Tangent

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
For some reason I had the impression that Tangent made some very good high end equipment but have seen ads on Gumtree & Ebay for really cheap Tangent amps.
Have they been bought out and/or the name recycled, or was it my imagination that they were once high end?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I believe Tangent is a part of the same company who produce Eltax speakers. They're not exactly high-end, but good value and reasonable quality would be my summary.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I nearly bought some Tangent SPL 1s in the late 70s....they were in the What Hifi recommended budget system, along with a Sony TAF 4A and Trio KD 1033B.

I bought the Trio and Sony, but got some Keesonic Kubs, instead.

I think they made VFM kit that was generally recommended.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I was getting names muddled up, looks like they've only been around since 1996, I was thinking late 80s they made some top end stuff. My mistake.

Gaz37 said:
Maybe I was getting names muddled up, looks like they've only been around since 1996, I was thinking late 80s they made some top end stuff. My mistake.
I think you're right. I recall some Tangent speakers that were a bit like a Spendor BC1.

A KEF 8" unit with a reflex port, and the tweeter du jour. I'm getting something with 4 in the name, RS4 maybe (or is that an Audi?).

Gaz37 said:
For some reason I had the impression that Tangent made some very good high end equipment but have seen ads on Gumtree & Ebay for really cheap Tangent amps. Have they been bought out and/or the name recycled, or was it my imagination that they were once high end?

Not mistaking them for Tandberg are you?

Gaz37 said:
Their own website says they started in 1996 Yet we remember & have owned earlier equipment
I guess if the original brand folded the newer firm could use the name. And hence starting long after the original Tangent disappeared. It definitely existed long ago, when I worked with hifi until the mid-80s.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts