System for Sonus Faber cremona speakers

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Its a matter of space 4 me.. I just got some Sonus faber speakers. My source is a cambrigde audio 840c cd player. The question is i got around 2 to 3grand to spend on an amp, but with space being a problem,am looking at getting an AV amp as suppose to a processor and power amps.

Would i get a good 2 channel performance 4 those Sonus faber speakers?.. Just not sure were to go from here. What type of performance level would i get from a 3grand av amp compared 2 a to channel amp.... What price level would it compare with a 2 channel amp...? Am looking at Arcam or Marantz Brands 4 an av amp. May be i could get an amp which i can upgrade at a later date with a power amp. but of cause this will be when i have moved house.

Any suggestions welcome Cheers!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you need an AV amp or just a 2 channel setup? Which Cremonas do you have ... the floorstanders?

[PS] ... oh ... and what amplification do you currently use?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I currently got a Marantz PM8003 amp. Yes the sonus faber are floor standing. I need an av amp but want a good 2 channel performance... or something i can upgrape at a later date.. said power amps etc...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Bloody good speakers, mate, and unless you get something of the likes of Krell you'll not find much in the way of AV to do them justice.

You'd be better off getting integrated amps like Electrocompaniet, Musical Fidelity, Bryston or something of similar quality and connecting them to that, with a cheap AV amp that allows you to connect a stereo amp for the front speakers.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, the Sonus Faber Cremona....maybe will be my speakers next year :dance:

I bet they sound amazing...hopefully I will get the MF AMS35i to connect...that should be a nice match, right?

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep, AV receiver isn't the way to go for amp. Get a AV Reciver with front L/R pre-outs and a good integrated with a fixed-gain input that'll do the Sonus Faber's justice. I'd be thinking Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta.

A

Anonymous

Native_bon said:
Hey thanx guys.. I do have a marantz Sr6003AV amp with preamp outputs, but will that not affect sound Quality..... Cheers.
Yes, it will. The AV preamp stage will probably not match the quality of the stereo amp. But given your equipment, there is an easy way to test that if you haven't already: connect your SR's preouts to the Direct-In inputs of the 8003 and see if you can live with that quality.

Besides, if you get an integrated two-channel amp with a fixed input (like the 8003 is), you can connect your two-channel sources directly to the stereo amp and bypass the preamp stage of the AV receiver.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend an Arcam AVR600, if you can find one in budget (maybe ex-dem). Really good 2 channel capability, especially when bi-amped and through stereo direct.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would recommend an Arcam AVR600, if you can find one in budget (maybe ex-dem). Really good 2 channel capability, especially when bi-amped and through stereo direct.
Not with this level of speaker, I suggest! Be like putting a Fiat Panda motor into a Ferrari...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
CnoEvil said:
Not with this level of speaker, I suggest! Be like putting a Fiat Panda motor into a Ferrari...

I don't agree AL. Have you ever heard one? I did a shoot out with MF M6i, Moon I7 and Coda (CSi I think) and preferred the Arcam. It has no problem driving some Kef Ref 205/2 to a surprisingly good level. Peter Moncrieff of Widescreen Review, says, and I quote, "the finest sound I've heard in my life from any system. Ever. Anywhere."..but that's taking things a bit far. :shifty: There's a link to the review on the Arcam website if you are interested.

EDIT. Here's a comprehensive (subjective) insight: http://www.iar-80.com/page161.html

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
You did the "shoot-out" with the Cremonas?? I don't personally like them, but they're top speakers and worthy of much better. Besides, given the arcams are usually a bit cocoa and slippers as I've said before, with the SFs they'd add a coating of treacle...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanx guys 4 all the info.. I had a word with some hifi shops & they are telling me i can get really good sound from Av amps these days. some how, i dnt know if just trying 2 sell me stuff. some have agreed 2 to do home demo so i can compare some Av amps with 2channel amps. I would let my ears do the hearing.

As regards putting my 8003 through the av amp i could not tell much of difference in sound quality.

Hey but i know i really need to get a good amp behind them speakers

Thanx again!!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
They're only interested in selling, don't believe a word they say.

You need to borrow something like the Electrocompaniet or Bryston when you do the comparison, too, so you can hear the different levels of performance.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
You did the "shoot-out" with the Cremonas?? I don't personally like them, but they're top speakers and worthy of much better. Besides, given the arcams are usually a bit cocoa and slippers as I've said before, with the SFs they'd add a coating of treacle...

Like I said, have you heard the AVR600, which doesn't have the traditional Arcam sound?

If you scroll through the link, it explains how Class G is a bit special and how/why the amp manages to stay in Class A for longer, thus shedding light on why it may sound so good.

As in all things, it was a suggestion for the OP to try, given what he wants to achieve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts