System matching for Arcam Avr 400

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Hello I have just bought a new Arcam Avr400. I want to build a system around it.

What Blu-ray players should I audition?

What speakers should i audition?

Music is very important. All suggestions will be appreciated.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Plus 1 on cnoevil for the kef r series. Might also be worth adding the MA GX series to your audition day.

On paper the oppo does have some great specs with good DAC's and elsewhere on here there are people who seem to really rate it for cd playback. Personally I have not heard it so can't comment. If you are going to stream your music and the blu ray is just for movies some of the less expensive models from the likes of Sony and Panasonic are really quite impressive for the money. My Denon player with avr400 is great for movies but cd playback is not very good.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I have hear the Monitor Audio GX50 and I was very impressed. I calculated that a GX 5.1 could be very expensive.

For a Blu-Ray I have thougt of the Arcam BdP300, Oppo bDP105eu, Marantz UD7006 and Cambridge Audio Azur 752.

The Arcam is the obvious choice but light of features. The Oppo must e good because my dealer has one for personal use. The Marantz and Cambridge Audio are goo value and have lots of features.

Its just what one would complement the Avr400.

Arcam blu ray players have reliability issues. Latest Marantz is UD7007. Also check Denon 3313UD.

If you have the Arcam, you don't really need the player to decode audio, so Oppo 105 is waste of money. Look at 103 instead. Same as 105 but inferior DACs in analogues which you won't be using. Connect via HDMI & get the Arcam to decode audio.

Personally, I would go for Denon 1713UD if I were you. It's a blu ray transport, so no money is wasted on DACs & features you won't use as you already have one of the best AV receivers. All you need is an excellent source, which the Denon is. It's a myth that expensive receivers need expensive players to pair with. It's the contrary in fact.

D

Deleted member 2457

My Oppo works well with my Pioneer amp, and I didn't think the Marantz 7007 worked as well.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
If music is important do I still need a better Blu-Ray player with dedicated audio board or will the Avr400 be able to take the information from a lesser Blu-Ray player and make it sound just as good?

CraigDS said:
If music is important do I still need a better Blu-Ray player with dedicated audio board or will the Avr400 be able to take the information from a lesser Blu-Ray player and make it sound just as good?

It should sound just as good. Denon makes some excellent transports. Demo the 1713UD & compare with other players of your choice. I'll be surprised if you find the Denon to be any inferior.

audiodarkness

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Oppo, I have one and its great. I have seen the Arcam and picture is much better than the Oppo, but I couldnt justify the price at the moment. Cant really comment on speakers, Im a stereo only man

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I heard that the Arcam BDP300 was an oppo in a new coat that Arcam have tweaked slightly to work on stereo playback. Might be nonsense as it was just hi fi show gossip.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
A Bowers and Wilkins Engineer at the Briatol Show tol me an Arcam Av reciever was a NAD in a new suit. I remember reading a review of the Oppo and te reviewer did mention that the Oppo formed the base for a lot of othe Blu-Ray players. I'm sure some gossip is true.

I love cars and I'm well aware of company's using the same engines, chassis and components in different brands of cars. Why don't we start a thread that list the manufactures and there components. It woul help if dealers and manufacturers helped with input as well?

( for an example the next Aston Martins will use Mercedes Engines and the Bently Continental used a VW/Audi chassis. It gets even more complicated when you talk about the average family hatchback)

TRENDING THREADS