Tannoy TS10 or TS12 (subwoofer) or no subwoofer?

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Last year I bought a Tannoy Arena Lite speaker package. It was really cheap in the UK and had a TS300 subwoofer with it. After half a year I still couldn't find cheap speaker-mounts for the Tannoy Arena Lite... So I sold them and bought this package:

Quad 21L2 = fronts

Quad 9L2 = rears

Quad L2 Centre = duh

However I kept the Tannoy TS300, but now months later, I don't use it that often. It's actually out of sight because it's highgloss silver instead of black highgloss of the Quads. So it can't be easily turned on... for TV and music I don't miss it, but for movies I miss to be shaken awake from time to time.

My questions:

1- So now I'm deciding to buy a new subwoofer and sell the TS300. Or shouldn't I use a subwoofer?

2- I'm looking into the Tannoy TS10 and TS12, which are a lot cheaper than in the Netherlands (600 euro). Should I buy the TS10 or TS12 (only 50 euro difference). The TS10 was rated 5***** and the TS12 only 4****. Is the TS10 better than the TS12?

3- Any other max 300 GBP subwoofer (+possibility off shipping to the Netherlands) advice?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I think there are benefits to a sub, even with full size speakers, and since you miss it then maybe you do need one.

Do you have issues with the sound of the sub, or just the look?

I have the TS300, but have never heard the TS10 or TS12. The TS300 is 10", so if you're happy with the sound of the TS300, the TS10 would probably do you. Regardless of reviews I'd say the TS12 would be better, assuming ti has a bigger cabinet as well as driver, and the TS1201 has had some very good reviews.

However, much as I like Tannoy speakers, since you've got the Quad speakers, would a Quad sub be better looks wise? I think there was a well rated Quad sub out a while back that wasn't that expensive, that came with the Quad Lites I think.

Also, you might well get more bang for your money with a BK sub, if they are available in Holland, especially seeing as you don't have to worry too much about the sub reaching higher frequencies with the large speakers. I've heard the TS300 compared to something like the BK XLS200.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Never thought about just repainting the sub? It isn't that hard to do. Just sand the existing paint, put some primer on and rattle can spray it to any colour you want.

Heyjijdaar

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
kinda:
I think there are benefits to a sub, even with full size speakers, and since you miss it then maybe you do need one.

Do you have issues with the sound of the sub, or just the look?

I have the TS300, but have never heard the TS10 or TS12. The TS300 is 10", so if you're happy with the sound of the TS300, the TS10 would probably do you. Regardless of reviews I'd say the TS12 would be better, assuming ti has a bigger cabinet as well as driver, and the TS1201 has had some very good reviews.

However, much as I like Tannoy speakers, since you've got the Quad speakers, would a Quad sub be better looks wise? I think there was a well rated Quad sub out a while back that wasn't that expensive, that came with the Quad Lites I think.

Also, you might well get more bang for your money with a BK sub, if they are available in Holland, especially seeing as you don't have to worry too much about the sub reaching higher frequencies with the large speakers. I've heard the TS300 compared to something like the BK XLS200.

I've been looking for the BK range, however I can't find any stores in Holland. But what did you mean with: "I've heard the TS300 compared to something like the BK XLS200." The Quad Lite subwoofer would also be a nice alternative, however can't find those anyware. I also ain't stuck on one brand. As long as they sound and look great and have decent price....

kevinJ:Never thought about just repainting the sub? It
isn't that hard to do. Just sand the existing paint, put some primer on
and rattle can spray it to any colour you want.

I actually haven't look into painting the subwoofer. I think my skills won't be good enough...
emotion-7.gif
My last paint it yourself project wasn't that successful.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry, I meant that people had expressed the opinion that the BK XLS200 was similar in sound to the TS300, but I have not compared them myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts