Upgrade a Systemdek IIX for a Rega RP3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My setup consists of...

Systemdek IIX turntable

Linn Basik LV X tonearm

A&R Cambridge p77

I have been getting into vinyl again a lot more recently and was wondering if "updating" to a Rega RP3 was worthy of consideration, or just not bother with such a small potential gain?

Cheers

Neil

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I demoed a Rega RP3 last year out of interest, and to be honest it would have been a backward move for me, at best sideways. A very good deck for the money for sure, but no better than what you already have, assuming yours is all functioning correctly. Your cartridge must be a pretty old one so you might want to look at that aspect before laying out for a new deck. A good service would not go amiss either.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies chaps. What would you recommend for a new cartridge? I have to stick with MM as I don't think my amp can do MC.

Cheers

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I used to use a P77 a very long time ago, so your's must be on the aging side. I upgraded to an Ortofon 2M Black in December; it's the perfect excuse to re-acquaint yourself with your vinyl. Top notch cartridge

A

Anonymous

I plumped for and have just fitted the Ortofon 2M Red. I am not that taken with it to be honest, while the resolution is certainly there, the warmth and bass just don't come through at all. It all sounds a bit CD like.

I am sitting here listening to Bowie's "Aladdin Sane" LP and its hurting my ears a bit like CD in places.

A

Anonymous

I'm warming to the Ortofon 2M Red now, but by-god is it sensitive to dust! A few pieces and straight away things start to get very fuzzy indeed. A couple of albums I've had to stop after only one track and clean the needle.

Is it supposed to be like this?

englishbobsnr said:
I'm warming to the Ortofon 2M Red now, but by-god is it sensitive to dust! A few pieces and straight away things start to get very fuzzy indeed. A couple of albums I've had to stop after only one track and clean the needle.

Is it supposed to be like this?

I don't think so. Try getting a carbon fibre record brush.

Sorry JD beat me to it!

A

Anonymous

I had a similar problem when I upgraded to an Ortofon 2M Black. Your new stylus is getting deeper in the groove than your old one ever did and is dragging up muck that your old cartridge never touched. Yes, record cleaning is the way to go but I would go for more than just a carbon fibre brush. The Disco Antistat cleaner or the Spin Clean Record Cleaner are the next step up and should produce better results. Vacuum record cleaners (Moth, Okki Nokki, etc.) are better still but at a high cost.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies chaps. I think I may of sussed it, I think it was the anti-skate being set too high from the mid-point of the record onwards.

The arm was perfect from the right but as it moved to the centre I think a combination of the dust and the skate setting pushed it off-target somewhat.

Completely re-did my tonearm setup from scratch and, so far, all is well.

Do those record cleaners actually work?

A

Anonymous

Record cleaners definitely work, I am currently getting excellent results from my Okki Nokki record cleaner. The problem is justifying the cost, it all depends on how many records you own and how paranoid you are about damaging these records or your stylus. A carbon fibre brush only costs a few quid and (in my opinion) is a must. The Disco Antistat cleaner and the Spin Clean Record Cleaner cost £40 and £80 respectively and can be justified by most vinyl enthusiasts (although it is worth Youtubing some clips of them being used to be sure that you are prepared for the faff of using them). Vacuum cleaners start at £400 and cleaning fluid, replacement brushes etc will increase this further. Then again I've got over 2,000 records so the cost per cleaned record is reasonable and, yes, I am paranoid about stylus/record damage. You know the size of your own record collection and personal paranoia levels and can make your own judgement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts