synology ds211j with naimuniti

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

I am looking to get the above NAS to stream to my NaimUniti but am not sure how its going to work. My music is stored on my macbook in itunes in apple lossless. I have a few questions if anyone can help me:

How easy is it to set up the NAS and transfer my music to it?

Will the uniti be able to see my music or do i need to change format, download software etc?

can i control the stored music with the nstream app on the ipone/ipad?

Any input appreciated

pete

John Duncan

It's probably going to be best to change formats, since the Uniti can't play Apple Lossless natively, it needs to be transcoded first - I uses Elgato Eyeconnect on my Mac to do that, but it might be harder to find a UPnP server that'll run on a NAS and will transcode. i just did a quick google and I can see people who claim to have done it, but you might be better off converting the whole lot in something like Max and being done with it.

As for nStream - yes, it's very effective. In fact, I would suggest that it's almost mandatory, since navigating the music with the Uniti's screen is somewhat tedious.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the same Synology NAS with my Uniti and it's performs fine. Can't comment on your first problem as I ripped all my CD's to the NAS using dbPoweramp from my desktop. Agree with JD, the n-stream app is pretty much essential though oddly I've only ever been able to get it to work on my iPhone and not my iPad - neither my dealer or Naim appear to have any idea why that would be!

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the input guys and please excuse my ignorance with all matters streaming - just cant seem to get to grips with it but you never learn unless you try!

I have downloaded the max software but not entirely sure what to do. i have selected FLAC as the output format. when i click on the output tab it gives me the option to save the file in a music folder or in the same location as the source file (presume this is itunes?)

i presume what i am trying to do is convert all my tracks in my itunes library so i can then copy the library to the NAS which in turn can be read by the Uniti?

do i just hit "convert files" at this stage?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts