Switch to Streaming - advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a now (dated?) HiFi system:

Aracam Alpha CD player
Linn Intek
EPOS ES14

I have recently purchased a Squeezebox Duo and am now using it as the main source. The reason is that I was getting load of use from Ipod and have all my CD collection on Itunes. Have started the tedious process of re-importing CD's into lossless format.

I have two questions, the first is about getting better performance from the duet. I tried a simple A/B comparison between lossless stream and the original CD and the CD has better detail and much punchier bass (very noticible on Gorillaz - Plastic Beach). So I assume that as I am streaming lossless then the only difference will be the DAC? If so can anyone suggest an upgrade that will make a difference (I had in mind the DACMagic)

The second question is of the three system components above which would give me the biggest benefit in sound quality if I upgraded and (as these were, I think, mid range products when I bought them) would even modest hifi today give me a better sound?

Any help / comments appreciated.

nads

yes a dac would be a big improvement over the Duo.

should have got the touch.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice - so would DacMagic give a noticable improvement? (and I know I should have got the touch but it wasnt out when I purchased the Duo
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

NigelCollins:Thanks for the advice - so would DacMagic give a noticable improvement? (and I know I should have got the touch but it wasnt out when I purchased the Duo
emotion-6.gif
yes dacmagic will be very good
at its price but there is now a musical fidelity new dac at £400 looks interesting as well,
also try before you buy as you can take dacmagic back if you dont like it.

nads

I ran the DAC Magic with my SB3 and it was a noticeable improvement. ran it with my touch and could not tell the difference.

they say the Duo DACs are the same as the SB3.

I know have the SB3 in the Kitchen with some powered speakers.
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts