Surround 5.1 up to £400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

---lie---

Mar 3, 2007
Visit site
You’re welcome

the PS3 does a really good job, in an ideal world i would have a dedicated BR player, but I’m a big gamer so it more than does for now, also if you look around on the RS website and sign up for their VIP lounge you get a £10 off voucher, T&C's apply, but might be helpful driving down your spend some more, don’t forget to work out how much cable you will need, hope it all goes well for you.

A

Anonymous

---lie--- said:
You’re welcome

the PS3 does a really good job, in an ideal world i would have a dedicated BR player, but I’m a big gamer so it more than does for now, also if you look around on the RS website and sign up for their VIP lounge you get a £10 off voucher, T&C's apply, but might be helpful driving down your spend some more, don’t forget to work out how much cable you will need, hope it all goes well for you.

I like to play either, but I have Xbox360. It's a shame we can't share some play.

Thanks for all the advices, very usefull and money saving also.. I'll visit local RicherSounds this weekend and probably buy everything.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
KCooperman said:
didipot said:
duaplex said:
This is why im saying buy a package from Onkyo, you dont need to worry about speakers wire as they are provided. You will need to increase your budget if you go down any other route and i know this is not an option. Better yet go to a hifi shop and get them to include some cheap wire in the deal ;) You dont need the greatest wire on earth at this level.

Thanks for the tip, but I can't understand what you mean by "package from Onkyo"! Is it a complete set with 5.1 speakers and amp? Or is it the amp and then I find some cheap speakers to connect to it?

Sorry for my dumb questions
smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Yes it is a "All in One System" complete with everything you need (apart from HDMI cable) like this

However, you can not upgrade these because the speakers are designed only to work with the receiver and vice versa. So if you wanted to buy better speakers in the future you would have to ditch the whole system. This is what I did 3 times before realising that buying seperates is a much better option.

I now own a Denon 1910 & Kef 3005SE combo.

For all in ones like the Pioneer yes that is true, but the Onkyo 608 can work with other speakers.

A

Anonymous

For all in ones like the Pioneer yes that is true, but the Onkyo 608 can work with other speakers.

So what you're saying is that I can buy a Onkyo "all in one" and upgrade it in the future? Will the amp be any good?

p.s. - I can see you have a high tech home, with all gaming systems and everything. You even modded xbox 360, Wow.. congrats.. I'm didipot at xbox live, if you would be interested in friendship lol

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes thats it you can add other speakers, the onkyo 608 is a good strater AV for you and it has packed functionality that will keep you going. You could add other speakers to it later on thats not a problem.

Glad you like the mods and hme cinema :) i started off with a £300 system from comet 12 years ago and then recently upgraded to what you see now, so i know where you are coming from exactly. Always remember one golden rule, never listen to anything that cannot afford to buy.

I will give you an add on Live ;)

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
Yes thats it you can add other speakers, the onkyo 608 is a good strater AV for you and it has packed functionality that will keep you going. You could add other speakers to it later on thats not a problem. Glad you like the mods and hme cinema :) i started off with a £300 system from comet 12 years ago and then recently upgraded to what you see now, so i know where you are coming from exactly. Always remember one golden rule, never listen to anything that cannot afford to buy. I will give you an add on Live ;)

I just heard a cheap logitech system at Comet, just hurt my ears with those high tones.. after that, listen to a 5.1 bose and was amazed... So I can see what you mean, "not to listen what I can't afford"... but it was just there lol

thanks for the advice, but the 608 it's too much money for me... i'll go for Denon 1911, just don't know what speakers, I hear good things about the tannoy but they are a bit ugly, I love the looks on the Harman Kardon HKTS 7, but maybe they will compromise quality.. And the other option are the Boston Acoustics XS 5.1

p.s. - thanks for the add xbox live, hope to see you soon there

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
If you look at RS clearance bargains, you might find a good bargain as suggested by an ealier post.

Not knowing where abouts in the country you live & just browsing, i noticed they have a set of TANNOY EFX5.1 in black for £149.95 at their Eton store or the JAMO A102 HCS5 ( 4* What HiFi review ) at the same price in a lot of other stores.

Edit: The Harman Kardon HKTS 7 although i have not heard them, having looked at a few reviews i would see if you can get a demo of them 1st before buying, as the reviews by independent buyers look good & praise them.

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
If you look at RS clearance bargains, you might find a good bargain as suggested by an ealier post.

Not knowing where abouts in the country you live & just browsing, i noticed they have a set of TANNOY EFX5.1 in black for £149.95 at their Eton store or the JAMO A102 HCS5 ( 4* What HiFi review ) at the same price in a lot of other stores.

Edit: The Harman Kardon HKTS 7 although i have not heard them, having looked at a few reviews i would see if you can get a demo of them 1st before buying, as the reviews by independent buyers look good & praise them.

I live in London, so this weekend it's time to get around some local stores.. My nearest RS doesn't have those clearances, but maybe i'll go the distance to pick one of those.

thanks for your time and advice, may I know what would you consider yourself between tannoy efx and jamo a102?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Personally i would choose the tannoys but thats me.

I would see if you could get a demo of both sets of speakers with that Denon 1911 to see which you prefer sound wise, assuming the RS shop you go into has all of them.

I would advise you ring a few of them 1st to check they have your choices in stock.

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
Personally i would choose the tannoys but thats me.

I would see if you could get a demo of both sets of speakers with that Denon 1911 to see which you prefer sound wise, assuming the RS shop you go into has all of them.

I would advise you ring a few of them 1st to check they have your choices in stock.

Thanks again.. I guess I would have to be very lucky to get that demo from a store, but I'll try..

RS store with Tannoy's for £149 it's really far from where I live unfortunately. I'll search for prices to see if get some luck

Those Boston Acoustics XS you all say so many good things about them, and they are at a tempting £219... not easy

A

Anonymous

Just got backwards in av receiver since I haven't found Denon's 1911 below £200...

I guess I'll go for Yamaha, I'm looking at RXV 467 (£160) or RXV 567 (£180), can please anyone tell me your oppinion on these

Thanks

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
RS have them for £199.95 according to their shop check after doing a comparison, at 0726 this morning.

The following are London shops that are supposed have them, with the quantity in brackets are:- Bromley (2), Chelsea (1), Chiswick (1), City (2), Croydon (1), Holburn (1) & Southgate (2).

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
RS have them for £199.95 according to their shop check after doing a comparison, at 0726 this morning.

The following are London shops that are supposed have them, with the quantity in brackets are:- Bromley (2), Chelsea (1), Chiswick (1), City (2), Croydon (1), Holburn (1) & Southgate (2).

Thanks f1! I really went to RS Croydon and Bromley stores asking for Denon 1911 (£199) and also for the tannoy EFX (£149).. impressive as they told me they didn't had none or knew nothing about them at those clearence prices!?

I told them they are advertised on their website... They just said: "sorry, but we don't have them, Denon 1911 not even at higher price, and tannoy's we have brand new SFX, silver ones for £179.95, or black for £195.95

So i got stuck and went back home trying to find better deals, that's when I saw those Yamaha's RX-V467 or 567

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
As it says on the website you should always give them a ring 1st to check they have them in stock, reserve them if they have & they will keep them that day for you.

Didn't they have any Sony 810's in stock either then? I ask as the speakers you were interested in would probably be a better match for the Sony over the Yamaha.

A

Anonymous

f1only said:
As it says on the website you should always give them a ring 1st to check they have them in stock, reserve them if they have & they will keep them that day for you.

Didn't they have any Sony 810's in stock either then? I ask as the speakers you were interested in would probably be a better match for the Sony over the Yamaha.

True, they say to give them a call first, but I wanted to go there and see the products as I've never had seem them in person lol... The strange thing is that they said they didn't had the products at that price...

Anyway, my decision in speakers went to Jamo's A102HCS5, as I really couldn't live with the looks of Tannoy's SFX, really didn't like them...

I completely forgot about the Sony's 810, I went 100% for Denon 1911.. but now I remember it's good and had great reviews... do you think I should pay more £30 or £40 for it instead one of the Yamaha's?

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The Sony or the Yamaha's are entirely up to you.

You will have to ring up to arrange a demo.

I would get an audition if possible, of the Sony & the Yamahas, to make sure you like the sound coming out of it with your preference of speakers.

If your not sure, ring up the local RS or another HiFi shop, tell them your budget, & ask them what they would recommend. Make sure the amp you buy has all the right connections for all your requirements.

When you go dont forget to take a Blu-ray film with you & your favourite Cd so you can have a good listen & see if it's up to your expectations.

A

Anonymous

I read a comparison (forget where, sorry) between the Harman Kardon HKTS7, Jamo A102, Tannoy SFX, the Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS 5.1's and the HKTS7's walked it. This was the only mention I could find of this superiority, so I looked at the technical and aesthetic aspects and price, and the HK setup looks the best by a long way and has a beautifully finished big sub with 10" driver. As my room is hard to drive with bass, which just seems to go up the stairs (open plan) and vanish, leaving a bass-light sound downstairs, I went with the HK's. The bass end goes satisfyingly low and is dynamic with no overhang; vocals are clear. Sound effects like train crashes, spaceships are, well, realistic if such things can ever be so. Amp is a Yamaha 667 - I found I had to tweak up the treble in its graphic equalizer to get a good match but that could be my hearing which has definitely reduced treble compared with when younger. Great value, my black HKTS7's cost £220.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts