Swap 20 yr old box for secondhand sky hd one

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Having a few problems today. Anyway we want to swap a 20 yr old sky box for secondhand sky hd box.We don't require sky hd or sky plus, so can we run it off one feed cable and then do we contact sky for a new card.Or do they pair up our old card.Any help much appreciated

lobby said:
Having a few problems today. Anyway we want to swap a 20 yr old sky box for secondhand sky hd box.We don't require sky hd or sky plus, so can we run it off one feed cable and then do we contact sky for a new card.Or do they pair up our old card.Any help much appreciated

I think Sky needs to acknowledge your new box to get it working. Just contact Sky & explain this to them.

Having said that, if you've been with Sky for over 20 years, the least they can do is give you a Sky HD box for free.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
No ive contacted them over 6 times this year and they wont budge, so ive been given a secondhand box just need to know if i can use it without calling out an engineer as we only have one feed cable.And the dish is situated on the chimney breast.Not sure they will even go onto the roof to alter the dish as weve had to call out an independent enginer to fix a new dish 5 yrs ago.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lobby said:
No ive contacted them over 6 times this year and they wont budge, so ive been given a secondhand box just need to know if i can use it without calling out an engineer as we only have one feed cable.And the dish is situated on the chimney breast.Not sure they will even go onto the roof to alter the dish as weve had to call out an independent enginer to fix a new dish 5 yrs ago.

Are you actually a Sky customer or are you just using a Sky box as a freesat box?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
We r a Sky customer and have been with them for over 20 yrs and had full subscription until this year when we did away with the movie packages.Having 3d blu-ray player and a very large film collection we though whats the point in paying for for channels we don't use so cancelled that part of the subscription.After numerous amount of calls they still refuse to offer any discount or even a free replacement box, therefore we have decided to go the secondhand route and config one ourselves.Just wanted to make sure we where ok with setting it uo before pulling out the older box and reconnecting.Thanks for your comments i think we have the answer now and should be setting it up soon.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes we got sky in 1990, our property is so close to the woods, and trees have grown so high at the time we could not get a decent signal from our aerial this was the only way to watch tv. The dish had to be mounted on the chimney breast to receive a signal and has caused a few problems from the weather. We dont want to be with out sky so we haven't cancelled, if they could just give us a free box then we wouldn't even have to think about cancelling, i know many do our friends did and got a great deal and when we asked they said for new customers only.So loyalty counts for nothing these days.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, you do have other options now in the form of Freesat. So even if you don't want to, you could ask to speak to the cancellation department and say what you think and that you're thinking of just moving to Freesat. Worst case is they tell you the same and you just put the phone down instead of cancelling. But if you haven't gone through to the cancellation department yet, that's where the deals are done.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

professorhat said:
Well, you do have other options now in the form of Freesat. So even if you don't want to, you could ask to speak to the cancellation department and say what you think and that you're thinking of just moving to Freesat. Worst case is they tell you the same and you just put the phone down instead of cancelling. But if you haven't gone through to the cancellation department yet, that's where the deals are done.

+1

I was with Sky for only 3 or 4 years when my Sky HD box failed, I rang them and said I want to leave because my box has failed (losing recordings/freezing), and there is no point staying with you without a box that works properly. They said they would give me a new box and send an engineer to replace my dish and check my cabling as long as I paid for the engineer and agreed to another 12 months with them. I agreed 12 months, but no go on paying for the engineer, they then agreed to what I said.

New dish, new box, cabling checked and no fee.

How? Just said I'd go with freesat.

Be strong, don't back down. You are a very loyal customer, and the very least they should do for you is what I got.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

According to SKY www site:

Free Sky+HD box & free set-up offer:[/b] Upgrade to Sky+HD to get a free Sky+HD box with free standard set-up (Sky+ customers must select self set-up). Existing Sky+HD box households are not eligible for a discounted box. One free box per household. 12 month min term.

As long as you accept you are signing a new contract for 12 months and you take out an HD pack subscription (pointless getting an HD box and not doing this anyway) then you are eligible for a free box.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts