Systemdek IIX Upgrade: Clearaudio Concept or Rega RP6

simongreenmind

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. My current set up consists of:

Arcam AVR350
Rega Phono MM
Systemdek IIX turntable with Linn Basik Arm and Ortofon 520 Mk II cartridge
Denon TU1800 tuner
Linn Genki CD player

I'm keen to upgrade my turntable and keen on the two tables mentioned. I mainly play indie rock like The Pixies, Mogwai, The Shins etc, so want something punchy, with decent bottom end and also capable of good dynamics. Which of these would be a good upgrade? They're both a similar price. I also considered a second hand RP8 or Linn LP12, but want to keep it simple with set up. Any suggestions?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I used to have a Systemdek IIX with RB250 arm and Ortofon 2M Blue, cracking deck. Bouncy as hell though, mounting on a wall shelf absolutely vital. Sold mine on 2 or 3 years ago when I thought I was going to leave vinyl behind, but regretted selling it within a couple of weeks.

I think you could also add my current TT to your potential demo list - Pro-Ject 2Xperience. Similar price range to your two options, I have the acryl version with 2M Blue again. A lovely deck IMO. However, I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices.

SAM_3128_zpse4159c59.jpg

simongreenmind

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion of the Pro-ject turntable. I hadn't really considered one of theirs. My main local dealer is Sevenoaks and they stock the Rega and Pro-Ject stuff, so hopefully I could audition both. The cheaper price of the Project appeals to me, plus the carbon arm etc.

simongreenmind

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I tried an RP6 today. Tidier sounding than my Systemdek, but wasn't hearing the sort of clarity improvement I was looking for. Think I'll try the Clearaudio next, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

if all goes well, i'm hoping to have on of these in my hands by the middle of next week.

it is basically a turntable arm and cart made by clearaudio, but branded marantz. i will keep you informed regarding the purchase, if and when this happens, in the meantime, have a look at a few reviews, it seems to be a decent piece of kit.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
simongreenmind said:
I tried an RP6 today. Tidier sounding than my Systemdek, but wasn't hearing the sort of clarity improvement I was looking for. Think I'll try the Clearaudio next, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Did you hear it with the Exact cartridge?

The Exact aint exactly the best cart for that deck - Something like a Nag MP200 would be an improvement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts