Tannoy XT6f, Monitor audio Silver 6 or Kef R500 for metal? Or the cheaper Q acoustics 3050?

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I listen to a lot of symfonic metal and rock. Not the best recordingsi know. I'm searching at a speaker on who this sounds it best. I've heard many speakers and these 3 are on the shortlist. B&W cm8S2 and 683S2 didn't sound good for me. Irritating. I've also heard the Kef R300 with a Arcam A19 and Marantz lite amp. A very dull and boring sound with voices projected behind the speakers. I don't like sharp, shrill bright highes, but this was the opposite of this.

My amp is a Denon pm 1520AE. I don't know if this is a good combination with these speakers? A dealer advice NAD for Tannoy.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Your answer will depend on:

- Your preference
- The amplifier match/suitability....I can't comment on your amp
- Your room.

"My" preference would be the R500s, driven by an amp of at least similar value, from the likes of Arcam, Rega, Creek, Bel Canto and Ayre.

DaveyBoy1980

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
When I first had a demo of my R500s it was with the Arcam A19 and I found them lifeless. I then heard them with the Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200p and that brought out a lot more detail.

I am now running my R500s with an M-dac and 2 x 8200MB amps. I can honestly say this combination can handle most genres and my taste is quite varied.... Acoustic, chillout, electronic, rock, indie etc.....

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
DaveyBoy1980 said:
When I first had a demo of my R500s it was with the Arcam A19 and I found them lifeless. I then heard them with the Audiolab 8200CDQ and 8200p and that brought out a lot more detail.

I am now running my R500s with an M-dac and 2 x 8200MB amps. I can honestly say this combination can handle most genres and my taste is quite varied.... Acoustic, chillout, electronic, rock, indie etc.....

+1 seems you have a similar taste,I think the same...Running same combo with R900...very happy.

Hello Loneranger,

I know you might think it a bit odd that we suggest you save quite a lot of money - and end up with a speaker that delivers precisely the sound you're looking for.

From your description of what you want, we think the Q Acoustics 3050 speaker will be ideal. Amongst it's many strengths is that it's very easy to drive and will allow the Denon to perform at its best.

Sorry it's not more expensive *biggrin*

Please take amoment to read these two reviews:

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3050/review

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/themes/qacoustics_multi/pdf/qacoustics3050-hificritic.pdf

Best regards

Steve Reichert - Q Acoustics

jordanfx

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
i too listen to rock/metal/symphonic and i was in same position a few years ago and i found the monitor audio silver 6 best much better than the kefs.and still happy.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome said:
Hello Loneranger,

I know you might think it a bit odd that we suggest you save quite a lot of money - and end up with a speaker that delivers precisely the sound you're looking for.

From your description of what you want, we think the Q Acoustics 3050 speaker will be ideal. Amongst it's many strengths is that it's very easy to drive and will allow the Denon to perform at its best.

Sorry it's not more expensive *biggrin*

Please take amoment to read these two reviews:

http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/3050/review

http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/themes/qacoustics_multi/pdf/qacoustics3050-h...

Best regards

Steve Reichert - Q Acoustics

Better than the MA Silver 6 and Tannoy XT6F? I know; they can sound bright and i'm a little afraid that with my music (loudness war!) it will sound not good on these very nice speakers.

What's the difference with the Concept 40? Is the treble bighter than from the MA? I mean that Hifichoice that wrote?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME it is unwise to buy speakers based on other people's preferences....and we all have our preferences, which we feel strongly about.

IMO The Concept speakers are not bright sounding. I haven't heard the MA Silver 6.

CnoEvil said:
IME it is unwise to buy speakers based on other people's preferences....and we all have our preferences, which we feel strongly about.

Spot on.

In addition, no manufactuer makes a component for one type of genre, it'll usually come down to a combination of amp, source and speakers (and room size and acoustics) to achieve the exact sound to suit your own musical taste

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
for me the KEF R500's (primarily as ive heard them and liked them, but not heard the others) - TBH a better comparison MA wise would be the silver 8's. But as stated, it depends greatly on the amp and your personal preference. Have you considered the Tannoy Precision 6.2's? For my money they are a lot prettier than the Xt6f's, and got glowing reviews

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I found the whole Kef - serie disapointed. No fun, but a very boring sound. Nothing for rock and metal.

I'm now searching at a dealer who has the Tannoy XT6F and the Q acoustic. I want compare them.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i like metal + classic rock i am using dali opticon 6s pair this speakers with a good amp they work very well with metal + classic rock or any music i found that book shelf speakers are no good with this type of music you just do not get that low down bass as you do with floor standing speakers unless you look at pmc book shelf speakers but they cost a lot of money

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
It's difficult to find a dealer who has the Tannoy XT6F and Q acoustics 3050. I think the Tannoy are the better speaker, but with modern metal and rock i'am afraid it will sound bad. No idea about the Q acoustic. It seems that Tannoy isn't popular. I don't know why.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
loneranger said:
It's difficult to find a dealer who has the Tannoy XT6F and Q acoustics 3050. I think the Tannoy are the better speaker, but with modern metal and rock i'am afraid it will sound bad. No idea about the Q acoustic. It seems that Tannoy isn't popular. I don't know why.
IMO. The Tannoy need more careful matching, or the treble can sound a bit strident, which gives them a bad rep. Match them correctly and they are probably a more revealing, accurate speaker.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
loneranger said:
IMO. The Tannoy need more careful matching, or the treble can sound a bit strident, which gives them a bad rep. Match them correctly and they are probably a more revealing, accurate speaker.

That's also the case for the Q Acoustics - they were REALLY shrill with Marantz SR5010. I'd look at Tannoy + Croft Phono Integrated, or Kef R500 or the MA Silver 6 + something like Hegel H80 or Nait 5si.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
i like metal + classic rock i am using dali opticon 6s pair this speakers with a good amp they work very well with metal + classic rock or any music i found that book shelf speakers are no good with this type of music you just do not get that low down bass as you do with floor standing speakers unless you look at pmc book shelf speakers but they cost a lot of money

I love the names of the Dali speaker range. Very Doctor Who!

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
[/quote]

That's also the case for the Q Acoustics - they were REALLY shrill with Marantz SR5010. I'd look at Tannoy + Croft Phono Integrated, or Kef R500 or the MA Silver 6 + something like Hegel H80 or Nait 5si.

[/quote]

More shrill than the Tannoy and Monitor Audio?

rainsoothe

[/quote]

More shrill than the Tannoy and Monitor Audio?

[/quote]

Haven't heard the Tannoys, and all the reviews on MA's Silver range say they're a bit rolled off at the top - unlike the Bronze range, which can indeed sound bright (at least the old BX2, BX5 etc). But, for reference, when me and my mate auditioned the Marantz reciever + the Q Acoustics, the glass shattering in the Kill Bill vol. 1 fight, when B*****x fights Veronica Green, was absolutely unbearable. Dali Zensor 7 was night and day a better match for the Marantz.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The MA Silver 6 sounded very enthousiastic with rock and metal, but also harsh and on the bright side. Tannoy XT6F still don't know. I've only read very nice speakers for rock and metal but also on the bright side and maybe not so long listenable.

loneranger

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have heard the Q acoustics 3050 but didn't like it. I can buy a new Exposure 3010S2 for a very, very good price and will do this. But which speakers go with this amp? Kef, Dali or Tannoy?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts