. . . talking wood . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As I have said recently I dont do much fiddling and tweeking on my TT these days . . . it does what I want. However, 'never say never', I got inspired talking wood the other day, spacificaly 'balsawood'. We have had some discussion on aftermarket Rega Sub Platter, they all seem to have some sort of 'standoff' arangement, mine has 3 brass inserts at 1.6mm. I have long over riden these with 2mm hard rubber stand offs. My thought 'what if I replaced the rubber with balsawood' . . . so whilst in the man cave yesterday I cut three 6mm x 6mm x 2mm balsa stand offs. A two miniute job to cut and five miniuts to install, a small change resulted that I like, on lesser equipment, I doubt the change could be heard, but a change there is, a tad warmer, the sort of effect 'wood' introduces to the sound. Nothing radical but I appreciate it as a worth while simple change.

Whilst I have been listening recently and adding those lead shilds to my valve amp I noticed the rectifier valve was loose. Investigation showed the adhesive that glued the bakerlite base to the glass tube hade crumbled away! New tube rquired, looked in my stock, replaced it with a suposed upgrade. I lost the warm sound to a 'sharp, detailed slightly sabiliant' sound, not terible but edging towards the modern presentation I do not like.

On to eBay, rooted around and found a replacement, two infact, one a direct 247B change and another 5Z3PA made by Shuguang as an alternative. Neither were expensive, so I orderd both, the direct replacement arived in fairly short order, all was sweetess and light again. The alternative valve took longer as it had to come from China, I would normaly put it in the cuboard as stock. This time I thought 'try it' . . . a little flat perhaps, although I could hear there might be something there?

The new Shuguang has about 10 hours under its belt, not long by runing in times for valves. I have been listening to Spotify today up to now whilst on the computer. Time to have a cuppa, listen to the Archers, then get the vinyle out, the new valve is coming to life, foot tapping drive, with a richness and clarity that is not what I would associate with Spotify, and a very strong, clean base line.

Watch this space, a bonus, the 5Z3PA was only £8.50, a third of the price of the direct replacement!

CJSF

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
Talking wood? Ent maybe? or maybe would? Talking would raise the hackles of sensitive people? Talking would be a waste of time to a rock? A Ent would talk given a hobbit! Money talks Ents won't!...What wood say if it would talk?

Seriously, really, and not meaning this nastily, can you PLEASE just f**k off for a bit and stop spamming EVERY THREAD with your inane drivel.

I know I won't be greatly missed, but honestly, I'm out of here until you're banned.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Talking wood? Ent maybe? or maybe would? Talking would raise the hackles of sensitive people? Talking would be a waste of time to a rock? A Ent would talk given a hobbit! Money talks Ents won't!...What wood say if it would talk?

Honestly, really, and without being nasty, can you not just f**k off for a bit and stop spamming EVERY THREAD with your inane drivel.

I know I won't be greatly missed, but honestly, I'm out of here until you're banned.
sorry major i will remove it! Better?

K

keeper of the quays

Looks like this thread has been referenced! So I'll have to now comment..major if you feel so strongly about your forum..and think you should have the executive decision on whom may or may not post and where? Start a new forum..take your pomposity with you please and should your mates yes the ones who gang up on anybody who you and your mates don't like..can they go too...as I care not for that shabby behaviour...if anything about the lack of mods..its meant you and your motley crew have run amok! The keeper arrived, things started to change..more new people posted! Old members started to post again..maybe it suits you that this forum was becalmed..it doesn't suit me..new wind! The sails fill..and the ship moves on..

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
If if you have nothing useful to say, don't say anything.

Looks like this thread has been referenced! So I'll have to now comment..major if you feel so strongly about your forum..and think you should have the executive decision on whom may or may not post and where? Start a new forum..take your pomposity with you please and should your mates yes the ones who gang up on anybody who you and your mates don't like..can they go too...as I care not for that shabby behaviour...if anything about the lack of mods..its meant you and your motley crew have run amok! The keeper arrived, things started to change..more new people posted! Old members started to post again..maybe it suits you that this forum was becalmed..it doesn't suit me..new wind! The sails fill..and the ship moves on..

K

keeper of the quays

Freddy58 said:
Give it a rest eh?
Let's see what your saying? A member is rude..then gets precious!then does the my hurt feelings? I hadn't planned to comment further on this thread as I like the major and had no wish to upset him...but plastic using part of this thread to castigate me whilst he is doing his best to be rude and then asking for sympathy for his hurt feelings..So I had to say something..think your curt advice is for plastic, not me...As I said, if one can give it..then can they take it? Seems not?

K

keeper of the quays

Waxy said:
If if you have nothing useful to say, don't say anything.

Better advice from Shakespeare.."Neither a borrower nor lender be, For loan oft loses both itself and friend. And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry." Hells teeth that's good advice...

Paul.

Dude, a thread is started by someone who genuinely cares about their hifi, high quality fettling going on here.

The first thing you wanna do is derail it with hobbit references? Now said poster is probably not gonna come back. There is generally an etiquette to thread derailment, once question has been answered or OP is satisfied you can go nuts. Wait a little while though yeah?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Better advice from Shakespeare.."Neither a borrower nor lender be, For loan oft loses both itself and friend. And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry." Hells teeth that's good advice...

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool"

K

keeper of the quays

Waxy said:

Very good quote! By knowing we know nothing? We then know something, which is nothing! And the path to wisdom starts from that first step...( I just made that up but it I have badly paraphrased a guru? Apologies!)

Waxy said:

Amen to that. And there's been a few 'wise men' turning up here lately.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
The thread seems well and truly derailed so I'll add my tuppence for what it's worth.

As a contented fool myself, I enjoy any process which advances my thinking and healthy debate is one of the best. Internet forums can be great places for it but can often degenerate. One only needs to look at the Microsoft robot, produced as a completely neutral artificial intelligence and let loose into the virtual world to form it's opinions, it became a racist bigot within days.

Keeper, I think diversity is essential in having debate - where's the debate if we all think the same - but you've got to make sense before anyone can engage. I was joking when I asked whether you use an enigma machine to create your posts but my point was real. Word-smithing is only of any value if the recipients can understand the point contained therein.

To paraphrase, sorry about the long post, I didn't have time to write a short one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts