T+A CRITERION - TL-Loudspeakers

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

After looking at a few British, then American and then German audio magazines I realised that all of them had totally different companies that they rated highly and quite often the majority of brands were very much local to each market, with the exception of brands like Bowers & Wilkins. So after much hunting through online reviews and magazines and some auditioning a couple of years ago I bought a pair of T+A CRITERION - TL-Loudspeakers, the CRITERION TS 200 floorstander speakers. The company has won many awards for its high-end audio equipment as well as speakers in Germany and are well regarded.

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=26&L=1

I was curious if anyone else on these forums has or is familiar with these German speakers and could share their experiences. I know the readership is very international so was hoping to bump into someone who may have set up a 5.1 system with a matching T+A subwoofer (TW 600) and center (TC 500). Currently I have a pair of Monitor Audio BR2's lined up to be the rear pair (bought them a while back for another use, as WHF recommended them with 5 stars, and they're still in the box). My T+A TS200's are linked to an Onkyo TX-SR875 7.1 AV receiver.

Appreciate any feedback from the knowledgeable readers at WHF.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

T+A make fabulous kit, but it is barely known in the UK, so you'll be lucky to get a response. The German audio magazines, mostly available on thew web, could perhaps help.

The only thing I'd say is that your Monitor Audio speakers are not even close to the standard of T+A speakers, judging from what I heard albeit a few years ago now.

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Grottyash,

Thanks for the response. I had used the german magazine Steroplay magazine as a research tool when I bought them and they were highly ranked and rated there. At the ime I auditioned them, a pair of B&W 804's and Audio Physic Virgo & Scorpio's.

The Monitor Audio were bought for a totally different use in another house, but then I realised they were too big to be placed in the location/room I had hoped, so they ended up staying in the box... sad but true. So now they will be used as the rears in a 5.1 set up. The matching T+A bookshelf/rear speakers are around ?1000. It would be nice to get them, but with the MA's lying there, new and unused, it would be a bit extravagant...

Still would like to hear from the WHF staff and their well travelled expertise.

So now back to putting together that 5.1 system! Next on list, a new Panasonic Plasma and Blu Ray player.... tv must pass the wife test first as the 10 year old Sony CRT is still doing well!

A

Anonymous

Hi, I would also be very interested to hear what the folks at WHF have to say. I moved to Germany recently and am now at the point of upgrading my entire home entertainment system and I really don't know where to start. I currently have an 8 year old Sony all in one 5.1 home system which is really not good enough. I am interested in the B&W MT-30 simply because of the outstanding reviews I have read here. However, when I speak with the locals here they are pointing me towards the Criterion T&A range as a higher end system (TS 300 fronts, TR 450 backs, TC 500 center, TW 600 sub). I have been given a significantly discounted quote (down from EUR 7500 to EUR 4500) so I am tempted but I don't know if this is just a really expensive brand or if they are actually really good as well.

Any thoughts / input would be really very much appreciated.

Thanks!

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hi Captbrim,

Not sure if this helps. Just a list of awards that they have received...

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/index.php?id=91&L=1

The prices that you mentioned looked good! T+A are well respected in Germany and I guess their prices reflect that. A friend had a 10-15 yea old pair of floorstanders and they still sounded great.

I did check out the Audio Physic range (Virgo approx €6k/pair and approx Tempo €3k/pair at the time) too and they had some very nice speakers at fair high-end prices.

http://www.audiophysic.com/index_e.html

http://www.audiophysic.com/tempo/index_e.html

http://www.audiophysic.com/virgo/index_e.html

As I mentioned earlier Stereoplay rated both speakers very well for their audio capabilities and the prices were better than the others in the same audio quality range so it made them easier to shortlist. The T+A had the best price/rating so I made them a priority to audition. Then the price was also below market, so i bought a set. Happy listener!

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

For barely a year now i actually do have the T+A Criterion 200 loudspeakers whom I was lucky to buy on a off-sale, along with an Exposure XXXV amp also halfpriced. Living in Italy, I put together british and german high-end pieces, promoting hifi-multiculturalism... Both the components are fabulous, never heard my favourite music so brilliant before! :cheer:

A

Anonymous

TnA200 said:
Hi,

After looking at a few British, then American and...

Meanwhile, may I ask what are your American magazine (or webzine) reference? Eventough I'm all in WHF, sometime I'm having a hard time getting that kind of American info (eg: Gemme Audio just to name that one).

Thanks!

TnA200

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
mrox,

I looked online and when I was in the the US at a few magazines (don't recall the names, but probably they have websites too).

Home Page | Stereophile.com

Home Page | Home Theater

Sound and Vision Magazine | Home Theater and Stereo Reviews, Best HDTVs, Music, Blu-ray

These are a few of the online site/magazines. Usually when you look for a specific product the different site/magazines that review them all pop up with reviews/news and it's easy to see by the prices what country they're from.

Hope this helps.

Regards, TnA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts