Tannoy Stirling III LZ Special Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

atladude

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
“Tonally, these Tannoys sound lean and short of natural warmth through the midrange, leaving voices and instruments sounding thinner and harder than they should, which also contributes to a cluttered feel to the sound. " --- This is precisely what a Tannoy sounds like when it hasn't had 1000 hours of heavy break-in time. This is a big driver doing the midrange here. Without loosening up the suspension, the midrange energy of the music isn't enough to move that big driver, and that frequency band loses fidelity and balance. Tannoys need a lot of hours, folks. Put in the time, and you'll be rewarded handsomely!

Industry Expert

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
@altadude Tannoy knows they need break-in. A company with UK roots (the Alnico driver is made in China) knows that What HiFi may be the most important review they get for this speaker. That's why they got it before anyone else. I suspect these were not just played...they were gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

I was at Axpona, and instead of being played, these speakers were on top of a cabinet, silent. I was told they didn't sound good, and it was due to not being broken in. So to use that as a reason here doesn't make sense.

Reactions: GraTX

atladude

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
@altadude Tannoy knows they need break-in. A company with UK roots (the Alnico driver is made in China) knows that What HiFi may be the most important review they get for this speaker. That's why they got it before anyone else. I suspect these were not just played...they were gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

I was at Axpona, and instead of being played, these speakers were on top of a cabinet, silent. I was told they didn't sound good, and it was due to not being broken in. So to use that as a reason here doesn't make sense.
If you think the pair at Axpona was the same pair sent to What HiFi, I'm sure you are mistaken. That's a silly assumption. Further, this speaker uses the same driver as Kensington, which was also played last year at Axpona and everyone loved it. The Tannoy cabinets are going to have a minimal impact on midrange fidelity. Any Industry Expert who knows their Tannoys knows that the midrange issues pointed out in this review sound exactly like a Tannoy without enough break-in time.

Industry Expert

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
@altadude It's late here. I'm a bit knackered. Look, I'm not trying to throw a spanner in the works. I'm saying they know to break them in before sending them to the largest UK publication that, back in the day, gave Tannoy a good ink. They have not released a new model in how many years (not trying to be cheeky...I don't recall). So it seems critical.

Do Tannoy drivers made in China have any bearing?

Industry Expert

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
Reactions: SpeakerGuru

GraTX

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
The review seems pretty spot on and the observations make a lot of sense.

1. It would be extremely naïve of those sending out the speakers for what is probably their most important review not to run them in. One must assume they done at least that.

2. Harping on about how the Kensingtons compare is neither here nor there. These were designed and voiced by engineers at Tannoy with decades of experience. Who knitted the crossovers for the new IIILZ and optimized the cabinet tuning? You actually need someone capable to do this. Tannoy's experienced engineers fled the nest years ago. Everything mechanical and acoustical is administered in China unless. Tannoy (aka - Behringer) promised an update, its been 'crickets' for years. Please introduce us to a single mechanical or electroaoustic engineer working for Tannoy in the UK. After all, it does say 'Designed & Manufactured' in the UK on the product.

3. They do look good. But as far as the ownership is concerned its just a speaker in a piece of furniture.

4. Entire UK based 'Tannoy' team shown (I do believe they have just started a new 'Brand Leader').
No speaker design resource in there whatsoever.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 12

podknocker

I don't think any company is legally obliged to declare where they source there parts. Companies can say 'specifications are subject to change without notice' and Tannoy can use cheapo Chinese drive units without the need to tell anyone. So long as the quoted technical figures are still the same, when they roll off the production lines, they can keep quiet about parts and production methods.

These are some of the ugliest speakers I've ever seen and they don't sound any good either. Twelve grand of ugly nonsense. Pointless. Even if they used UK drivers and not the no name Chinese units, why would anyone want to stare at these ghastly speakers? Awful. Go and buy a pair of Focal Sopra speakers and get something which look and sound modern and sophisticated.

Last edited:
Reactions: GraTX and DougK1

Industry Expert

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
The review seems pretty spot on and the observations make a lot of sense.

1. It would be extremely naïve of those sending out the speakers for what is probably their most important review not to run them in. One must assume they done at least that.

2. Harping on about how the Kensingtons compare is neither here nor there. These were designed and voiced by engineers at Tannoy with decades of experience. Who knitted the crossovers for the new IIILZ and optimized the cabinet tuning? You actually need someone capable to do this. Tannoy's experienced engineers fled the nest years ago. Everything mechanical and acoustical is administered in China unless. Tannoy (aka - Behringer) promised an update, its been 'crickets' for years. Please introduce us to a single mechanical or electroaoustic engineer working for Tannoy in the UK. After all, it does say 'Designed & Manufactured' in the UK on the product.

3. They do look good. But as far as the ownership is concerned its just a speaker in a piece of furniture.

4. Entire UK based 'Tannoy' team shown (I do believe they have just started a new 'Brand Leader').
No speaker design resource in there whatsoever.

The "Team" has at least one member photoshopped in. With all the questions about what happened after the old factory was closed in 2020, why don't they speak up?

@GraTX Please explain what Trading Standards is.

Last edited:

Kevin Deal

Feb 7, 2024
Visit site
There is only one reason why Fyne Audio has been dragged into a discussion about a 3-star review of a new Tannoy product. Deflection. (Speculation about other user deleted by moderation).

I own Upscale Audio and a subsidiary company, Harmonia Distribution, which imports Fyne Audio into the USA. I need to set the record straight.

Your comment is incorrect. Fyne Audio has always been very open about their budget range F300 and F500 being made in China and suppliers there are very proud of this brand association. Using that beautiful Vintage Ten image, pulled from Fyne Audio’s website, just demonstrates their love and respect for Fyne Audio.

The Vintage Ten is made in Bellshill, Scotland, including the drivers and crossovers. The crossovers are cryogenically treated in-house using their own lab. The cabinets are made in Europe. Here are a couple pictures I snagged of the Fyne manufacturing facility. Here, you see the team building and testing Vintage Tens, including Dr Paul Mills, the former Director of Research and Engineering at Tannoy and now doing amazing research at Fyne Audio.

You can see their office and factory address on their website. After the Munich show, I will film them building all these ranges in Scotland. They have nothing to hide.

Let's stay on track. The performance of the Tannoy llI LZ SE. This unfortunate review is painful, and frankly, it hurts me because I, too, poured years of my life into Tannoy.

As to the claim, "It's possible someone in their distribution center mistakenly dispatched the wrong pair to the reviewer.” Tannoy used what was called the “Gold Sample,” which was a perfect example for reviews and shows. The gold samples sent from the factory to Axpona 2023 could not be used because they sounded like the speaker described so aptly in this review:

"Tonally, these Tannoys sound lean and short of natural warmth through the midrange, leaving voices and instruments sounding thinner and harder than they should, which also contributes to a cluttered feel to the sound"

That's the sound we heard from our Gold Samples at Axpona 2023. We unhooked them and told people they weren't broken in. Same story. This is a critical review, and I suspect they sent the best-sounding Gold Sample, properly broken in, with the prettiest woodgrain. I admit they look great.

The stuff you mention about suspension is noise, and again, to change the narrative. Shortly before Tannoy closed the Coatbridge factory in 2020, I listened to a prototype of this speaker, and it sounded very good. What happened? Is it because they moved driver production to China? I first learned that drivers are now made in China in October 2023. Or maybe something else? I have no clue. But I do know this:

Fyne Audio has continued to invest in innovation and was just awarded a patent for their BassTrax design. Their new FyneFlute suspension will last for decades and, most importantly, perform. Hence, the five-star review on the $8,999 Fyne Audio Classic X.

So many people have thanked me for carrying the torch for Tannoy like I did. When I saw the Fyne Audio room at Axpona, I thought, "Tannoy could be doing this". I was both excited for Fyne Audio and scared for my own situation.

I’m now working with a WONDERFUL brand. They are truly a partner, not just with my company but also the customers who buy their speakers. Fyne Audio designs and manufactures incredible products in Scotland and is open to questions that honor the word “transparent.”

Now…what is the address for the Tannoy factory? They are clearly branded "Made in the U.K." Where? There were plenty of pictures of Coatbridge back in the day. How many people worked there?

image003 (1).jpgimage001 (1).jpg

Last edited:

GraTX

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
The "Team" has at least one member photoshopped in. With all the questions about what happened after the old factory was closed in 2020, why don't they speak up?

@GraTX Please explain what Trading Standards is.
Trading Standards are a government service that make sure that consumers are protected from unfair trading and allow them to successfully support businesses that are legitimate. It's all very ambiguous though and to be honest I don't know the rules. There is an interesting article here on the subject where there is a registered collective trademark owned by the Made in Great Britain Campaign Ltd which Tannoy used to actually use. I don't think they do now -

GraTX

Sep 26, 2023
Visit site
"Pretty spot on." Are you by any chance associated with Fyne Audio? It seems you've never given Tannoy speakers a proper run-in, or are you here to promote Fyne's agenda against Tannoy?

Many speaker companies these days don't employ full-time engineers. They opt for consultants instead. And it does make sense to have external engineers examine a brand's existing designs and ethos. Fresh perspectives and ideas often invigorate a brand and enhance its performance.

Take Fyne Audio, for example. Their supporters are always quick to accuse Tannoy and cry foul about manufacturing in China, yet Fyne's speakers come by Meiloo in Taiwan. Quite ironic, don't you think?

Here's a screenshot from today of Meiloo's homepage showcasing the supposedly 'Made in Scotland' Fyne Vintage 10. Just because Fyne Audio's Taiwanese partner establishes an office in London, it hardly qualifies Fyne Audio as a UK manufacturer.

The screenshot speaks volumes. I doubt the Meiloon team required much assistance from Fyne's in-house speaker design resource.

In today's interconnected world, we're undeniably part of a global economy. Nearly every product is assembled somewhere, with parts and materials sourced globally.

I've personally run in several pairs of Tannoy speakers, and depending on the driver size, it typically takes between 500 and 1000 hours of intensive use to achieve optimal performance. That's particularly true for drivers with fabric surrounds. This review is of a fresh pair of Tannoy. This is precisely how they all sound out of the box.

Perhaps someone at Tannoy doesn't appreciate or acknowledge the necessity of such an extended break-in period. It's possible someone in their distribution center mistakenly dispatched the wrong pair to the reviewer. This might even explain why Meiloon opted not to utilize fabric surrounds in the Tannoy driver designs provided by Fyne Audio, aiming for better out-of-the-box performance.

On a separate note, I'm curious how Fyne's surround material will fare after 30 years compared to Tannoy's. Or perhaps Fyne Audio isn't aiming to create enduring products that can be passed down through generations. I've had the pleasure of listening to 30-year-old Tannoy speakers, and those drivers are still performing admirably.

View attachment 6118
I'd love to be associated with Fyne. Just watching a group of talented people, who in a relatively short space of time are eating Tannoy's (Music Tribe's) breakfast, is a joy to behold. It's hardly as if they don't know what they are doing though?
Keeping the talent pool together, albeit under a different brand name, refreshed products sporting 5 star reviews, manufacturing in the same location in the shadow of the old place, keeping people gainfully employed, what's not to like?

I think its pretty ridiculous to advocate that a company with the heritage of Tannoy would need to use 'consultants' for electroacoustic design. Competing brands pride themselves on their inhouse resources. Absolutely, outside consultation and industrial design would be a good thing to examine a brand's existing designs and ethos.
"Fresh perspectives and ideas often invigorate a brand and enhance its performance"
That would fine if they actually came up with anything original. Nothing significant has seen the light of day in 7-8 years.

On the subject of Meiloon, Fyne are completely transparent about building budget products overseas. Because there is a picture on a website due to association doesn't mean that particular model is made there.

Fyne are very transparent about where their products are made. You can at least physically go the the factory and find out for yourself. I encourage you to do so.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP96yB7J800

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELf8jgc3zPU

People have been asking the once proud Tannoy, who were only too glad to show off their manufacturing prowess the same; met with deafening silence.

You brought up the subject of established offices. In the UK it is very easy to search for a company, its existence, and current status -

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00498558

Tannoy long dissolved, now Music Tribe Brands.
I guess anyone could now register the name in the UK if they wanted.
If someone at the factory (sorry, distribution center) sent out the wrong product for review then they deserve all they get.

Rubber/Fabric surrounds, sorry you are clutching at straws I'm afraid. Dr. Paul Mills decides what goes into the product. Correct, there are rubber and fabric surrounds from Tannoy fairing just fine for many years, both in the Residential and Pro-Audio markets.
Its just as well they last, Tannoy once had a thriving business supporting legacy product; re-cone kits for virtually everything they ever made.
Nowadays you can't get a spare part for anything out of warranty.

It's not just Fyne who have came out from the ashes of Tannoy either, there is another -

Once used exclusively Tannoy drivers in broadcast and studio. Doing their own pepperpot that looks quite nice.

There is only one reason why Fyne Audio has been dragged into a discussion about a 3-star review of a new Tannoy product. Deflection. (Speculation about other user deleted by moderation).

I own Upscale Audio and a subsidiary company, Harmonia Distribution, which imports Fyne Audio into the USA. I need to set the record straight.

Your comment is incorrect. Fyne Audio has always been very open about their budget range F300 and F500 being made in China and suppliers there are very proud of this brand association. Using that beautiful Vintage Ten image, pulled from Fyne Audio’s website, just demonstrates their love and respect for Fyne Audio.

The Vintage Ten is made in Bellshill, Scotland, including the drivers and crossovers. The crossovers are cryogenically treated in-house using their own lab. The cabinets are made in Europe. Here are a couple pictures I snagged of the Fyne manufacturing facility. Here, you see the team building and testing Vintage Tens, including Dr Paul Mills, the former Director of Research and Engineering at Tannoy and now doing amazing research at Fyne Audio.

You can see their office and factory address on their website. After the Munich show, I will film them building all these ranges in Scotland. They have nothing to hide.

Let's stay on track. The performance of the Tannoy llI LZ SE. This unfortunate review is painful, and frankly, it hurts me because I, too, poured years of my life into Tannoy.

As to the claim, "It's possible someone in their distribution center mistakenly dispatched the wrong pair to the reviewer.” Tannoy used what was called the “Gold Sample,” which was a perfect example for reviews and shows. The gold samples sent from the factory to Axpona 2023 could not be used because they sounded like the speaker described so aptly in this review:

"Tonally, these Tannoys sound lean and short of natural warmth through the midrange, leaving voices and instruments sounding thinner and harder than they should, which also contributes to a cluttered feel to the sound"
I have removed your speculation about another user, along with a term used to describe one of their posts. Please stay on topic as per forum rules. Thanks.

Kevin Deal

Feb 7, 2024
Visit site
This thread is not about Fyne - any further posts about them will be edited or removed.

Personal disagreements about the merits/rivalries should be taken elsewhere.

I would like to thank the moderator. I can see that @atladude is very upset at getting this somewhat bad review. But I prefer to not have my name drug into it any further. Can the moderator please put a stop to it? Thank you.

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
I am the person who produced the video linked above.

I went to purchase Tannoy for myself and that did not go well with what I seem to discover about Tannoy with What Hi-Fi reporting and BBC reporting.

I will make no personal attacks as this is not a personal issue for me. I will simply state facts that I can back up with proof:.

1) I reached out to Tannoy numerous times prior to the video and they never cared to respond;

2) The US distributor posted on my video for all to see (and it is still pinned up at the top of that video and I have screen shots to save as well) stating my video was untrue but he would no elaborate how;

3) He was asked by me and offered a free and open opportunity to correct the record - he never chose to reply or respond.

I have no ax to grind with Tannoy. I do not work for or have any vested interest with ANYONE in the audio industry. I have no affiliation with ANY party in this soap opera. I will say the "cloak and dagger" by Tannoy about its products and specifically their claims in the USA has been going on for quite some time.

I went to purchase Tannoy for myself and then uncovered what I did. It was this disappointment AND MORE SPECIFICALLY my US dealer recommending Fyne audio to me that led me to discover Fyne. I had never even heard of them prior to that.

I hope Tannoy can re-right the ship, as we all need a strong and wonderful Tannoy in the audio world.

As a reader of What Hi-Fi for decades, as usual I appreciate their honest review.

Last edited:

podknocker

Seems to me that Tannoy is just another company risking it's reputation, by pushing too hard to cut costs in search of bigger profits. Not the first and it won't be the last...
They are owned by a company called Music Tribe in the Philippines and I think their aspirations and plans for Tannoy, don't match what the UK, or even most audiophiles round the world expect from this brand. Will the build, package and sound actually turn out to be something we would want from Tannoy? I think they've lost the plot and selling a twelve grand wardrobe with a nasty sounding speaker on the front might prove to be very difficult. Perhaps they think most people in the UK live in massive mansions with acres of floorspace.

Last edited:

podknocker

Instead of all this expensive and wasteful carpentry, why don't they get their speaker drive units sorted and pop them into a nice, modern and inert plastic or resin type of enclosure? There's also carbon fibre as an option. Wilson Benesch use loads of it. It just seems bonkers to me that all this effort goes into making these 'wow, retro is so cool' designs and they fall short. It must be more expensive making a speaker look old, when modern materials and the corresponding production methods, would cost less. I can't see the market for these speakers and if I had £12k and plenty of space, I'd go for a pair of B&W 805 D4 and stands. I bet they sound incredible and at least they have a modern aesthetic. With the change, you could pick up a decent amp to drive them. These Tannoys are quality pieces of furniture which make sound, rather than great sounding speakers, with a nice furniture feel and appearance. I honestly don't know who would be looking for something that looks so dated and doesn't deliver on sound quality. There must be loads of other options if you have £12k knocking around. Has anyone got a HIFI Rose RA520 and stuck a pair of B&W 805D4 speakers on the end of it? That's about £12k and has just become my dream system.

Last edited:

Industry Expert

Feb 2, 2024
Visit site
People who know the truth are telling you here, because they watched it happen. Tannoy has not answered the question about where a UK factory exists ever since Coatbridge was closed in 2020. This is what people are often paying for.

It says on the box designed and made in the U.K. Uli Behringer is a very smart man, and knows how to make money. I suspect he is serving the customers he wants. Synth users. Speakers like this are not a lot of business compared to that. Go forums about the topic.

I suggest anyone curious do some research, and read this entire article as a start.

Vice Article Behringer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS