tacima cs929 six way + mains conditioner- a flop

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Purchased the Tacima six way + and found it underwhelming. The triumph of unrealisitc expectation over cold reality ! ? Or am I not doing or getting something.

The T is dealing with bi wired QED to Band W 685's and other cables from Denon 2309, sky hd box, Teac 300 DHR, Band W CM , Pana 35 bd , b and w 686 surrounds and 608 sub, 37 pana , all packed in behind a an Alphason 3 level stand.

I know that's a lot going on but I thought space saving as well as clarity of signal was the T's thing? Do I need to give all the cabling more room to breathe and do I untidy the cable tidy's ?!

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Well I've not had chance to plug mine in yet but I have seen people post that plugging the AMP into the Tacima can cause a restriction on the sound quality due to the power it tries to draw. They suggested having everything except the amp plugged into the Tacima and then using a good quality mains cable from RA or CA for the AMP.

Other may be able to enlighten you more and there are a number of threads in the accessory section.

A

Anonymous

I'm not surprised if you are pulling all that load through a 13Amp fuse!
The TV and Amp will have big current demands and I would only put one of them onto the Tacima 929.
Why not try plugging in your lower amperage units, put them in the block in order of which draws the most 1st and work down the line.

Also check the fuse rating in the Tacima and change it to 13A if it is not.

Sliced Bread

Trevor69,

You truly are the Oracle on all things mains related ;)

I have not considered this. I currently have both my 905 (huge consumption) and a 50" Plasma (pretty high consumption pulling from the Tacima (along side a DVD Player and Sky box. The thing is there is only one power socket in the wall where the system is placed. If I was to change the single power outlet in the wall to a double, would this improve the sound quality of my system, and in what way (i.e. cleaner / more dynamic)? Also when you say place them in order is that in order of the most demanding nearest to the Tacimas cable (on the right)?

Just curious before I go through any effort in adding the socket.

Many Thanks

PS: I won't hold it against you if it doesn't work :)

EDIT: The double socket in the wall is so the Amp or Plasma can be plugged directly into the wall, or perhaps via another Tacima.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your praise John, by the way it is 79 not 69.

The basics are simple really, current flows down the wire like water does down a pipe. You have a natural flow rate so the larger the diameter of the pipe the greater the flow.

So with electrical supplies current flow is restricted by several things, the size of the wiring (20Amp on house mains), size of the fuses (13A), the number of fuses in the wiring from the consumer unit to the transformer in the equipment.
This is Impedance, BUT that is only part of the problem as with music the current demands can be off the scale for short bursts and if the Amp doesn't have much reservoir capacitance the juice runs out. This is a state most people will be very familiar with as the sound hardens up, looses its timing and body.

Sorry I'm rambling, in answer to your question, yes a double socket will be an improvement as you will have 2 fused 13Amp draws off the 20Amp ring. Remember to Earth the socket to the base unit when putting one in. Also whilst you are at it if you can pull 40Amp wiring through from the CU that gives a better quality feed.

Personally as with many modders I don't use fuses in my plugs and in the past used the old 15A plugs and sockets which are not fused at all.(which is not to current British regulations)
I use circuit breakers at either end of the runs (CU and Units) so do not have the fuse restrictions on the current. They react quicker and allow full current flow up to the spurs rating, in my case 40Amps. :)

A

Anonymous

trevor79:Thanks for your praise John, by the way it is 79 not 69.

The basics are simple really, current flows down the wire like water does down a pipe. You have a natural flow rate so the larger the diameter of the pipe the greater the flow.

So with electrical supplies current flow is restricted by several things, the size of the wiring (20Amp on house mains), size of the fuses (13A), the number of fuses in the wiring from the consumer unit to the transformer in the equipment.
This is Impedance, BUT that is only part of the problem as with music the current demands can be off the scale for short bursts and if the Amp doesn't have much reservoir capacitance the juice runs out. This is a state most people will be very familiar with as the sound hardens up, looses its timing and body.

Sorry I'm rambling, in answer to your question, yes a double socket will be an improvement as you will will have 2 fused 13Amp draws off the 20Amp ring. Remember to Earth the socket to the base unit when putting one in. Also whilst you are at it if you can pull 40Amp wiring through from the CU that gives a better quality feed.

Personally as with many modders I don't use fuses in my plugs, I use circuit breakers at either end of the runs (which is not to British regulations) so do not have the fuse restrictions on the current. They react quicker anyway and allow full current flow at the wires rating, in my case 40Amps. :)

A single mains socket with the fuses in the plugs retained isn't going to cause any problem with any AV set up like the OP's and is safer. It won't even come close to the maximum current available. Perhaps a Pink Floyd sized one may struggle and blow fuses, but that's another story.

IMO your "advice" EDITED BY MODS - please do not attack other users will jeopardise safety and the benefits you are experiencing only exist in your imagination.

Sliced Bread

trevor79:Thanks for your praise John, by the way it is 79 not 69.
Is that what is called a Freudian slip?

Thanks for the clarification, it's appreciated :) I'm going to find the time to add the extra socket, probably next month when I re-decorate.

Take Care

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts