System matching my missions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After a fair bit of box swapping over the last few years, i am really enjoying my current setup. For the money, it is excellent and as good as other recent systems costing much more.

I am interested in opinions on what to do to give me a fuller sound as occasionally, with certain genres, i find it a little thin.

I am reluctant to change to floorstanders as after previously using them, i'm really enjoying my standmount missions and don't want to lose what they give me.
I could try adding a small sub but dont feel i need so much bass, although it would give movies a boost in the bass department. I have read that they can be hard to setup in a 2 channel system for music though.

Is my pioneer considered a good match for my speakers? Would a change to, say a Rotel/Arcam amp be a batter match? I have also considered a DAC upgrade (Rega or Rdac) but am reluctant to spend too much on a system that stands me about £600 including my apple TV.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm very impressed with the 751's. For the price, they are incredible and I'm glad I took a chance on them. As good as my rega r3's were, these sound so much more open. I like the a400 too but it just sounds a little thin in my setup. That was another bargain so I may look to match that with another pair of speakers for another room as I don't want to let it go for what I would get on eBay.
I notice you are using a rotel amp with your missions. Would you consider it a good match? Would it be worth bi amping the missions?

matthewpiano

Having owned a Pioneer A400 and having used it with Mission 751s (which I still own), I would agree entirely with The Record Spot that the Missions are the keepers out of the two. I've tried the Missions with a few amps over time. They worked very well with an Arcam A18, but even better on the end of a Rotel RA-04SE which really gripped them well. Some of the 90s Rotel amps like The Record Spot's one are truly excellent and I'd say it's well worth looking out for an RA-971 or similar.

A

Anonymous

Would an older rotel amp like the 971 be better than an ra-04se? Sorry, not sure how older/newer Rotels would compare and don't want to be downgrading from the pioneer. What about marantz or rega amps?

T

the record spot

Of the two, the Mission 751s are the keepers and I'm expecting Pioneer A400 fans to cast me into the pits of hell for that! The Missions will last many an upgrade, will go with beefier and more expensive amps than the A400 can with speakers and of course you can bi-amp them too. You'd need to spend a significant sum to better them too I'd suggest.

The 751s were part of the last truly great (IMO) speaker range Mission put out. I'd further that by saying it's arguably up there with some of the best you could've bought and the fact they're still being sought after now only highlights how good the range was. If you wanted to try a floorstander, try the 752 which is also a very fine speaker. The plaudits of the day went to the 753, but it implemented multiple drive units (four in each) and was a bulky old thing. Some feel the 752 is the technologically purer design. I'm no speaker designer, so I can't comment, I just know they're wonderful speakers! Enjoy whichever way you go!

T

the record spot

Gears of Law said:
I notice you are using a rotel amp with your missions. Would you consider it a good match? Would it be worth bi amping the missions?

I can't recall what perked my interest in the Rotel amp, but most likely I spotted one on Ebay a year or two back and was interested in the style. It's quite a bit different from others the company put out at the time (or went on to). Taller in height than the likes of the 971, more powerful (80wpc at 8ohms) and it could take a power amp as well which I might make use of one day. It's also been a good replacement for my old Sansui AU-717 which went to amp heaven a couple of months ago.

The 870BX works very well with the 751s, it also worked a treat with the 752s. I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. The slight trick is finding one - they don't come up too often but you should expect to pay around £70-100 or so. Mine was from a hospice shop in Harrogate I think. In near perfect condition, a bit dusty but that cleaned up quickly. Everything else was fine and it's in good use just now. Good phono stage too.

If you're looking to give another amp a spin that's a little less expensive, but almost as good, seek out a good example of Sansui's AU-217. I got mine, serviced and delivered off a seller on Ebay for £33 all in. It's an unheralded star. It dates from 1977 and you'll get about three inputs as well as a fine phono stage. It's not quite so good as the Rotel, but it's far from night and day. Highly recommended. The prices have gone up for it now a little (one seller was asking £90 for theirs recently, which is a tad keen IMO) but you should get one for under £70 quite easily. Make sure it's in good condition though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts