Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T - Recent review, good match?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am considering the Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T as speakers in an audio only system, or possibly the DC6 bookshelf within the same line. The WhatHiFi review in this month's magazine mentions a "bright and crisp" treble as the only real concern, and therefore concludes good system matching is key. I am hoping to buy an integrated amp to drive these speakers and my price range is under $1,000 Cdn. This puts me in the NAD, Cambridge Audio, and Rotel territory (not sure if there are other brands).

Considering the concern about these speakers, which integrated is the best match? There are only a couple of Tannoy dealers in my area and so I can't listen to each of these possible matches. Cambridge will be easy for me to hear, probalby Rotel too, but the Tannoy dealers here do not carry NAD. Funny thing is, from what I've read, NAD is probably the best match for a speaker with a bright treble.

Of the three brands, how would you describe the sound? Can anyone list them in order of best match? Are there other brands in this price range I could consider?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Stay away from Cambridge Audio...I'm not a fan & I don't think they match well with bright speakers.

NAD C355bee & possibly Rotel would be the way to go...

Where in Canada are you from?

A

Anonymous

I agree with the esteemed mr boogie. The Cambridge gear (although well made) would be grating with those speakers. Which are quite nice btw. I'd say NAD. Followed by NAD, and then some NAD. From your list.

I should say that being in Canada does have its minor advantages in HiFi. You should check out Jolida tube equipment, it fairly widely available in North America, cheap, excessively well built and tubetastic. You cannot spend in that pricerange without auditioning it.

I'd also recommend staying away from Anthem, it's local and heftily marked up so salesmen pitch it. But it's heavy-handed rubbish. And I'm not one to slag manufacturers:)

On the high side of that 1000 figure is the Audiolab 8000s, very nice machine. At 1050 the Creek evo is fantastic. Finally the Rega Brio is a must-hear. I'd say that would sound the best on those Tannoys. Although its a wild guess.

A

Anonymous

Hi Ray,

I'm planning to buy the DC6T's too!. I heard them with a marantz receiver AND with a NAD amp. To be honest, I didn't heard the difference. They were both great.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

I'm also not a fan of Anthem...lower than Cambridge Audio on my list, and everyone knows how unimpressed I am by CA.

The NAD would probably be the way to go. I'm really not a fan of Marantz, but that's based on years of being let down everytime I audition or work with one. Their CD players tend to sound nice, but I'd stay away from a Marantz amp - much better to be had in the price range, IMO.

I haven't heard the Creek Evo yet, but friends have told me that it sounds nothing like a Creek. It's designed by Santo Prattico, not Mike Creek, and sounds more like a Puccini amplifier. It's also made in China, which makes me a little hesitant to buy (other amps like Exposure are only a little more expensive and still made in England).

Keep us updated & good luck with your auditioning!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="brock_boogie"]

Stay away from Cambridge Audio...I'm not a fan & I don't think they match well with bright speakers.

NAD C355bee & possibly Rotel would be the way to go...

Where in Canada are you from?
[/quote]I'm just outside of Toronto.

It's funny - that exact amp you mentioned is the one that I sort of have in mind as the likely winner. Nice to know Rotel may work as well. Guess CA just isn't an ideal match.

I'm not married to Tannoy though. I plan to audition several speakers in addition to the Revolutions - most notably the Paradigm Reference Signature S1 and the NHT Model 3. Those seem like two really strong options based on some amazing reviews. The Tannoy has me most intrigued though due to their dual concentric driver technology, as well as the fact that the dealer is giving me a full credit on the Mercury F2s I bought if I trade them in within a year of purchase (I bought the F2s late last year). I think I'm actually leaning to buying a bookshelf model now. For a time I was leaning to towers but I think bookshelves will be easier to manage...so rather than the DC6T I'll probably be looking at just the DC6.

Thanks for the replies everyone. By the way, Anthem is not something I'm considering. Rega, Creek, Naim, and brands like these, while I'm definitely curious, would come in over budget. Maybe as part of a future upgrade.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

How much does the DC6T (floorstander) retail for in Canadian?

BTW - I'm in Toronto myself!

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing about $1,500ish based on what I see at some online UK retailers.

I haven't called the dealer to obtain a price yet. To be honest, I am just in the planning stages (trying to determine what equipment I want to hear, which stores I'll go to, working out an upgrade plan if I don't buy everything all at once, all that fun stuff). So I probably won't be going out to listen until mid summer.

EDIT: whoops, I thought you meant the price of the DC6 bookshelf. The floorstander I'd guess would be $2,000 to $2,500. Too rich for me I'm afraid. But who knows...I will actually call to get a price on these two models in the next week or two.

A

Anonymous

Keep us updated!

If you're looking at spending $1500 for a bookshelf pair, there's definitely others you should be auditioning.

A

Anonymous

hi all,

i have just bought the tannoy dc6t and dc6 lcr to match with denon avr 2808. any suggestions to this set up or is there a better receiver that i should match with if im both a movie and music lover? pls kindly share your opinions, Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Funny,

I am just outside Toronto as well (Mississauga) - and am also considering the Tannoy signature revolution speakers DC6 T - floor standing.

What concerns me is the price - I've been quoted $3400 CAN.

I just bought a Marantz SR7002 THX Select2 Surround Receiver and SA8001 Super Audio CD Player. I think the Tannoys would be a good match but I'd like to find them cheaper - I could order from them from UK and probably Net them cheaper - even with delivery, as the CAN $ has gone up.

I was considering Paradigm as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Gary

A

Anonymous

Hope it's okay to bump an old thread. Change of plans over the past six or so months. I decided to upgrade my source first and earlier this summer I bought an Arcam DV135. Reason for getting a DVD player to use as my audio source is that I want to play DVD-A and SACD. The Arcam was heavily discounted to $699 so I couldn't resist.

I did call for pricing on the Tannoy and the bookshelf comes to $2,000,
while the tower, as DVDBeaver mentioned, is about $3,400.

By the way, are you guys still around and still considering the Tannoys?

I'll be buying speakers and an amp hopefully a year or so from now. Leaning to towers now. I think the Tannoys might be too rich for me unless I opt for bookshelves, but I will make a point of listening to them. I'm thinking of the Monitor Audio GS20 or the PMC GB1i, though I might go for the bookshelf models if these are too expensive. Who knows, maybe a year from now I'll find a deal on the towers. I will also be looking at the B&W 685 or 684.

The amp will be chosen from a matching Arcam A28, or NAD 372, Cambridge Audio 740A, Rega Brio/Mira, Naim Nait 5i, or Marantz PM8003.

Testing will determine the combo I ultimately end up with. I'll let you guys know how things go but it won't be for another year or so at the earliest.

A

Anonymous

IMHO Planning to buy electronics for a year from now makes nonsense to me. It just make sense if you decide which pieces of kit you want and save the money for them without regarding what's going to appear or disappear in the electronics market.

Just guess how many new models can appear in the market and how many stars will be lost or won by the products in your beloved magazine.

A

Anonymous

Yes, of course, the choices change over time. For example, the Marantz wasn't in the picture until recently, since it's a brand new model. I didn't mean I'll be looking for these exact models, they are simply the ones I'd consider as it stands right now. But if, for example, NAD releases a 375 then it would perhaps replace the 372 on my list.

TRENDING THREADS