace. The transport still works fine and there are definitely belts, but I think they’re for the take-up reels. I think the capstan is direct drive. I’m paying an expert and it’ll cost about the same as the machine cost when it was a couple of years old in 1998!

Mark Dunlop

Nov 15, 2022
Visit site
they can sound very good you be surprised !
Most of mine were taped from either cd, vinyl or tape for me by a friend who worked in a folk music record shop and got paid in stock. They weren't recorded on anything particularly decent, they were cheap old TDK tapes, mostly, and they're all over 20 years old. Believe me when I say they don't sound especially good :) but the joy is in the repertoire and the performers rather than in the audio brilliance. Any "bought" tapes sound OK but it's a fairly modern TEAC W890-R.
m.d.

Fergus

Feb 21, 2023
Visit site
I have a fairly substantial collection of Irish traditional music on cassettes, so it's important for me to have a tape deck. Sonically, they're rotten :) but needs must. I recently got a nice 2nd hand tape deck and I have a spare just in case, but I don't listen to tapes for fun really.
m.d.
I also have 100 or so chrome basf tapes going back to the 70s. They still sound like they were recorded yesterday on my nakamichi

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts