Surround sound HD set up for small/mid size lounge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,I would appreciate your advice on the following issue please.I currently have a Samsung PS42Q97HDX and Sky HD and I am looking at setting up a surround sound system and perhaps adding a HD DVD player to the mix.I do not have a very big lounge so I don’t need a really loud system (not too mention the neighbours) but I would like a good quality sound at sensible volumes so on reading your magazine I thought I would go for the ONKYO TXSR605 receiver with the Jamo A102 HCS5 speaker system. As for the HD- DVD again on reading your magazine I am considering the Toshiba HD-EP35.So what I would like to know is the following:1) Would the speaker system above give a good quality sound from the Sky HD and Tosh HD source ?2) With my current screen is it worth getting the HD player ? I have the possibility of getting a Samsung LE46M87 at a pretty good price or should I hold off and save up for the new LE46F87 as reviewed in your January Issue ?3) Is the Samsung LE46M87 24 fps compatable ? I hope the above makes sense.

A

Anonymous

You've got a Samsung PS42Q97HDX and you're thinking of replacing it with a Samsung LE46M87 -You're not serious are you?

I have the PS42Q97HDX and think it's a super TV. I would hang to it and unless of course you have 'more money than brains' old chap........I mean you must be getting great HD picture from SKYHD surely? IF so and you also want an HD or Blu Ray player why not then just get one of these and use with the PS42Q97HDX.

In my experience you really aren't going to notice a massive difference between 720p and 1080p. The Samsung Plasma with either SKYHD or HD/Blu Ray has lovely 'depth' in the picture ( as indeed it has with something like a DENON DVD 1940 anyway) and as for 24PFS I suggest you go out and buy a microscope to appreciate the full benefits of so called 24PFS.

The only thing I can agree with you on though is your AVR speaker combination

A

Anonymous

Hi Tallyho,

Many thanks for your opinion, I do really like the Q97 and yes the picture on SKY HD is awesome but I thought a full HD 1080p Samsung would be even better, having not seen them side by side and you read how much better 1080p is you always tend to think the grass is greener on the other side (so to speak).

The only issue I have with the Q97 is when watching football in SD as it is quite ghosty - do you know a decent set up that could help with this ? and I have seen SD footy on a friends 40" Samsung Lcd and there seemed to be much less ghosting and the ball in motion was quite clear.

If I were to buy a decent HD dvd and set it to 1080i or 720p upscaling will I iradicate any motion judder issues on the Q97?

Glad you approve of the AVR speaker combination as having not heard them it is good to hear that they are well thought of.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Jamos will shock you for the price. Excellent sound and as loud as you are ever going to need. I live in a detached house, albeit with two children (so turning up doesn't happen all the time), I haven't got past -10 on my receiver without having to shout to the missus next to me, "want some popcorn?"!

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="STEVEBRAY"] Many thanks for your opinion, I do really like the Q97 and yes the picture on SKY HD is awesome but I thought a full HD 1080p Samsung would be even better, having not seen them side by side and you read how much better 1080p is you always tend to think the grass is greener on the other side (so to speak).[/quote]

It's worth noting that Sky does not broadcast in 1080p and is unlikely to for a while, due to the bandwidth required to transmit all the information. You are getting the best signal into the TV already so if you are happy with it, it's not worth upgrading.

A

Anonymous

Hi Vooddoo Doctor,

Thanks for your input I see on your kit list you have the Tosh HD-EP35. I am considering buying the same unit what do you think about it and what TV are you running it on ?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Unfortunately, I appear to have a faulty EP35. It is all boxed up waiting to be picked up by Toshiba today. It has been having a problem with HD-DVD layer changes.

I would still recommend it though. The picture quality is great and HD audio via HDMI is thunderous. Much better than the 360 add-on. I run it into a Samsung 46 inch F86 LCD.

A

Anonymous

Hi Voodoo doctor,

I hope your right about the Tosh which I am sure you are as I have just ordered one. Decent deal as well £249.99 + 7 HD DVD'S including delivery.

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve, where did you get the EP35 for £249?

Gorge

A

Anonymous

Hi Gorge,

You can get it at PLAY.COM or Amazon. They are both in stock and include free delivery. The Play.com version ships with the "Bourne Ultimatum" and "300" HD DVD'S and you download a voucher for 5 more from Toshiba. Amazon don't state what 2 films comes in their box.

A

Anonymous

Be quick if you want the deal from Play, apparently the extra 5 dvd deal is only on until end Jan.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys I have just purchased an EP 35. It seems very good. I also have sky HD and a 37 Inch Samsung LCD that will only support up yo 1080i. Only got it yesterday from Amazon. Great Buy for £250. I was was going to buy a Playstation 3 for the blue ray but was advised this was better. Still have to admit though the SKY HD looks a little better.

Jason

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts