System upgrade; is it worth it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently I have a Marantz Melody Media (M-CR603) with some black B&W 684's but I'm seriously considering getting back into a separates system

I'm tempted to go down the route of a Rega Brio R and the Marantz NA7004 as all my music is on my Mac and iTunes etc so I still need AirPlay functionality as I've hardly any CD's any more.

Has anyone heard the Rega Brio R in comparison to the Marantz 603? Any thoughts?

For me the 603 sounds fantastic but I've a hankering to get back to using some Acoustic Energy AE509 speakers I've got in the loft still and then I'd sell on the Bowers speakers and the CR603 system...

Would I be wasting my time; too much of a sideways step and not a true upgrade or will the Rega give me better options etc...?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
For me the 603 sounds fantastic but I've a hankering to get back to using some Acoustic Energy AE509 speakers I've got in the loft

So why don't you just hook them up and see how they sound?

A

Anonymous

Hi

Its not a case of the speakers sound etc... It's whether I'm going to get more from the Brio R and Marantz NA7004 set up over the CR603

A

Anonymous

Hi

Its not a case of the speakers sound etc... It's whether I'm going to get more from the Brio R and Marantz NA7004 set up over the CR603

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well the way your post is worded is that you wish to sell your current set-up because you want to listen to your AE's.

I also have the 603 (an expensive blind buy) but as my source of choice is CD-only I can't offer an opinion as to how the 603 used as an amplifier-only might compare against the Brio.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Can we assume all your CDs are ripped to Apple Lossless format?

If so, I can see an upgrade would be worthwhile, given either sets of speakers are likely to expose the wee 603.

TBH I'd look at a genuine jump up in capability, but value for money. Maybe a 2nd hand Linn Majik DS-I?

A

Anonymous

At nearly 60wpc I haven't found the CR603 wanting; in fact it's seriously impressed me!

Initially had Dali Lektor 2's then B&W 685's and now the 684's. The 603 drove the smallers speakers superbly and now manage the 684's easily. They sound fantastic and can go loud with no issues!

I also heard them with my Uncles Kef R300's and they sounded amazing

All music is in the highest bitrate (lossless etc...)

May also consider a DAC also

A

Anonymous

At nearly 60wpc I haven't found the CR603 wanting; in fact it's seriously impressed me!

Initially had Dali Lektor 2's then B&W 685's and now the 684's. The 603 drove the smallers speakers superbly and now manage the 684's easily. They sound fantastic and can go loud with no issues!

All music is in the highest bitrate (lossless etc...)

May also consider a DAC also

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:

All music is in the highest bitrate (lossless etc...) May also consider a DAC also

Sorry, and I'm not having a go, but if the sound is as good to your ears as you describe why are you looking to change if you're happy with what you've got? *confused*

A

Anonymous

It's fine :)

Im fickle but also may put the CR603 in my study with some speakers for a home-office system

SteveR750

Probably not as much of a jump forward to warrant all that hassle perhaps?

Save your money until you can make a bigger jump. Or just go wildly into debt whilst you still have a job / credit / and to hell with next week!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts