Synergy is more important than some of us realise!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iceman16

How would you you know if an amp or source is bright,warm or somewhat dull? by just reading reviews? Listen and if possible demo them at home at your comfort listening position. I've been to Bristol show twice and listened to many demos there(I know room acoustic is poor) but not impressed at all( compared to money I've spend).Trust your ears mate:)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking about what is meant by 'synergy' with regard to Hi-Fi.

Dictionary definitions of the word synergy say it is the interaction of 2 or more things giving a combined affect greater than the sum of their parts.

This definition makes sense. I am not an expert with electronic terms and definitions so some of what I understand will be wrong.

Just on amplifiers: 2 amps from different manufacturers may measure almost identically (flat frequency response) when presented with an 8 Ohm load so should perform the same.

What happens when they are asked to drive a pair of speakers though?

Speaker impedance ranges from far below to far above 8 Ohms.

One amp may cope well, the other may not.

There are multiple interactions – source to amp, amp to speakers, speakers in room, room layout.

Synergy is when you have all these components working well together to produce an accurate (as far as possible) rendition of what you are listening to, perhaps beyond what they should be capable of given their specifications & price level.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
FennerMachine said:
I've been thinking about what is meant by 'synergy' with regard to Hi-Fi.

Dictionary definitions of the word synergy say it is the interaction of 2 or more things giving a combined affect greater than the sum of their parts.

This definition makes sense. I am not an expert with electronic terms and definitions so some of what I understand will be wrong.

Just on amplifiers: 2 amps from different manufacturers may measure almost identically (flat frequency response) when presented with an 8 Ohm load so should perform the same.

What happens when they are asked to drive a pair of speakers though?

Speaker impedance ranges from far below to far above 8 Ohms.

One amp may cope well, the other may not.

There are multiple interactions – source to amp, amp to speakers, speakers in room, room layout.

Synergy is when you have all these components working well together to produce an accurate (as far as possible) rendition of what you are listening to, perhaps beyond what they should be capable of given their specifications & price level.
NICE!!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Tear Drop said:
Native_bon said:
Its not a flaw if it sounds right to you.. Your just trying to be smart :shame:

I'm not 'trying to be' anything. A flaw is a flaw. Maybe your goals in hifi differ from mine, but 'it sounds right to me' really has nothing to do with high fidelity and is an attitude which I believe promotes mediocrity in music reproduction, as essentially it means that everything has equal value, and that there is nothing truly exceptional to strive for.
My goal is to enjoy music on my hifi.. Why must I have to listen to you to enjoy my music... You enjoy yours the way you see fit & so do I. I got ears and i use them. SIMPLES!

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lol... oh FennerMacine, you crack me up.....

Have you recieved your new amp yet and what will you do if the reciever sounds better in your 'enviroment' than the new amp.

I have long championed the ability of my own 'old reciever' on these pages and believe the ability of these amps to drive 5speakers, plus sub & even a 2nd zone ( at plus 60wpc ) makes them far more capable of driving a stereo set up than dedicated and more expensive stereo amps (in my experience, I will say). they also control more difficult speakers better too - imo with the added flexibility of a built in dac plus other useful features.

anyhoo, your post fascinate me - so please let us know how they compare........ :)

p.s, how long have you had that Denon tucked away - and all this time I'm here telling you to dump the old Quad kit......prrrrft.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had the Denon amp since before the Cyrus kit, over 10 years maybe.

I've used it with various speakers and compared it to my stereo amps.

The Denon has always done a good job, but dedicated stereo amps, depending on the speakers, have usually done a better job with stereo music.

I've used it mainly for centre and rear speakers.

It will be interesting when I get the ST40, hopefully in March.

The Denon is a nice amp with the Quad 21L2 speakers. I'm hoping the ST40 brings that extra realism & more natural sound that I heard when I demoed it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts