Tannus solid tyres.

podknocker

Anyone use Tannus solid tyres for their road bike? I've been using folding kevlar beaded clinchers for decades, but hate messing about fixing punctures. Tubeless tyres are an option, but I don't like these and I'd need new wheels. I'm trying to find out what I can about these solid tyres and if they feel any good and how they perform etc. They are £60 each and are a pain to fit, after watching the few videos available online. If I can get a shop to fit, then I would consider them.

Friesiansam

Taken a look at these because I haver heard of them. Seem to be surprisingly light but, I would have thought there might be an increase in rolling resistance and, the durability claims suggest a hard compound, which could be very dodgy in the wet. Those are just my own thoughts based on their own website, this however, may be more useful: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/tyres/tannus-aither-1-1-25mm-solid-tyre

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

My current tyres are 700x23C, so I think I know which size pegs I would need to secure these, but some people have snapped the pegs, when trying to seat them in the rims. I will ask a shop to fit them, if I can get them a bit cheaper, as there will be a fitting charge etc. They are a 2 person fit and I've not seen anyone fit these on their own. I will try and watch them fit the tyres, to make sure I don't hear any snapping sounds. I'm sure the tyres will come off, if even only 1 securing peg has snapped. I can't understand why solid tyres are a fairly new thing and I thnk the materials and design do have a long way to go. I'm done with pumps and repairs. Having a puncture 30 miles from my flat has been inconvenient, to say the least.

Last edited:

podknocker

I agree. It is strange you can't get a material, with low rolling resistance, easy to fit like a modern clincher tyre and feel like a current tyre at 100psi. The thought of never having a puncture really does appeal to me though. I'd sacrifice comfort, for the ability to go for miles and not worrying about the 'hiss of doom' in the middle of the countryside.

podknocker

Local shop says they'll fit a pair, but for £120 as a 2 person fit and it could take an hour, at £60 an hour. With the tyres, it could be £250 so I won't bother. I've never used tubeless tyres and the shop advised they might be more reliable than the clinchers I have used for decades. Still have a new set of tubes and tyres on the bike and they will need to fail, before I swap them. I wish there was a solid tyre, at a reasonable price and wasn't a bar steward to fit.

TRENDING THREADS