Question Swapping Android Phone

Samd

About to change Android for Android both Samsung. Currently using sim only contract. Am I right in thinking that if all data (contacts etc) are on sim rather than phone and I purchase outright an unlocked phone, all I need to do is move over sim and data card and Bob's my uncle or does the provider need to be involved at all please?

About to change Android for Android both Samsung. Currently using sim only contract. Am I right in thinking that if all data (contacts etc) are on sim rather than phone and I purchase outright an unlocked phone, all I need to do is move over sim and data card and Bob's my uncle or does the provider need to be involved at all please?
As far as I am aware the provider does not get involved in this and backing up contacts to SIM should be all you need to do.
At least it's all I have ever needed to do.
No expert in this field mind you.... :)

I'm sure Al's right. There are a couple of text apps though - one of which carries across automatically, the other, not. A quick Google should help, and you if necessary you can transfer across from one to the other before you make the change.

Also, remember to unlink the old phone from your Google account before you delete anything from it - if you delete contacts without unlinking, it'll do so from the new phone too.

Swapping phones and migrating gets ever-easier, mercifully.

jjbomber

Depend what you set them up as. If you set it up to save to the SIM, that's fine. If you set it up to save them on your phone, Samsung have their own app to transfer everything across. Download the Smart Switch app from the Play store if it's not already on the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

abacus

You can just change the Sim over providing it is the same size (Or it can be trimmed to the smaller size of modern phones) and it will work as before.
Samsung’s also come with an app (Or it can be downloaded from the play store) that uses Wi Fi for direct transfer of all apps and data from the old phone to the new. (You don’t need to have the Sim in to do this) https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-switch-my-android-device/

Bill

Samd

You can just change the Sim over providing it is the same size (Or it can be trimmed to the smaller size of modern phones) and it will work as before.
Samsung’s also come with an app (Or it can be downloaded from the play store) that uses Wi Fi for direct transfer of all apps and data from the old phone to the new. (You don’t need to have the Sim in to do this) https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-switch-my-android-device/

Bill
Samsung Smart Switch - THAT was the bit that I thought I did have to do so had sought of disregarded - thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts