SVS active sub to Yamaha A-S3000

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I’ve basically read my SVS subs manual and my Yamaha A-S3000 manual but still not sure if I’ve made the right connections or not .

I am meant to use the Pre-outs on the Yamaha A-S3000 which would mean I would be using the L+R connection using RCAs on the Pre-out section on the back of the Yamaha .

On the SVS SB2000 subwoofer I have a section called OUT : line level L+R and the other section which is called IN : L+R but the R / LFE

Now with the home cinema connection I just use a single connection on the IN R /LFE which leaves L in the IN section which I’ve used a single connection from there to the Yamaha but the Yamaha uses L+R connection on the Pre-out section this is the bit that’s confusing me because on the Subwoofer end I am not making a L+R connection only a L .

Now I am getting bass coming though the sub from the Yamaha but it’s just thoses things I’ve mentioned above that’s confusing me to no weather I’ve made the right kind of connection as I am pretty sure it should be a L+R connection on the sub and the Yamaha Am I wrong or right ?

Anyway I thought I would try to find out what the sub will do with music but I also need to keep the connection for the home cinema so I kind of want to share the sub with 2 channel music and also for home cinema which is already sorted on that front .

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Right I’ve basically read my SVS subs manual and my Yamaha A-S3000 manual but still not sure if I’ve made the right connections or not .

I am meant to use the Pre-outs on the Yamaha A-S3000 which would mean I would be using the L+R connection using RCAs on the Pre-out section on the back of the Yamaha .

On the SVS SB2000 subwoofer I have a section called OUT : line level L+R and the other section which is called IN : L+R but the R / LFE

Now with the home cinema connection I just use a single connection on the IN R /LFE which leaves L in the IN section which I’ve used a single connection from there to the Yamaha but the Yamaha uses L+R connection on the Pre-out section this is the bit that’s confusing me because on the Subwoofer end I am not making a L+R connection only a L .

Now I am getting bass coming though the sub from the Yamaha but it’s just thoses things I’ve mentioned above that’s confusing me to no weather I’ve made the right kind of connection as I am pretty sure it should be a L+R connection on the sub and the Yamaha Am I wrong or right ?

Anyway I thought I would try to find out what the sub will do with music but I also need to keep the connection for the home cinema so I kind of want to share the sub with 2 channel music and also for home cinema which is already sorted on that front .

I don't think you should be connecting two amps to the sub this way as it will be receiving signals from both. I think you can try 5.0 with the sub on the 3000 or 5.1 with the sub on the 1070 but not both.

James

I don't think that you should be using the pre outs either...they'd be for a external power amp....I can't think why yamaha didn't give their flagship amp a dedicated sub woofer output . weird...usually if this is the case isn't the subwoofer piggy backed on one of the speaker terminals from the amp and onto the sub.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I don't think you should be connecting two amps to the sub this way as it will be receiving signals from both. I think you can try 5.0 with the sub on the 3000 or 5.1 with the sub on the 1070 but not both.

James
My Av amplifier will not be going when I listen to music as I do not run 2 amplifiers at the same time if that’s what you meant

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
you will want both channels I am wondering if a 2 to 1 adaptor i.e. 2 rca's to 1 like a Y adaptor in reverse.

email svs their tech support is ace

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I don't think that you should be using the pre outs either...they'd be for a external power amp....I can't think why yamaha didn't give their flagship amp a dedicated sub woofer output . weird...usually if this is the case isn't the subwoofer piggy backed on one of the speaker terminals from the amp and onto the sub.
because that’s where Yamaha say to connect a active sub on the Pre out section as the Yamaha A-S3000 is a floating amplifier design because I would put the amplifier into protection mode if I connected inline with my speakers on the speaker terminals

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
you will want both channels I am wondering if a 2 to 1 adaptor i.e. 2 rca's to 1 like a Y adaptor in reverse.

email svs their tech support is ace
yes that’s what I was starting to think my self using a Y adapator

so my thinking is correct then you need to use both L+R in the IN section ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Anyway I thought I would try to find out what the sub will do with music

Hi Bs25

Now you’re talking. Nice one *smile* I’d try not use a two channel/music system without a sub or two.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
well the Dali opticon 8s can produce some good bass already but didn’t want to add more bass but I was thinking if I tried a subwoofer with music maybe there would be a bit more control or more defined bass not that I have an issue with that it was just an experiment really as I’ve already got the sub so thought I would give it a go .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
But both amps will when you are using the 1070, F L&R go to the 3000 LFE go to the sub, 3000 will go to L&R&sub.
currently I just use the one connection for AV which is the LFE but unsure what your saying about where the signal is being sent to be honest it’s not the end of the world if I can’t get it to work but thought I would give it a go .

the other option is just to take out the AVs sub lead and connect the RCAs to the L+R in then I would have both channels

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Yes bs use the pre outs Either single RCA or y connector to both and sum up the signal
I’ve got the RCAs but not the Y connection I would have to buy one that’s where maplins used to come in handy 

Don't expect the sub to have the same impact on the sound as it does on your AV amp watching a movie

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Yes bs use the pre outs Either single RCA or y connector to both and sum up the signal
I’ve got the RCAs but not the Y connection I would have to buy one that’s where maplins used to come in handy

Don't expect the sub to have the same impact on the sound as it does on your AV amp watching a movie
No Andrew I wouldn’t expect that mate .

i was just looking to see if there would be any improvement in things like drums as I already hear different parts of a drum kit quite well but looking to see if there would be anymore impact in that department .

and I’ve nearly got the money together for the new chord 2qut DAC which should give even more detail and focus so the Dac will be used for the Yamaha cd transport and streaming

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
what some has suggested is a good point.

if you use Yamaha 3000 for L and R in movies the sub will be fed 2 signals one from the av receiver and one from the 3000.
however svs must have designed the sub to work that I don't see any other way to do it.

might be worth a quick email to svs to check their response times are incredible

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The pre outs on the AS3000 are for connecting a stereo pair. In your present configuration you are only feeding the left channel bass to the sub. So you will need a Y cable to bridge your pre-outs into a mono signal to feed the L input of your sub.

The safest way forward is to see what crossover your A1070 has set for the sub. Then manually set the cross over dial on the sub to the same level.

Now once the above is done, the cross over is double implemented. The A1070 will not send any signal above the cross over signal to the AS3000. And the pre-out of the AS3000 which is now sending it's full received signal to the sub, will be above the subs cross over cutoff and will not be received in the subs amp section. This is a safer implementation.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
That first you have to set the sub level to your liking by ear alone, while playing music from the AS3000 directly, while keeping the A1070 off. Now that you have set the optimum level for your 2 channel music listening.

Next power on the A1070 and re calibrate your system with out adjusting your sub level on the svs. Just use sub level in the eq settings of the A1070. And you should be good for both HT and music duties with the same sub :)

If you want still better integration of the sub, you will have to trade the AS2100 for a parasound halo integrated :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
what some has suggested is a good point.

if you use Yamaha 3000 for L and R in movies the sub will be fed 2 signals one from the av receiver and one from the 3000. however svs must have designed the sub to work that I don't see any other way to do it.

might be worth a quick email to svs to check their response times are incredible
The main L+R speakers that I use for music and films are not plugged into the Pre section of the 3000 they are plugged into the main L+R section so I should be able do this

the 1070 is hooked up to the main L+R section of the 3000

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts