System building advice..

iamj

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to hifi and hope some of you may have come across similar problems and might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I currently have a Denon AVR-1706 playing through Mordaunt Short 902i speakers. I have Panasonic TV connected via toslink, my Mac mini connected via toslink and a Project Debut Carbon connected through a Project Phono Box II.

I would like to upgrade the Denon with a stereo amp as I'm not going to be using surround sound and understand I should get better performance from a stereo amp. I would also like to upgrade the speakers but am thinking I will do the amp first?

I don't have much of a budget but have been discussing integrated amps such as the marantz pm6005 and yamaha R-N500.

My query is whether this is the right way to go. The marantz seems a good option but only has one toslink and one coax connection, I need two toslink for the tv and Mac mini. The option here would be to connect the tv to the marantz and then get a dac like the hrt music streamer II for the mac.

But, then, would it be better to get a dacmagic 100 and connect the tv via optical and the mac via usb and just get a slightly older but better stereo amp with no optical inputs?

Your advice would be much appreciated, then I will be able to have a setup that I can start auditioning speakers with.

Thanks in advance.

MaxD

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
iamj said:
My query is whether this is the right way to go. The marantz seems a good option but only has one toslink and one coax connection, I need two toslink for the tv and Mac mini. The option here would be to connect the tv to the marantz and then get a dac like the hrt music streamer II for the mac.

Thanks in advance.

You could get NAD D 3020 integrated amp with integrated high quality DAC, it have two Toslink (one shared with a line in), one coaxial, one USB, one or two line (it depends if you do decide to keep the second line or keep the second Toslink), it sound very, very good with vinyls (you should get a phono box for that), it do have a subwoofer port and it works fantastic with my MA BX2.
It also got the best hi-fi Bluetooth around: ApTX.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
iamj said:
Hi all,

I am new to hifi and hope some of you may have come across similar problems and might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I currently have a Denon AVR-1706 playing through Mordaunt Short 902i speakers. I have Panasonic TV connected via toslink, my Mac mini connected via toslink and a Project Debut Carbon connected through a Project Phono Box II.

I would like to upgrade the Denon with a stereo amp as I'm not going to be using surround sound and understand I should get better performance from a stereo amp. I would also like to upgrade the speakers but am thinking I will do the amp first?

I don't have much of a budget but have been discussing integrated amps such as the marantz pm6005 and yamaha R-N500.

But, then, would it be better to get a dacmagic 100 and connect the tv via optical and the mac via usb and just get a slightly older but better stereo amp with no optical inputs?

Your advice would be much appreciated, then I will be able to have a setup that I can start auditioning speakers with.

Thanks in advance.

You have a similar selection of sources to me, with the exception of the TT, which could be taken care of with a phono stage.

Have a look at the AVI ADM9 speakers, you might be able to get a great deal on a used pair. You would also not need a separate DAC or amplifier.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You can upgrade gradually, I prefer to do in big steps and then keep for years, if you can find some AVI ADM9s then I would go for them, around £700 inc. dac, amp and speakers, will be a big step up from what you have now.

iamj

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at both options.

I had actually completely passed by the NAD D 3020 so I will have to have a closer look as it seems like it has everything I am looking for, just looks a bit like a projector!

I think the Speakers look interesting, but are more than i can spend in one go at the moment. They also wouldn't leave much room for change. I think I'd prefer to go the separates route so i can play with different options until I am happy.

If anyone can think of anything else I would have missed, please let me know.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts